Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12965 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »

Some.  I don't know how much is in the book as I've only just started reading it, but in the film there was enough to make you hate that character and wish nasty things upon him.

I really recommend the movie, even if you don't like Rob Pattinson, you'll love Rosie!

I don't think i'll be able to watch it. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to animals and c onsidering I could barely read the book because of all the abuse, I doubt i'd be able to watch it. Rosie or no Rosie. Thanks Steph!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »

I was confused about that when I was reading the book, because he's very much a "beast" in the book, like in the Disney movie, and from the previews of the movie, it looked like they just made him look like a burn victim or something LOL.  I could have seen the book going that route too, where it was more metaphorical than literal animalistic BEAST, but since the book did make him that way, I wonder why the movie didn't too.  Maybe it would have been too hard to do and have it look realistic or something... I hate bad CGI.

Yeah, in the film he's covered in scars and tattoos and stuff and does look more like a burns victim, which is what I expected in the book to be honest.  Still enjoyable though!  Oh yes, I don't like bad CGI either.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:03 AM »

I don't think i'll be able to watch it. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to animals and c onsidering I could barely read the book because of all the abuse, I doubt i'd be able to watch it. Rosie or no Rosie. Thanks Steph!

I'm quite a wimp when it comes to sad films too, especially where children and animals are concerned.  I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button yesterday and cried so much at the end.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:44 AM »

Yes, me too. Now people in general can die all they want but leave the babies and animals alone!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2011, 06:06:51 AM »

Yes, me too. Now people in general can die all they want but leave the babies and animals alone!

Agreed!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2011, 03:47:58 AM »

I'm halfway through Water For Elephants and I have to say, the cruelty in the book is just awful!  The way those poor animals are starved and deprived of water in the heat :(  The film has nothing compared to the book.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »

I know! :( It was disturbing. I almost didn't get through it. I couldn't even get through her author's notes. Glad to know the movie isn't that bad. now you see why I kept asking about it lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »

Yeah, and I think you'd be OK with the film.  Nowhere near the amount as in the book.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »

I just finished "Water for Elephants" the other day.  I liked it, and I was pleasantly surprised with how it ended.  I was expecting a tragic ending; it just seemed like it was going to be the kind of book that would make me cry, but it didn't.  I enjoyed the happy ending, though I would have loved a good tearjerker, too.  I really wanna see the movie now; I never did see it when it was in theaters.  Reading the book made me want to watch Dumbo, too - now there's a tearjerker LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »

I am in the middle of Sarah's Key right now and it's one of the most depressing books I have ever read. You want to cry, try that one lol

I also love the mystery element of it. I'm hooked!

This is the first book i've read about the time of the Holocaust that I was actually overcome with so much hatred I actually had to stop reading for a little bit. The Book Theif, was a very different feel and is one of my all time favorite books. This one is just heartbreaking. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »

Glad you enjoyed Water for Elephants Julie, I loved it too.  The film is great :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »

I've heard of Sarah's Key, and it sounded good, but I haven't read it yet.  I'd probably like it; I love sad books, and the Holocaust stuff, although incredibly sad, is interesting.  I'll definitely have to check it out sometime.  I think there's a movie of it coming out at some point soon, too; I seem to remember seeing a trailer for it in the theater one time.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »

I love all the Holocaust stuff too.  One of my all time favourite films is The Pianist.  I'll have to look out for that.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »

The movie is out now actually. I don't want to see it until after I finish the book. Have either of your read The Book Theif? Excellent book that takes place during the Holocaust as well.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »

I've not read it, but will have to look out for it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10