Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131406 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2021, 11:41:55 PM »

Aww, thanks!  This forum is great for commiserating.  I'm either going to hit a wall soon, or I'm going to roll right through it.  I can't tell yet.  I'm already almost through the first phase of the story, which I had a pretty clear vision for.  I also have a lot planned for the third phase of the story, which I feel is really the heart of the whole story idea.  It's the second phase I'm unsure about.  That's the part I wish I could film as a brief montage set to some upbeat 80s music and move on from.  It's really just the bridge between the first and third phase of the story, but I can't completely rush through it.  I just don't have a lot of specific scenes planned out yet, so I need to get on that.  I did take your suggestion and start a list, but it's a pretty short list so far LOL.  I'm hoping when I get to the point of actually needing scenes, I'll come up with something.  This is me plantsing LOL.

I hope you roll with it.  :biggrin:

lmao, I'm sorry, I had to, lol! On a more serious note, I always feel frustrated when the beginning seems clear and the end seems clear and the middle is just kind of wibbly wobbly. But yay for Team Plantsing! Maybe that's the part where you test out writing things out of order and see what happens. ;)

I almost asked you about labeling all these scenes, but I remembered you talking a while back about naming your files in Google Drive.  The way you explained it here makes more sense and seems like it would help you remember what you wrote and find the right scene when you need it.

You're right, I've fully admitted to being disorganized and mislabeling things for fun, lol. I didn't do it at first when it was whole chunks of nearly upcoming chapters (when they were just called "chapter something or other"), but once it started being a big document, and especially now that it has two books worth of scenes here and there written, I made a point to be a little better about it. With the added bonus that I can turn them into headings and not have to scroll through the whole document to get to a certain one. That little "outline" navigation bar on the side of google docs is the best.

I think you're wise to save the big changes for the OF version instead of constantly editing the fanfic.  Especially since the fanfic is already online.  And yeah, you probably would need to focus more on character development in the OF version, since you're no longer writing about "Nick."  

That seems like it would be one of the biggest differences between writing fanfic and original fic.  I know in the stories where I have created original characters that play an important role, I've put a lot more time into developing them than I did the Boys, because the readers already know the Boys.  It's more about orienting them to when in Backstreet time the story takes place and showing how the Boys change as a result of whatever happens in the plot.

Big changes indeed! I'm about five chapters in, I opted to skip tackling the first chapter of the fanfic for the moment to start with Nick, so we'll call it chapter 2-5 of the fanfic, and I've already written about 9,000 new words, including an entirely new chapter. It's an undertaking! He's still PBox Nick to me, but I've definitely had to fill out a few things that would be settled by "It's Nick!" in the fanfic. I've had a few "oops" moments that have been pointed out to me so far, but not in a "oops, this was blatantly a BSB fanfic way," thank goodness, lol. I'm almost to the point of needing to give Howie a new name and I'm dreading it. Then I'm dreading having to scour the story for accidental "Brain" on top of "Brian," lol. Sorry everybody else, you were the casualty for Nick to keep on keepin' on mostly as is.

The blessing and the curse of the Boys as characters. "This is Nick in 1999," great! Versus "This is Gypsydoodle in 1999," who? lol But the "why you should care about me right away even when I x" definitely needed a little love. Because "why you should care about Nick in a BSB fanfic, well he's Nick" is more implied.

Where are we in Backstreet Time? lol If it happened in the past, is it still subject to Backstreet Time? Are we all in a fanfic where the author has been writing about the Boys making a Christmas album, but they've had writer's block since 1999? lol

I was the same way with having a clear order of favorites in my teenybopper days, although it changed from time to time.  Brian was always my favorite, and AJ was #2 for a long time.  Nick was my least favorite very early on, which I think was based on a combination of wanting to go against the grain of him being everyone else's favorite and finding him annoying in their Millennium era appearances.  But then Nick started to grow on me (helped by fanfic, no doubt), which left Howie and Kevin alternating between the #4 and #5 spot.  I know Nick had risen to my second favorite by 2001 because my custom license plate on my first car began with BNAHK, and I put their initials in order of favorites LOL.  Now I would rank them in two tiers:  Brian and Nick on the top tier, Kevin, Howie, and AJ on the bottom tier.  I don't have a least favorite anymore; I love them all.

