Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Harry Potter Discussion Thread!  (Read 4638 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Harry Potter Discussion Thread!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »

I am almost done with the first book. I don't really have much to say lol it's a cute book and a good read. I enjoy JK's writing style. I will read the others in a while. I was at barnes and Noble today and almost picked up the series but decided to wait because there were two other books that were calling my name.

As far as the whole horrible childhood thing, he needed to have that in order for the book to work, I think. If he came from a loving, caring family I don't think it would have had the same effect. That whole scenerio was very James and the Giant Peach-ish to me. LOL

And speaking from personal experience (unfortunately) I can say that child protective services doesn't step in nearly as much as they should on anything. If no one reports it, it goes un-noticed.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »

^ and speaking from other personal experience, sometimes when they do step in, the kid turns out even more effed up.  I still need to start reading it! I found it, but then realized that this other book I've been waiting for for months was finally released, so I read that one first. But I finished it so I'm going to get started here soon. I'm glad to see that you liked it so much Rose! It gives me more hope lol!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:33:26 PM »

And, yeah, Rachel, my husband told met he exact same thing. He told me to try with the first one, but if I couldn't get in to it then just skip to the third or fourth book. He said the later books are much better.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »

As far as the whole horrible childhood thing, he needed to have that in order for the book to work, I think. If he came from a loving, caring family I don't think it would have had the same effect. That whole scenerio was very James and the Giant Peach-ish to me. LOL

And speaking from personal experience (unfortunately) I can say that child protective services doesn't step in nearly as much as they should on anything. If no one reports it, it goes un-noticed.

... Or they step in, and then do nothing!!  Kids get taken away from their alcoholic, abusive mothers for a few weeks, and then they go back!!  Like an alcoholic mom who beats or verbally abuses her children is going to pull a 180 in a month!  Ugh.  But then, taking a child away from his or her family is also traumatic, so who knows... it's hard to know what the right thing to do is in those situations sometimes.  They're usually not black and white.

Anyway, back to the book, I agree with the James and the Giant Peach thing.  JK Rowling's style has always reminded me of Roald Dahl's.  They both have that quirky, funny, at times gross-out style of writing that is entertaining for both kids and adults.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

And, yeah, Rachel, my husband told met he exact same thing. He told me to try with the first one, but if I couldn't get in to it then just skip to the third or fourth book. He said the later books are much better.

I would skip to the third if you find you can't get into the first.  That's where you start to get more of the back story that leads into the deeper stuff.  I dunno, I still feel like you would be missing something if you didn't read the first two books, but I guess if you've seen the movies, you would be fine with knowing the basics.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »

... Or they step in, and then do nothing!!  Kids get taken away from their alcoholic, abusive mothers for a few weeks, and then they go back!!  Like an alcoholic mom who beats or verbally abuses her children is going to pull a 180 in a month!  Ugh.  But then, taking a child away from his or her family is also traumatic, so who knows... it's hard to know what the right thing to do is in those situations sometimes.  They're usually not black and white.

Ugh! Yes!! Even more annoying!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »

I am almost done with the first book. I don't really have much to say lol it's a cute book and a good read. I enjoy JK's writing style. I will read the others in a while. I was at barnes and Noble today and almost picked up the series but decided to wait because there were two other books that were calling my name.

Thats too true.  I saw it happen (well, not happen I guess I should say) with my cousins. 

But- and sort of spoiler alert, although I'm not going into detail-  Harry couldn't have been taken away from the Dursley's house.  As horrible a home as it was, there is a reason he's there.

End mini-spoiler. LoL Anyways, I hadn't thought about what you guys were saying about horrible childhood = well-adjusted kid.  That's an interesting point.  Although even in the first book, he's not known for following the rules at school.  He is always working for the good, but he isn't perfect.

Also, I think the fact that he is still "pure of heart" is one of the points:  he's Harry Potter.  He's the only one who's survived the killing curse.  Especially when it was Voldemort trying to kill him, that's impressive.  I think this aspect of his character is part of what makes him the hero of the story and sets him apart from others.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »

True on all points. :)
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:26 AM »

I love how magical the first book is.  How a child who feels alone in the world and totally neglected like that, finds somewhere where he fits in.  It's the perfect fairytale really.

I agree with what's already been said too, because Harry comes from a nice house, nice area, goes to school and is fed, he doesn't look neglected and therefore the social services wouldn't pick it up unless it was reported to them.

I actually went to the castle which they use for Hogwarts (Alnwick Castle) and it was great. 

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »

I read the first chapter while on the elliptical last night! Woot! lol.  I will read more today, but for now all I have to say is that I kind of like having seen the movie first for this book, because the movie seemed to be cast so well, that it's so easy to picture everyone. It did keep my attention better than I thought it would too. I'm looking forward to reading a little more later today.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »

All I have to say (at the moment, I'll add more later LOL) is that....

I really wish the UPS dude would get my Deathly Hallows book here already. I just finished Half Blood Prince, and am dying for the final book.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »

I read the first chapter while on the elliptical last night! Woot! lol.  I will read more today, but for now all I have to say is that I kind of like having seen the movie first for this book, because the movie seemed to be cast so well, that it's so easy to picture everyone. It did keep my attention better than I thought it would too. I'm looking forward to reading a little more later today.

Very true; I find that when I read the first book in particular now, I picture the movie and hear the actors saying the lines as I read.  Because the first two books are so much shorter than the others, the first two movies are able to follow them pretty closely.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »

All I have to say (at the moment, I'll add more later LOL) is that....

I really wish the UPS dude would get my Deathly Hallows book here already. I just finished Half Blood Prince, and am dying for the final book.

I bet!!  Without saying too much, what'd you think of the end of HBP?!  Were you shocked?  Did you cry?  Or had it been spoiled for you already?

That's the one I spent two days holed up in my flat in Scotland reading, and I just remember being like, "What!!  That did not just happen!!!"  Such a great twist!
~Julie

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »

I bet!!  Without saying too much, what'd you think of the end of HBP?!  Were you shocked?  Did you cry?  Or had it been spoiled for you already?

That's the one I spent two days holed up in my flat in Scotland reading, and I just remember being like, "What!!  That did not just happen!!!"  Such a great twist!

I know your not asking me, lol. But.. oh my goodness, did I cry.  And I'm not one of those people who usually does when it comes to books/movies.  Wow.  Wonderful book.  And I'm like you-- someone spoiled book 5 for me (I can't tell you how upset I was), so with book 6 and especially 7, I wouldn't talk on the phone or get on the internet or leave my house until I'd finished the book! 

Oh and for those of you who have finished book one:  did any of you figure out the "who-dun-it"?  I don't think we've talked as much about that aspect of it.  The book is a wonderful kid mystery.  Especially later on in the series, there are so many clues to try to pick up on.  I guess that goes along with the intricate plotline we've already talked about.  Anyway, I was surprised by the ending.  Since it was a children's book, I wasn't expecting twists in the story at that point. 

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »

I answered Julie in an IM but I'll answer here.

I didn't cry but I was beyond shocked. I read and reread a couple times to make sure I got it right.

And my book arrived, you'll get my full reaction on the series once I've read DH lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4