Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131344 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2021, 08:27:00 PM »

I saw my name up there somewhere and you asked me to weigh in on something that I tried but was hard? I have no clue what that was in reference to lol but I do enjoy when Dee calls me wise. So what where you talking about? It looks like a collaboration? Was it a choose your own adventure?

I did attempt one of those. I only posted it on my site because it would’ve been too complicated to post it on AC. Sadly when my site went down, so did the story. It wasn’t very long but it was pretty complicated to do. It would probably work much better as a collab.

I do believe I did alternate endings on whatever the night may bring as well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:29:17 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2021, 10:15:46 PM »

I did attempt one of those. I only posted it on my site because it would’ve been too complicated to post it on AC. Sadly when my site went down, so did the story. It wasn’t very long but it was pretty complicated to do. It would probably work much better as a collab.

I do believe I did alternate endings on whatever the night may bring as well.

I wondered that too. Does a CYOA have an update chapter for each path? Are they just scenes in one chapter? Are the chapters long? Short? I guess it's personal preference, probably.

Oh fun! How was it to write multiple alternate endings?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2021, 06:44:56 AM »

I wondered that too. Does a CYOA have an update chapter for each path? Are they just scenes in one chapter? Are the chapters long? Short? I guess it's personal preference, probably.

Oh fun! How was it to write multiple alternate endings?

Oh my God! I had written a whole answer to this question and then lost it! So frustrating lol

The plot was very simple and kind of a short story. About five chapters long. But with each chapter having two choices I think I ended up writing almost twenty five chapters. It was a big undertaking and I doubt I’d ever do anything like it again. The chapters were short, probably about 1,500 or so. I wish I had figured out a way to save it.

The alternate endings were fun. I only wrote three of them and I did manage to post those onto AC using pick a,b or c.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2021, 06:24:20 PM »

Oh my God! I had written a whole answer to this question and then lost it! So frustrating lol

I hate when this happens. And then whatever I type afterward is just so half-assed because I can't be bothered.

The plot was very simple and kind of a short story. About five chapters long. But with each chapter having two choices I think I ended up writing almost twenty five chapters. It was a big undertaking and I doubt I’d ever do anything like it again. The chapters were short, probably about 1,500 or so. I wish I had figured out a way to save it.

The alternate endings were fun. I only wrote three of them and I did manage to post those onto AC using pick a,b or c.

That's crazy that a five chapter story ended up being 25 chapters because of the choices. Do you remember the basic plot you picked, out of curiosity?

That's fun! You really have done everything. I always wanted to write alternate endings for a story that made sense, but then tell people there was one other  one and have them all freak out trying to find it.  :biggrin:

Any other wisdom you'd like to impart on us? Just in case I missed out on any! lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »

I hate when this happens. And then whatever I type afterward is just so half-assed because I can't be bothered.

That's crazy that a five chapter story ended up being 25 chapters because of the choices. Do you remember the basic plot you picked, out of curiosity?

That's fun! You really have done everything. I always wanted to write alternate endings for a story that made sense, but then tell people there was one other  one and have them all freak out trying to find it.  :biggrin:

Any other wisdom you'd like to impart on us? Just in case I missed out on any! lol

It was AJ centered story. He was going to go to the store and one choice was going with Howie and the other was Nick and depending on which one he chose, different things happened. After thinking about it yesterday, I’m beginning to remember that maybe I never actually finished it. I can’t seem to remember actually posting it. I’m not positive though. I know I wrote at least 25 chapters but I think maybe at that point I felt like I had bitten off more than I could chew? I do remember that the end result was going to be how AJ meets Rochelle.

I can’t think of any words of wisdom I have except that maybe always save everything you write and always have a plan B  lol
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:50:52 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »

It was AJ centered story. He was going to go to the store and one choice was going with Howie and the other was Nick and depending on which one he chose, different things happened. After thinking about it yesterday, I’m beginning to remember that maybe I never actually finished it. I can’t seem to remember actually posting it. I’m not positive though. I know I wrote at least 25 chapters but I think maybe at that point I felt like I had bitten off more than I could chew? I do remember that the end result was going to be how AJ meets Rochelle.

I can’t think of any words of wisdom I have except that maybe always save everything you write and always have a plan B  lol

I'm not sure you ever posted it either.  I went looking on your old site through the Wayback Machine on archive.org and couldn't find it posted.  https://web.archive.org/web/20110207224137/http://mares-braincandy.com/

I can't remember if you shared some of it through email or your Yahoo group, or if you just talked about the fact that you were writing it.  I remember you writing it, but I can't remember anything about the actual plot, so maybe I never read it.

But yes... words of wisdom:  save everything!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »

So much can happen if you go to the store with Howie or Nick, lol.

