Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Part one of the 2014 summer reading challenge! The participants!  (Read 29024 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Part one of the 2014 summer reading challenge! The participants!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »

Yay!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »

Pen name: Carter

Story #1

Story you are submitting (including a link):My Answer Is You  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6918

Give us a quick summary: Kaylee writes a letter to Nick not expecting anything back...but when she does both of their lives are turned upside down

Who is the main character? Nick

What genre is it? Romance mostly

How many chapters? 32

Is it complete? Yes

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) kinda short

What do you like best about your story? that I took most of this story from a real life experience and put a little backstreet flare into it :)

Would you consider it popular? eh kinda I guess I wrote it 7 almost 8yrs ago

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? cause I loved writing it I came up with the concept late one night and I just ran with it I think it turned out pretty well :)

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) nothing I can really think of.

Story #2

All Of Your Life http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11026

Give us a quick summary: Nick meets a girl in his guild on World Of Warcraft...he meets a woman who has two kids...his mother doesnt approve.

Who is the main character? Nick

What genre is it? Romance

How many chapters? 28

Is it complete? yes

Are your chapters long or short? kinda short

What do you like best about your story? That this was something I experienced in real life and I hold it dear to my heart every day.

Would you consider it popular? eh kinda I guess didnt get many reviews though,.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? Cause I loved my concept to it mostly...the geek in me ;)

Anything else we should know about it?  that it does have a sequel I am currently writing on ;)

Story #3

Gone Country http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6618

Give us a quick summary: Jordan is a writer from NYC and sets out to embark on a new life but ends up in Kentucky and  meets Brian.

Who is the main character? Brian

What genre is it? Romance, Alternate Universe

How many chapters? 16

Is it complete? yes

Are your chapters long or short? short

What do you like best about your story? That it was different it has lyrics to some of my favorite country  songs at the time wrapped up into each chapter..and it was my first ever alternate universe that I wrote.

Would you consider it popular? eh kinda I guess didnt get many reviews though,.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read?  I just love the songs and the lyrics I used behind it...to me it was different at the time exploring new options :)

Anything else we should know about it?  not that I can think of.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 05:21:13 AM »

Nine people! We need that tenth person!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »

Pen name: Kyrie

Story #1 - First Impressions

Story you are submitting (including a link): http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11095&warning=4

Give us a quick summary: Katherine "Kat" Brady had been a fan of the Backstreet Boys since the day she heard their first song. She finally has a chance to meet them but it doesn't go as well as anyone had planned.

Who is the main character? Kat Brady

What genre is it? Drama, Romance

How many chapters? 54

Is it complete? Yes

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) Short

What do you like best about your story? I truly like the main character and I think that she and AJ have an interesting relationship

Would you consider it popular? Not sure but people seemed to like it :-)

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? I wrote a series of three stories but I felt like I hit my stride with this one

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) Nope, it's pretty tame

*Story #2 - Jessie's Girl

Story you are submitting (including a link): http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11172

Give us a quick summary: They have a saying that everything that was meant to be will be. This works in fairy tales but can real life be the same?

Who is the main character? Emma Andrews

What genre is it? Drama, humor, romance

How many chapters? 60

Is it complete? Yes

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) Short

What do you like best about your story? I based some of the situations from this story on real life and it made it interesting to write.

Would you consider it popular? Not sure, it got 212 reviews but I'm not sure if that's a lot or not

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? It's my only Nick story and I would love the feedback

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) Nope
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:28:09 PM by mare »
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

And now we have ten but let's shoot for 12!! Yes, I'm greedy but we can do it!!

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »

Hello everyone,

Mare mentioned this challenge to me in a review, so I've decided to give it a shot. I'm only putting up one of my stories for now as the one that I'm currently working on isn't finished.

Pen name: KeepThisSecret

Story you are submitting (including a link): A Dash of Cinnamon http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11202&warning=4

Give us a quick summary: In the fall of 2013, Brian and Nick find themselves in a similar position. For the first time in years, they are both desperately trying to redefine themselves as single men. The situation intensifies for Brian when he finds himself embroiled in a bitter custody battle involving Child Protective Services. During an on-the-road visit, the unsettling background of one C.P.S. worker results in a disappointing revelation for Nick and ultimately forces Brian to make a potentially life-changing decision.

Who is the main character? Brian and Nick are the main characters, but the rest of the guys are in it quite a bit as well. There is also a female lead (obviously ... it's a romance).

What genre is it? Romance

How many chapters? 40

Is it complete? Yes

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) The majority of them are on the longer side.

What do you like best about your story? I think that I did a pretty good job with the description and the characterizati on. I especially liked Baylee's character, because I changed him up a little bit.

Would you consider it popular? I'm too new to the site to be able to really determine what makes a story "popular". It did get some pretty good reviews, though.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? I think that a lot of people probably skipped over this story because it's a romance. Although the plot may be a bit tired, I think that the writing is fairly good and that people may like the story if they give it a chance. Also, I'm a new writer and I'm looking to attract some readers.  :)

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) There are a few sex scenes, but nothing too intense.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »

Woot! So glad to see you have decided to do this.

Well, now we are at an odd number so we need number 12!! Pass the word along! :)

freedomwriter

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »

Okay, I'll give :)

Just have to post the short stories to AC, that are lurking on my computer somewhere, and then I'll definitely participate ^^

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »

Pen name: Carter-Orange

Story you are submitting (including a link): Save A Prayer http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10625&warning=4
Give us a quick summary: The boys sign up for a reality TV show but get more than they bargained for!
Who is the main character? Nick, but they all feature, it's set before Kevin came back though, so he's not in it.
What genre is it? Action/Adventure
How many chapters? 23
Is it complete? Yes
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) Short, approximately 1000 words per chapter I think.
What do you like best about your story? I like the way I let my imagination run wild, also I like that Nick is the hero for a change.
Would you consider it popular? Sort of, if only for a certain chapter lol
Why are you choosing this one for people to read? Because I enjoyed writing this so much and haven't gone back to re-read it since completing it.
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) There's some gore!