I love that your license plate was BNAHK! Aw. Thank goodness AJ provides a vowel so their initials can actually sound like a word. You know what, go against the grain, save more Nick for the rest of us to fight over, lol. I'm kidding. I don't think I wanted to rank Howie and Kevin because I didn't want one of them to feel bad for being the least favorite. That's probably why I said they were tied, lol.

I'm with Nick on that.  Sure, IYWITBGG is bad, but it's far from their worst song.  It's a guilty pleasure song - catchy and fun, even if it the lyrics are cringey.  Boys Will Be Boys is just as bad, and I love both songs.  I would take songs like that any day over She's a Dream.  Tell Me That I'm Dreaming is adorable.

I wonder if Kevin realized how cheesy it was when he got roped into doing that deep voice back then, or if it actually seemed cool and sexy at the time because Boys II Men had done it.  I agree; I'm sure he's glad that trend is over LOL.

And I mean, it was all marketing. "The tiny one is less sexually threatening than the others. Make him sing an entire song about sex by himself." It's a guilty pleasure for sure. Boys Will Be Boys is just as bad, but I think they think that they can get away with not talking about it since it wasn't technically released worldwide and it wasn't mostly Nick singing, lol. Stay classy, Shorty, lol.

I wanted the Boys to carry my books home and help me with my homework so badly, lol. They just sounded so sweet and wholesome.

I would be fine adding that to the list of "questions I would not at all be embarrassed to ask them." I could see Kevin going either way, but with the emphasis that he would rather sing than speak in a song.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:58:42 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2021, 11:55:13 PM »

Yes, I almost mentioned Magic Tree House as an example!  I guess with those books, they just have to think of a historical time period or event or a scientific topic they want to focus on and develop the plot around that.  All those series are so formulaic, I'm sure that helps the authors (or ghostwriters) churn them out quickly.

They've got to be ghostwritten. Or team written? I can't imagine having that many ideas for stories even with an infinite number of historical time periods or events to draw from.

The show is better than the movie, but I may be biased because I didn't see the movie until after I fell in love with the show.  It used to be on Netflix, but I think it's only on Hulu right now.

Alright, after rewatching Friends, I will commit to FNL. You've convinced me. Hulu's fine too, good to know it's somewhere.

There must be one for Kevin/Nick, but I'm not sure what is most commonly used.  Kick?  Nevin?  I think Brian/Kevin would be Kentucky Cousins or KFC (Kentucky's Finest Cousins).  Not sure if there is one for AJ/Kevin, AJ/Howie, AJ/Nick, Howie/Kevin, or Howie/Brian.  I don't see those pairings often, if ever.  Can you imagine a Howie/Brian slash? LMAO.

I was being overzealous with 25, lol. Big Bro & Baby (or Little) Bro is what I've always called it personally, but I can't imagine that's right. Someone tell me! I need to know! lol. Ooh, yeah, KFC. I forgot that, bonus points for being quicker to type.

You know, if there's not one, and since I like to pretend that the universe revolves around AC when it comes to BSB fanfic these days, it's probably our esteemed duty to create one for those, lol.

Howie bingewatches TV while drinking margaritas and Brian types furiously on his phone? They go to church and celebrate holidays? They argue about living in Georgia or Florida? Brian is secretly the kinky one? Their relationship seems like a movie montage to me, lol.

At least Nick can make Howie pancakes for his breakfast so he can continue not cooking, lmfao.

I'm with you!  It's not the slash that annoys me; it's the PWP.  It just so happens that most of the PWP on AO3 seems to be slash, not het.  I'm fine with slash with a plot.  And slash without a plot is fine too for people who prefer that.  It's just not my thing.