Got it. Update days, chapter hoarding, save everything, plan B.

I don't have a plan B. Can I get the non-pharmaceutical kind at the store with Howie or Nick? lol

I'm not sure you ever posted it either.  I went looking on your old site through the Wayback Machine on archive.org and couldn't find it posted.  https://web.archive.org/web/20110207224137/http://mares-braincandy.com/

Oh man, the wayback machine! That's something I haven't thought of in a long time.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2021, 09:28:20 PM »

New questions? Feel free to skip ones you feel like we've already answered; I italicized some of them.

1. Is there a story you're holding off on writing for some reason?

2. What work of yours, if any, are you the most embarrassed about existing?

3. What order do you write in? Front of book to back? Chronological? Favorite scenes first? Something else?

4. Favorite character you've written?

5. Character you were most surprised to end up writing?

6. Something you would go back and change in your writing that it's too late/complicated to change now?

7. When asked, are you embarrassed or enthusiastic to tell people that you write?

8. Favorite genre to write?

9. What, if anything, do you do for inspiration?

10. Write in silence or with background noise? With people or alone?

11. What aspect of your writing do you think has most improved since you started writing?

12. Your weakness as an author.

13. Your strengths as an author.

14. Do you make playlists for your stories while working on them?

15. Why did you start writing?

16. Are there any characters who haunt you?

17. If you could give your fledgling author self any advice, what would it be?

18. Were there any works you read that affected you so much that it influenced your writing style? What were they?

19. When it come to more complicated narratives, how do you keep track of outlines, characters, development, timeline, etcetera?

20. Do you write in long sit-down sessions or in little spurts?

21. What do you think when you read over your older work?

22. Are there any subjects that make you uncomfortable to write?

23. Any obscure life experiences that you feel have helped your writing?

24. Have you ever become an expert on something you previously knew nothing about in order to better a scene or a story?

25. Copy/paste a few sentences or a short paragraph that you're particularly proud of.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2021, 01:02:26 AM »

I can't remember if you shared some of it through email or your Yahoo group, or if you just talked about the fact that you were writing it.  I remember you writing it, but I can't remember anything about the actual plot, so maybe I never read it.

But yes... words of wisdom:  save everything!

Oh my God! Thank you for that link! I didn’t even know I could access my old site again. I think that I was probably sharing the chapters with Mersey, Maria and probably Kris but ended up never finishing it and because it was a cyoa, never posting what I had. In the end I think I took some of my ideas and chapters and turned it into another story and I’m pretty sure it was the cough medicine one. I can’t see myself just leaving it totally be and that one seems to match up the best with where it was going, minus Howie lol sorry Howie.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2021, 09:20:03 PM »

Oh my God! Thank you for that link! I didn’t even know I could access my old site again. I think that I was probably sharing the chapters with Mersey, Maria and probably Kris but ended up never finishing it and because it was a cyoa, never posting what I had. In the end I think I took some of my ideas and chapters and turned it into another story and I’m pretty sure it was the cough medicine one. I can’t see myself just leaving it totally be and that one seems to match up the best with where it was going, minus Howie lol sorry Howie.

You're welcome!  Here's another link to an older(?) version I also had linked.  https://web.archive.org/web/20050204191925/http://brain_candy.pitas.com/  It's so fun to see these old sites with the guestbooks and mailing lists and shoutboxes and frames.  Such a throwback!

Angelfire is still online, so everything posted there still works without the Wayback Machine.  It's the domain (mares-braincandy.com) and the pitas.com stuff that doesn't work.  I don't know if you can still access your old Angelfire account, but if you created a new index page and linked to all the other pages - My Stories, Favorite Stories, About Me, etc. - you would have a fully functional website again.  If you want help tracking down links to preserve everything, I'd be happy to help.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:25:50 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2021, 11:57:47 PM »

1. Is there a story you're holding off on writing for some reason?

I actually thought I would hold off on the one I'm currently writing, My Brother's Keeper, because of what it has in common with my last two stories. I thought I would need a break from the medical drama aspect of it, but maybe I've just been building up to it.

I guess the one I'm holding off on now is the Brian horror story I thought I was going to write next.  Although it would seem "easier" to write than MBK because it requires less research, I'm anticipating it being harder because it's something different from what I'm used to writing.  Let's just say psychological stuff seems more intimidating than physical stuff.

2. What work of yours, if any, are you the most embarrassed about existing?

That would be a "novel" I wrote in 2000 called Silent Desperation.  It's about Brian getting addicted to painkillers after being injured in a car accident.  Decent idea... terrible execution.  I didn't come up with the premise myself; it was given to me by a friend, and at fifteen, I was still too young and naive to do it justice.  This was when I didn't have internet in my bedroom, so I did a scant amount of research using the only source I had easy access to - Encarta '95 on CD-Rom LOL.  It definitely shows that I had no idea what I was talking about.  After all, Lurlene McDaniel didn't have a book about drug addiction LOL.