Story you are submitting (including a link): Unwinding Truth (collab with Lore) http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10831
Give us a quick summary: Post-apocalyptic story set many years after a nuclear war.  For generations people lived underground, not knowing what was above, until events happened which changed the world they knew.
Who is the main character? They all feature
What genre is it? Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi/AU
How many chapters? 22 so far
Is it complete? No
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) Approximately 1000 - 1500 words per chapter I think.
What do you like best about your story? I love that Lore and I worked so well together and I hope we can continue it some day.
Would you consider it popular? Not really
Why are you choosing this one for people to read? Because I enjoyed writing it so much and think other people might like it too.
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc) Nothing I can recall.

I might add another one, but not sure which one yet.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »

Okay, I'll give :)

Just have to post the short stories to AC, that are lurking on my computer somewhere, and then I'll definitely participate ^^

Yay!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »

Yes! We have 12 now! Feel free to join us! 14 is even better! You know we have a lot when I start running out of colors! lol

freedomwriter

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 06:37:25 AM »

Okay, forget about the short stories, I can't seem to find them back :(

Pen name: freedomwriter

Story you are submitting (including a link): Dangers Of Fluttering http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11230
Give us a quick summary:
things aren't what they seem, not at all when time travel is involved
Who is the main character?
Nick, Kevin, Brian
What genre is it?
science-fiction, drama, adventure
How many chapters?
22 so far
Is it complete?
nope
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)
short (mean around 1500 words per chapter)
What do you like best about your story?
oooh the suspense...
Would you consider it popular?
nope, not really
Why are you choosing this one for people to read?
it's definitely something else than the overall romance stories you normally see
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)
It's not all that violent, although there may be a few graphic scenes

Story you are submitting (including a link): The Road That Leads To Who Knows Where http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11143
Give us a quick summary: A shooting at a concert leaves one member fighting for his life. What happened, and most of all, why did it happen?
Who is the main character? Group, Brian
What genre is it? Suspense, Angst, Drama
How many chapters? 33
Is it complete?
nooooo
shortish (some are longer than others)
ooooh the suspense again
a little, maybe, I dunno
It's kind of forgotten and desperately needs a boost, so suggestions as to where this story might go are more than welcome
An itsy bitsy violent

Story you are submitting (including a link): Peter's Poisoned Promise http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11038
Give us a quick summary:
What happens when suicide is not really suicide, but a murderer gotten loose. Howie is about to find out.
Who is the main character? Howie (omg I never write about Howie) Brian and the rest of the gang
What genre is it? Suspense (I really like that genre) Angst and Drama
How many chapters? 13
Is it complete? Nope, sadly. It should have been though
Long (2100 meanly)
This one has been on hold for forever, but like always, I haven't really given up on the concept. I still really like it, and had this whole intense storyline in mind, but yeah, I dunno. Help is really appreciated :)
no, just cause it hasnt been updated in soo long now.
I don't know if this concept has been done before, but anyway, It's something different from the rest of the stories you see.
It can be violent at times

Story you are submitting (including a link): The New Guy http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11064
Give us a quick summary: In Sickness And In Health, Woman, In Sickness And In Health
Who is the main character? Nick, Brian.
What genre is it? Drama and Angst
How many chapters? alot... 59
Is it complete?
no, almost though (why you no finish your stories, miss?)
kinda short overall
The past and present comparison
sort of...
It's kind of intense, and almost finished, I promise :)
nope

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:29:32 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »

There's still time to sign up for this year's reading challenge! You have until Wednesday! So tell your friends!! :)

BSBShania

• Innocent Bystander
  • Just Dancing
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »

Story you are submitting
The problem with Jerky
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11176
Give us a quick summary:AJ is hungry and wants to go get a snack. Will he find the perfect beef jerky at a low price?
Who is the main character?AJ
What genre is it?Humor
How many chapters?1
Is it complete?yes
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)Short
What do you like best about your story? Aj's rant about the package of beef jerky
 Would you consider it popular? not really
Why are you choosing this one for people to read? It'll make people laugh
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)it may make you hungry
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:38:32 PM by mare »
Shania

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »

Story you are submittinghttp://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11176 The problem with Jerky
 Give us a quick summary:AJ is hungry and wants to go get a snack. Will he find the perfect beef jerky at a low price?
Who is the main character?AJ
What genre is it?Humor
How many chapters?1
Is it complete?yes
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)Short
What do you like best about your story? Aj's rant about the package of beef jerky
 Would you consider it popular? not really
Why are you choosing this one for people to read? It'll make people laugh
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)it may make you hungry

Hey Shania, Nice to see you wanting to participate! :)

Here are the rules from the first page of this thread, just in case you missed them!

*Do not submit a story that is less than 10 chapters long or something you just started posting. We do not want to have to wait for updates during the summer. People should be able to read at their own leisure. It doesn't have to be complete, but complete enough...

You may submit one shots but if you do, you need to submit at least 5 -10 of them together as a compilation  otherwise there's not much for the participant reading it to do.

Just wanted to make sure you saw that. You have until the 14th to post the rest of your submissions unless you just want to do the challenge as a reader?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4