At this point, I'm team more BSB fanfics at all, lol.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2021, 12:17:35 AM »

I hope you roll with it.  :biggrin:

lmao, I'm sorry, I had to, lol! On a more serious note, I always feel frustrated when the beginning seems clear and the end seems clear and the middle is just kind of wibbly wobbly. But yay for Team Plantsing! Maybe that's the part where you test out writing things out of order and see what happens. ;)

LMAO Love it!

Nice try with the suggestion, but now that I've started posting it, absolutely not LOL.  Part of me would love to just go ahead and write the scenes I've been picturing in my head that come later, but I'd be afraid of running out of chapters to post two months from now if I don't stay the course and keep writing in order.

You're right, I've fully admitted to being disorganized and mislabeling things for fun, lol. I didn't do it at first when it was whole chunks of nearly upcoming chapters (when they were just called "chapter something or other"), but once it started being a big document, and especially now that it has two books worth of scenes here and there written, I made a point to be a little better about it. With the added bonus that I can turn them into headings and not have to scroll through the whole document to get to a certain one. That little "outline" navigation bar on the side of google docs is the best.

Ahh, I see!  And yes, I love the outline bar too!

I'm almost to the point of needing to give Howie a new name and I'm dreading it. Then I'm dreading having to scour the story for accidental "Brain" on top of "Brian," lol. Sorry everybody else, you were the casualty for Nick to keep on keepin' on mostly as is.

Have you picked out new names for the other boys yet?  I actually had fun with that when planning my ill-fated OF Broken.  I kept Nick's name the same too and changed all the others.

Where are we in Backstreet Time? lol If it happened in the past, is it still subject to Backstreet Time? Are we all in a fanfic where the author has been writing about the Boys making a Christmas album, but they've had writer's block since 1999? lol

LOL That's what I meant by Backstreet time in this case - where are we in BSB history?  Like in my current story, part of my character introduction at the beginning is reminding everyone where Kevin and the boys all were in their lives at the beginning of 2008.

Hey, stranger things have happened.  You came back after 10+ years!  And does anyone else remember Marley, who wrote comedies with really long, quirky titles?  I think her stories were hosted on Izzy's site back in the day, like late 90s/early 00s. She emailed me out of the blue a few weeks ago, asking if I was interested in hosting her old stories or knew of another place she could post them.  I directed her here and to AO3, and I noticed she's been posting them on AO3.  Who will come back next?!

I love that your license plate was BNAHK! Aw. Thank goodness AJ provides a vowel so their initials can actually sound like a word. You know what, go against the grain, save more Nick for the rest of us to fight over, lol. I'm kidding. I don't think I wanted to rank Howie and Kevin because I didn't want one of them to feel bad for being the least favorite. That's probably why I said they were tied, lol.

Me too!  I have that old plate hanging on the wall of my writing room now.

I'm glad we've come to appreciate Howie and Kevin in our old age.  I think Kevin leaving was good for Howie, and Kevin coming back was good for Kevin LOL.  I started to appreciate Howie more after Kevin left, and I appreciated Kevin more after he came back.

And I mean, it was all marketing. "The tiny one is less sexually threatening than the others. Make him sing an entire song about sex by himself." It's a guilty pleasure for sure. Boys Will Be Boys is just as bad, but I think they think that they can get away with not talking about it since it wasn't technically released worldwide and it wasn't mostly Nick singing, lol. Stay classy, Shorty, lol.

I wanted the Boys to carry my books home and help me with my homework so badly, lol. They just sounded so sweet and wholesome.

I would be fine adding that to the list of "questions I would not at all be embarrassed to ask them." I could see Kevin going either way, but with the emphasis that he would rather sing than speak in a song.