5. Character you were most surprised to end up writing?

I'm pleasantly surprised to finally be writing a Kevin novel.  I guess after 21 years, it was about freaking time.  Sorry, Kevin LOL.

As far as original characters go, my first thought was Jori from Secrets of the Heart.  I based her on my sister, which is not something I thought I would do.  I don't even remember why I did, but it worked for that story.  My sister would hate her portrayal, but I love it.  She made for an interesting character.

6. Something you would go back and change in your writing that it's too late/complicated to change now?

I would go back and fix the grammatical mistakes I used to make - stuff like writing "His heart sunk" instead of "His heart sank."   Another one I learned just a few years ago is that "blonde" is the female version of the word and "blond" is the male version, so technically Nick has blond hair, not blonde.  I probably still mess that one up from time to time because I am so used to using "blonde" indiscriminate ly.  If I'm editing a story anyway and come across mistakes like that, I'll fix them, but I haven't gone as far as reposting chapters of old stories just to correct that stuff.  It wouldn't really be complicated, just time-consuming.  I haven't gotten that bored yet LOL.

7. When asked, are you embarrassed or enthusiastic to tell people that you write?

Embarrassed.  I never even mention writing when I'm asked about my hobbies, even though it's been my favorite hobby for two decades and is the only real hobby I have these days outside of watching TV, which I don't think really counts LOL.  I just don't want to have to any follow-up questions about what I write or if someone else can read it.  No!

Part of that has to do with it being BSB fanfic, part of it is the subject matter I write about it, and part of it is just me.  I have always been shy about sharing my writing, even before I started writing fanfic.  I wrote a story for the Young Author's competition every year in elementary school, and I won for my class every year from 4th grade to 8th, but I was always embarrassed about letting anyone but my teacher read my story.

9. What, if anything, do you do for inspiration?

Lately, I've been listening to a podcast and watching YouTube videos.  I have a mental list of other stuff to watch for inspiration when the time is right, such as the Unbreakable concert video from London, but I haven't gotten that far in the story yet.

14. Do you make playlists for your stories while working on them?

Sometimes.  I don't do this as often as I did in the mid-2000s with Broken and BMS, 00Carter, and Undead.  The last story-specific one I made was for A Heart That Isn't Mine.  Otherwise, I just have playlists of instrumental writing music that I add on to as I discover new pieces.  Sometimes certain pieces or scores will remind me of certain stories because of how often I listened to it when writing that story.  The Braveheart soundtrack reminds me of Broken, especially the track called "The Princess Pleads for Wallace's Life," which I listened to on repeat when I was writing the choppage chapter.  There's a song called "Primavera," that is still a staple of my writing playlist because it's so sad and beautiful, but I'll always associate it with Sick as My Secrets.  My favorite piece for My Brother's Keeper is "Arrival of the Birds," although I've also been loving these long piano medleys of Linkin Park songs.

15. Why did you start writing?

I read a Brian story that was about his illness when he was five, told from the perspective of his best friend at the time, the little girl who lived next door.  It started out the same as the version Brian tells, but Brian ended up dying... only it turned out the whole thing was just a dream that the girl was having as a grown woman.  She woke up at the end and found herself in bed next to Brian, her husband.  It was a cute little story, but I went into it expecting a novel and was disappointed to discover it was only a short story.  I wanted to read more, so I decided to try my hand at writing a story of my own about Brian and his childhood best friend growing up and falling in love.  I never finished the first version of it, but that's how I started writing fanfic.  I eventually went back to that idea and rewrote it as "Years of Grace."

19. When it come to more complicated narratives, how do you keep track of outlines, characters, development, timeline, etcetera?

I have one big outline for each novel that includes all that kind of information.  The outline for my current story is 13 pages long so far and has a section on settings, a section on characters, a timeline, a chapter by chapter outline that I'm adding to as I go, a bulleted list of future plot points and ideas, and a section for research notes.  It's one of my more elaborate outlines because it's a medical drama set in BSB history, so there's a lot to keep track of.

20. Do you write in long sit-down sessions or in little spurts?

I can sit in front of my computer and "write" for hours, but in reality, I'm not actually writing that whole time.  Usually I'll write a few words or maybe a few sentences, then open a new tab to look something up or check Twitter or this forum.  Then I'll go back to the story and write a little more.  So I'm not sure if that counts as long sit-down sessions or little spurts LOL.  I guess it's a combination of both.

