Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pengi's Popsicle Stand - now open for business!  (Read 4448 times)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Pengi's Popsicle Stand - now open for business!
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »

So I decided to pop in here and open up my own thread for updates (I won't spam the crap out of this thread, promise!!). I'll be noting updates on my twitter also: http://www.twitter.com/writerbrat

Anyway, as of right now the fictions I'm currently working on are: Fix, Time Watcher.
Fix was updated today, and includes some pretty funny scenes in the Prius with Zoe and Nick! Time Watcher should be receiving an update within a week or two as I've almost got it ready to roll again!

But also I just wanted everyone to know that I have just completed the introduction to a sequel to Something Beautiful, which is entitled There's Us (I haven't posted that yet, but if you peek at the Something Beautiful page you'll notice it's listed as a series now). Let me know if there's any thoughts on where you guys would like to see that story go, I know Something Beautiful gathered a lot of attention, and while I have my own ideas for the plot line, I'm interested to know what you guys think, too!
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Pengi's Popsicle Stand - now open for business!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »

But also I just wanted everyone to know that I have just completed the introduction to a sequel to Something Beautiful, which is entitled There's Us (I haven't posted that yet, but if you peek at the Something Beautiful page you'll notice it's listed as a series now). Let me know if there's any thoughts on where you guys would like to see that story go, I know Something Beautiful gathered a lot of attention, and while I have my own ideas for the plot line, I'm interested to know what you guys think, too!

Ok, I have to ask... what would be the motivation behind a sequel? It was kind of a perfect story, with a perfect ending. Is there not concern that a sequel would tarnish the image of the original?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »

Ok, I have to ask... what would be the motivation behind a sequel? It was kind of a perfect story, with a perfect ending. Is there not concern that a sequel would tarnish the image of the original?

I second this question. I feel like a sequel would destroy the beauty of the original.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »

I was thinking that at first, too, but when I started writing out a plot line, I realized there's a lot that could still be said. There was a lot that I put into an unpublished epilogue that I think benefits the story. If I was just starting Something Beautiful, I would have found a way to work it into an introduction-like piece. I'm not so much looking to continue the story as much as to compliment it, if that make's sense?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »

I was thinking that at first, too, but when I started writing out a plot line, I realized there's a lot that could still be said. There was a lot that I put into an unpublished epilogue that I think benefits the story. If I was just starting Something Beautiful, I would have found a way to work it into an introduction-like piece. I'm not so much looking to continue the story as much as to compliment it, if that make's sense?

A companion piece does make more sense than a sequel for sure. I guess I would have to know what the plot was about.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »

It would contain a lot of backstory - Nick's memories mostly, combined with journal entries from Brian to tell the story. Amanda would be part of the "present", of course. It would be sort of like Nick's period of grief when everything is bittersweet.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

I wouldn't do a sequel then, if that's the case. Just call it a companion piece.

Julilly's right.  Something Beautiful was perfect in the way that it ended, and I think a sequel would seriously detract from the original story.
Sarah

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

It would contain a lot of backstory - Nick's memories mostly, combined with journal entries from Brian to tell the story. Amanda would be part of the "present", of course. It would be sort of like Nick's period of grief when everything is bittersweet.

I would definitely avoid the word sequel, then. And given that Something Beautiful kind of let us into the story in the middle of what was already happening, I can see a companion piece working.
~Maple Jellybean~

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »

I didn't realize the word made such a huge difference! But yes, it would be a companion piece. I mean it would feature a couple scenes of Nick and Amanda, because she would be the main recipient of the stories and memories that Nick would be having. But for the most part, the story wouldn't focus on them and their relationship. It would kind of just be a series of snapshots of what had made Brian and Nick's relationship so unique/special to begin with. I modified the image I made for it already to say the word "companion" rather than "sequel".

The story the companion tells is basically a part of the story that would've been included in the book if it were an original fiction novel (which I'm half thinking of working on developing it into one day in the future, with unique characters but that would be way in the future and something that I'd have to put a lot of thought and research into before doing). I know a lot of people were commenting on the story that they wanted to know what happened to Nick and Amanda afterward... This wouldn't be answering that question - other than to say that she did help him cope as Brian had hoped in the original story.

Additionally, I'm not looking for this companion piece to be as long as the original. I'm thinking it would probably be like an extended epilogue, maybe 5-10 chapters, tops.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:27:46 PM by Pengi »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

Sequel can sometimes become a four letter word lol It implies that the story isn't done. I think that Something Beautiful was done. There was nothing in it that made you think "oh she definitely left it open for a sequel!". A companion piece on the other hand just compliments the original story by giving some more insight or background, but the original story can survive without it. Someone who read SB doesn't have to read this one to feel like it's completed, but may enjoy the extra development to the story.
~Maple Jellybean~

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »

That's exactly what I'm aiming for - just something that's like "oh if you want to know more, here's what's in my head..." but it's all optional. Thanks for giving me the def! I'll be more careful with the wording of companion v. sequel in the future, lol I feel like I learned something extremely valuable here today!! lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »

That's exactly what I'm aiming for - just something that's like "oh if you want to know more, here's what's in my head..." but it's all optional. Thanks for giving me the def! I'll be more careful with the wording of companion v. sequel in the future, lol I feel like I learned something extremely valuable here today!! lol

LOL Glad I could help? :P
~Maple Jellybean~

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »

LOL Glad I could help? :P
thanks for the "ed-ja-ma-cation!"  :P

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »

Thought I'd pop in here and mention a few chaps of the SB companion There's Us are up, and a bunch of Fix updates as well. Also Reb & I have been working on and off on an idea for a collab that we're gonna be posting pretty soon that we're hoping to get some reader participation with the reviews on for a story we're gonna call We'll Do Anything (With Clothes On). It's gonna be a really funny story and I'm looking forward to getting to work with Reb again!! YAY! So anyways that's the Pengi update!! :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »

I just finished reading Something Beautiful  :'(  Amazing story, loved it even though it had me in tears a few times.
Pages: [1] 2