LOL Such an odd choice.  I still remember the friend who got me into BSB warning me not to play Track #12 of their first (US) album in front of my parents.  Her parents were stricter than mine, so they probably would have found IYWITBGG scandalous, but mine didn't care.  The first album I was allowed to buy with my own money was TLC's Crazy Sexy Cool when I was like 9, so listening to BSB sing about sex when I was 12 was not a big deal.

Yes, that would be a good question to ask them.  I love when they get asked about embarrassing old songs LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2021, 12:37:42 AM »

They've got to be ghostwritten. Or team written? I can't imagine having that many ideas for stories even with an infinite number of historical time periods or events to draw from.

Yeah, and those require research too, more so than I would imagine BSC did.  I looked it up, and apparently they're not ghostwritten.  Impressive if that's true.

Alright, after rewatching Friends, I will commit to FNL. You've convinced me. Hulu's fine too, good to know it's somewhere.

Yes!  You'll have to let me know what you think when you get around to watching it.  I know Mare liked it too, and she hates football.  (Yep, we just keep bringing up her name.  Are your ears burning, Mare?)

Howie bingewatches TV while drinking margaritas and Brian types furiously on his phone? They go to church and celebrate holidays? They argue about living in Georgia or Florida? Brian is secretly the kinky one? Their relationship seems like a movie montage to me, lol.

At least Nick can make Howie pancakes for his breakfast so he can continue not cooking, lmfao.

LMAO!!  That sounds about right.  I bet both Howie and Brian are kinkier than we think, though.

I searched the Brian Littrell/Howie Dorough tag on AO3, and there are actually 55 works!  Some of them seem to be "The boys all have sex with each other" stories where all the possible pairings are tagged, but not all of them.  Some are just Brian/Howie.  Browie?  I guess I don't need to challenge myself to write a Browie slash that's not the most boring/vanilla slash in the world now. LOL

Now I wish I could go back to SAMS and add in a scene where Nick makes Howie pancakes LOL.  I don't think that ever happened because most of it was written before Nick had kids and became Pancake Daddy.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2021, 12:47:55 AM »

Nice try with the suggestion, but now that I've started posting it, absolutely not LOL.  Part of me would love to just go ahead and write the scenes I've been picturing in my head that come later, but I'd be afraid of running out of chapters to post two months from now if I don't stay the course and keep writing in order.

Some day, lol. Running out of chapters is a real fear, so I get it. I have until the end of June to figure out this current chapter, but the fear of running out becomes more real each day, lol.

Have you picked out new names for the other boys yet?  I actually had fun with that when planning my ill-fated OF Broken.  I kept Nick's name the same too and changed all the others.

I haven't, as I said, I'm dreading it. I even wrote a tiny bit for an upcoming chapter edit that was clearly stuck in my head and definitely wrote Howie where whatever Howie's future name is would go, lol. I started considering some on my list and some front runners for Howie are Richard or Charles. Current front runners for Brian are Matthew or Samuel. I have not even begun considering Kevin or AJ yet. I guess it's not necessarily dread and more the worry that once I commit to another name, they stop being the other Boys and I'll probably have a lot more of those "oops" moments that I need to reconcile for them. Of all the Boys, PBox Nick is definitely the strongest character and relies less on the "I'm Nick" than the other ones do.

LOL That's what I meant by Backstreet time in this case - where are we in BSB history?  Like in my current story, part of my character introduction at the beginning is reminding everyone where Kevin and the boys all were in their lives at the beginning of 2008.

"In case you all forgot, BSB land is burning. Muahahaha. Just kidding! Kevin's doing great! And Nick is not..." lol

Hey, stranger things have happened.  You came back after 10+ years!  And does anyone else remember Marley, who wrote comedies with really long, quirky titles?  I think her stories were hosted on Izzy's site back in the day, like late 90s/early 00s. She emailed me out of the blue a few weeks ago, asking if I was interested in hosting her old stories or knew of another place she could post them.  I directed her here and to AO3, and I noticed she's been posting them on AO3.  Who will come back next?!

I'm the strange thing in BSB fandom, good to know, lol. Blame the crocodile.