21. What do you think when you read over your older work?

I am generally proud of everything I've written post-Broken.  The really old, pre-Broken stuff is pretty bad, but when I think about how young I was then, I'm still proud of myself for putting forth the effort to write it.  Everyone starts somewhere, and I had to write those stories to become a better fiction writer.  I can't say I really go back and read those stories, but on the rare occasion I've skimmed through one for whatever reason, it puts a smile on my face - partly because of how bad it was, but also because of the nostalgia.  I love the references to early-2000s pop culture and outdated technology.  All those old fanfics - not just mine - are such a throwback to one of my favorite times in my life.

22. Are there any subjects that make you uncomfortable to write?

Darker sexual stuff, like rape and fetishes.

23. Any obscure life experiences that you feel have helped your writing?

I studied abroad at the University of Stirling in Scotland for a summer when I was in college.  Stirling is where William Wallace and the Scottish army defeated the English - the "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!" scene in Braveheart.  One day we went to see the Wallace Monument there, which is this beautiful tower on top of a big hill.  You have to walk up the hill to get to it.  There is a paved path, but for some reason, one of my friends suggested we take the "scenic route" by hiking up what looked like a trail that snaked through the trees on the hill.  I was not a fan of this idea, but I followed the others off the path.  As we picked our way up the hill, the "trail" disappeared, and the terrain got steeper and harder to climb.  None of us were prepared for that intense of a hike.  As I was climbing one particularly steep section, my foot slipped out from under me in the mud, and I fell and landed hard on my right side.  I'm pretty sure I broke or at least bruised a rib because it was sore for weeks, to the point that I couldn't sleep on that side.  But we eventually made it to the top of the hill and saw the monument, and I got a good story of it, so it all worked out.  Anyway, that is the obscure life experience I draw on when writing about broken ribs or hiking injuries, such as in Road to Bethlehem.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2021, 01:22:08 PM »

Happy Saturday!  How's everyone's day going?

I finished Chapter 8 of my story this morning, so I'm feeling good.  Chapter 9 is already written, so I'm on track to at least have Chapter 10 started by spring break, which starts on Friday for me.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2021, 02:04:00 PM »

Happy Saturday! That's great that you finished Chapter Eight and you'll probably finish Chapter 10 over Spring Break! You're on a roll!

I'm counting down the days to Spring Break. We're in the weird part where the main school district is on break all of next week and we're not yet, so we're just going to do some fun things Monday and Tuesday, then Wednesday is an Inservice Day. Then our very short break. Several of the students said that they would be gone on extended trips and I'm hoping it's true; I really need a break, lol

Writing-wise, I'm joining this little Kevin party in a more truncated form with a Kevin-focused chapter. I realized it was what was missing in this portion of the novel. It's going slower than some of the others (much like that Kevin part that held me up back in January/February), which tells me that I may need to go soul searching with Kevin. Anyone have any "This is great to reconnect with Kevin" videos or anything like that they've saved during their adventures with Kevin? My current plan was to aimlessly scour youtube or listen to Nobody But You on repeat for hours, lol.

I'll come back to engage in conversations about questions a little later since I'm writing some things down that feel important, but I re-stumbled on this video yesterday that made me nod and laugh: How To Do Research because it reminded me of our research conversations, but also "I'll remember this. I don't need to write it down" is me in a nutshell -- which is insane for the amount of research I do when I write, lol.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2021, 05:04:09 PM »

You're welcome!  Here's another link to an older(?) version I also had linked.  https://web.archive.org/web/20050204191925/http://brain_candy.pitas.com/  It's so fun to see these old sites with the guestbooks and mailing lists and shoutboxes and frames.  Such a throwback!

Angelfire is still online, so everything posted there still works without the Wayback Machine.  It's the domain (mares-braincandy.com) and the pitas.com stuff that doesn't work.  I don't know if you can still access your old Angelfire account, but if you created a new index page and linked to all the other pages - My Stories, Favorite Stories, About Me, etc. - you would have a fully functional website again.  If you want help tracking down links to preserve everything, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks so much! I might take you up on that offer at some point. For now it’s just nice to know it’s there. I’m going to have fun exploring it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »

Dee, I feel you! I remember how frustrating it was to see the district off while we still had school followed by a smaller break than everyone else. I never understood why Catholic schools never took off the entire Holy Week!! I mean it’s their time to shine for goodness sake!!

Today’s been okay. Yesterday, I finally got an appointment for a vaccine at the end of the month. That took forever. I’ve been feeling okay today for the first time in days. I was able to walk from one end of my apartment to the other without having to stop. My brain and my legs haven’t been working together lately. I know I don’t talk about it very much, but every once in while it’s nice to share.

I plan on finishing up Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which is a fantastic book and was also a fantastic movie.

That’s about all from me. Maybe I’ll try to answer some of those questions later.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50