Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Harry Potter Discussion Thread!  (Read 4639 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Harry Potter Discussion Thread!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »

Oh and for those of you who have finished book one:  did any of you figure out the "who-dun-it"?  I don't think we've talked as much about that aspect of it.  The book is a wonderful kid mystery.  Especially later on in the series, there are so many clues to try to pick up on.  I guess that goes along with the intricate plotline we've already talked about.  Anyway, I was surprised by the ending.  Since it was a children's book, I wasn't expecting twists in the story at that point. 

Yeah, I don't think I figured out the mystery in Book 1 either.  I'm not particularly good at who-dun-its anyway, but JKR always managed to keep me guessing throughout the series.  Even when I thought I had it figured out, I was never totally right... and usually I was just plain wrong LOL.  But that's what made it more fun, cause I could be shocked by all the twists!

I never had anything spoiled for me, thankfully.  I remember when the sixth book came out, I heard later about people who got the book at midnight, flipped to the end, and then rode around shouting out their car windows, "____________ kills ___________!!!" to everyone who was lined up at the bookstores for the midnight release parties.  I saw a video of one after the fact.  Isn't that horrible?!  People completely flipped out, they were so pissed off, which I can totally understand!  I avoided the internet and everything too until after I had finished.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »

I think I cried a little at HBP, but the one that made me bawl like a baby was Deathly Hallows... in several parts!!  Goblet of Fire tends to make me cry a little too towards the end.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 05:21:24 AM »

I'd better get reading then!  I've actually got all the books in my house but just haven't got around to reading them yet (apart from Philosopher's Stone).

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »

I think I cried a little at HBP, but the one that made me bawl like a baby was Deathly Hallows... in several parts!!  Goblet of Fire tends to make me cry a little too towards the end.

I totally bawled at that one... totally  :-[

And then I was just more angry at the Half Blood Prince ending...

And then parts of Deathly Hollows... le sniff.

For me though, I remember JKR saying two of the main characters die and everyone freaking out trying to figure who they'd be...
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »

LOL yep, I remember all that debate... for the last three books, really.  But jeez, in DH... which two would you call the main characters?  Sooo many...
~Julie

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »

LOL yep, I remember all that debate... for the last three books, really.  But jeez, in DH... which two would you call the main characters?  Sooo many...

Exactly!  I was like... um... two?  Try like twenty!

And then I thought well maybe she qualified a main character as one who appeared in every single book... but even then there were more than two!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I figured out the mystery in Book 1 either.  I'm not particularly good at who-dun-its anyway, but JKR always managed to keep me guessing throughout the series.  Even when I thought I had it figured out, I was never totally right... and usually I was just plain wrong LOL.  But that's what made it more fun, cause I could be shocked by all the twists!

I never had anything spoiled for me, thankfully.  I remember when the sixth book came out, I heard later about people who got the book at midnight, flipped to the end, and then rode around shouting out their car windows, "____________ kills ___________!!!" to everyone who was lined up at the bookstores for the midnight release parties.  I saw a video of one after the fact.  Isn't that horrible?!  People completely flipped out, they were so pissed off, which I can totally understand!  I avoided the internet and everything too until after I had finished.

There was a tshirt someone made that said "______ dies." And goes on to say "i just saved you X pages and X hours of your time." I saw it somewhere on the internet... after I read the book thankfully! 

If I ever saw someone wearing that, I'd probably hit them.   ::)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »

So who all is reading this for the first time?  I know Rose did, and Kelly is... anyone else?  Are you enjoying it?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »

And once again, we should probably start thinking about next month. Anyone want to take it?

I just finished reading it for the second time. I had gotten all the way to the last chapter but then stopped when I started another book. It was good, very close to the movie, nothing really all that different in my opinion anyway. I think the only bad thing with seeing the movies before reading the books is that I just see all those people and hear them instead of creating an image of what I think those characters should be like on my own.

Overall, I enjoyed it and will be reading the rest this summer.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:37 AM »

I want July, if that's open.  I'm in school till June 10 and then taking a class the week after, so I'm not gonna be around much for the first half of the month.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »

There was a tshirt someone made that said "______ dies." And goes on to say "i just saved you X pages and X hours of your time." I saw it somewhere on the internet... after I read the book thankfully! 

If I ever saw someone wearing that, I'd probably hit them.   ::)

I own that shirt...lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »

So I'm like two thirds of the way done. I'll admit it's been a little slow for me but I am liking it more than I thought I would. It's only slow because it's EXACTLY like the movie and I've seen the movie enough times that there's nothing really that exciting for me. I'd bet that if I can make it to some of the later books there would be more appeal for me because I'm sure there are things in the books that they couldn't cover in the movies.

It is fun though. I've been reading a little each night while I get on the elliptical. I do like it, it just hasn't been a page turner is all. But I think if' I'd never seen the movie before I could have read it a lot faster.

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »

I want July, if that's open.  I'm in school till June 10 and then taking a class the week after, so I'm not gonna be around much for the first half of the month.

You can have July :)

So, any takers for June?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »

I was just telling my sister that yesterday. I said this was one of the few books I have ever read that was almost identical to the movie. I'm sure the later ones probably aren't as true to form, but I was kind of surprised at how it really didn't stray too far from the novel.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

yeah, it was like... EXACTLY the same.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4