I saw that and thought "why does this sound familiar," Marley, yes. Now that makes way more sense! That's good that she found you to reach out to and you were able to point her on her way. I don't know what I would have done if I came here and it was a ghost town. It's nice that oldies are coming back and that y'all have kept a place going for us to come back to. :) I hope more people start coming back! I would love some more hubbub again! :)

Me too!  I have that old plate hanging on the wall of my writing room now.

I'm glad we've come to appreciate Howie and Kevin in our old age.  I think Kevin leaving was good for Howie, and Kevin coming back was good for Kevin LOL.  I started to appreciate Howie more after Kevin left, and I appreciated Kevin more after he came back.

Aww, such good inspiration!

Yes, same. And here we thought Kevin leaving would be the worst thing ever. In 2006, we were all bitter and betrayed Nick, apparently, lol.

LOL Such an odd choice.  I still remember the friend who got me into BSB warning me not to play Track #12 of their first (US) album in front of my parents.  Her parents were stricter than mine, so they probably would have found IYWITBGG scandalous, but mine didn't care.  The first album I was allowed to buy with my own money was TLC's Crazy Sexy Cool when I was like 9, so listening to BSB sing about sex when I was 12 was not a big deal.

Yes, that would be a good question to ask them.  I love when they get asked about embarrassing old songs LOL.

But sex sells! lol

My mom did not like it once I had a boombox, but by that point I had been listening to it on a walkman for a couple of years, so unless she listened to it while I was sleeping she had no idea until too late, lol.

Really, any question is good as long as we've stopped keeping track of Nick's underwear preferences on the daily, lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2021, 12:54:55 AM »

Yeah, and those require research too, more so than I would imagine BSC did.  I looked it up, and apparently they're not ghostwritten.  Impressive if that's true.

That is impressive! A kudos for all that research and continued inspiration.

Yes!  You'll have to let me know what you think when you get around to watching it.  I know Mare liked it too, and she hates football.  (Yep, we just keep bringing up her name.  Are your ears burning, Mare?)

Will do! Mare! Mare! Mare! Wasn't she getting her first does at the end of March? I hope she's feeling well.

LMAO!!  That sounds about right.  I bet both Howie and Brian are kinkier than we think, though.

I searched the Brian Littrell/Howie Dorough tag on AO3, and there are actually 55 works!  Some of them seem to be "The boys all have sex with each other" stories where all the possible pairings are tagged, but not all of them.  Some are just Brian/Howie.  Browie?  I guess I don't need to challenge myself to write a Browie slash that's not the most boring/vanilla slash in the world now. LOL

Now I wish I could go back to SAMS and add in a scene where Nick makes Howie pancakes LOL.  I don't think that ever happened because most of it was written before Nick had kids and became Pancake Daddy.

Oh, I'm sure. I had a hard time deciding which one to put as the secretly kinky one.

55 tags for Browie! Glad you don't have to take it upon yourself to make sure they get some love. Does that mean that the other two are AJowie and Kowie? I feel like we're missing out on some great opportunities to have AJ's include Bone. Maybe Howie/AJ is Sweet Bone, lmao.

His hidden talents. To be honest, I was always a little worried about his nutrition growing up. Did he eat vegetables? Were they only on pizza? lol I'm glad he's cooking.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »

Y'all, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time today staring at my screen messing around on Vulgar Language and finally might have something. I'm exhausted, lol.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »

I haven't, as I said, I'm dreading it. I even wrote a tiny bit for an upcoming chapter edit that was clearly stuck in my head and definitely wrote Howie where whatever Howie's future name is would go, lol. I started considering some on my list and some front runners for Howie are Richard or Charles. Current front runners for Brian are Matthew or Samuel. I have not even begun considering Kevin or AJ yet. I guess it's not necessarily dread and more the worry that once I commit to another name, they stop being the other Boys and I'll probably have a lot more of those "oops" moments that I need to reconcile for them. Of all the Boys, PBox Nick is definitely the strongest character and relies less on the "I'm Nick" than the other ones do.

I'm sure that will be weird.  I would be tempted to keep their names the same until the end and then do find/replace to change them, but the character development might go better if you write them as "original characters" with different names from the very beginning.

Will do! Mare! Mare! Mare! Wasn't she getting her first does at the end of March? I hope she's feeling well.

Mare!  Come back!  She posted about baking and then dropping a cheesecake right before Easter.  I hope it still tasted good!

55 tags for Browie! Glad you don't have to take it upon yourself to make sure they get some love. Does that mean that the other two are AJowie and Kowie? I feel like we're missing out on some great opportunities to have AJ's include Bone. Maybe Howie/AJ is Sweet Bone, lmao.

His hidden talents. To be honest, I was always a little worried about his nutrition growing up. Did he eat vegetables? Were they only on pizza? lol I'm glad he's cooking.

Sweet Bone for sure! LMAO

I'm proud of Nick for learning to cook!

Y'all, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time today staring at my screen messing around on Vulgar Language and finally might have something. I'm exhausted, lol.

Wow, good for you!  That sounds tough and time-consuming for sure, but I'm glad you came up with something.

I have had a lot of plans with friends so far this spring break, most of which involve day drinking.  The introvert in me is screaming, "But I just want to stay home in my pajamas and write all day!"  I get my second shot Thursday, so that will be my excuse to stay home and do nothing Thurs-Sun.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2021, 09:35:44 PM »

I'm sure that will be weird.  I would be tempted to keep their names the same until the end and then do find/replace to change them, but the character development might go better if you write them as "original characters" with different names from the very beginning.

I would do that, but as I majorly overhaul it, I'm having two of my friends look it over. And I feel like Nick, Howie, Brian, Kevin, and AJ running around PBox land is a sure indicator that it began its life as a Backstreet Boys fanfic, lol. Whereas I can explain away the "Nick." Though they thought he was named after my husband and asked if he'd read it, actually, lol. No, no, I started writing this in 2005. "Oh, so it's Nick Carter inspired?" Sure, "inspired," let's go with that, lol.

Mare!  Come back!  She posted about baking and then dropping a cheesecake right before Easter.  I hope it still tasted good!

On twitter? I feel like I miss out on so much, but I just hate social media. Not the cheescake! Those things are soooo temperamental. I hope it tasted delicious aside from being dropped.

Sweet Bone for sure! LMAO

It just sounds like a sexual BBQ sauce or dry rub, lol.

Wow, good for you!  That sounds tough and time-consuming for sure, but I'm glad you came up with something.

I was really mad because the first or second one it generated, I actually liked, so I purchased it and it deleted it when I tried to get more words. So upset. It took me a couple of hours to get something even close to the first one again. I had the worst headache afterward.

That and it gives you bizarre words for sample words. No, I really don't care about the word for "prostitute." Can you tell me pronouns for people? Some verbs? Anything normal? No? lol

I have had a lot of plans with friends so far this spring break, most of which involve day drinking.  The introvert in me is screaming, "But I just want to stay home in my pajamas and write all day!"  I get my second shot Thursday, so that will be my excuse to stay home and do nothing Thurs-Sun.

That sounds fun! Day drinking with friends was one of my favorite hobbies pre-COVID, lol. That's what I did last week during Spring Break as well. Afternoon drink? Then you can hang out in your pjs until at least noon. I'm just happy it's getting warm out again for patio cocktails. :)

Hopefully you get some writing done during your shot instead of researching boyband fanfic on AO3, lol. Because that's a great use of recovery mode. ::) I enjoyed every minute of it, it was just not helpful for writing, lol.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2021, 09:47:24 PM »

I would do that, but as I majorly overhaul it, I'm having two of my friends look it over. And I feel like Nick, Howie, Brian, Kevin, and AJ running around PBox land is a sure indicator that it began its life as a Backstreet Boys fanfic, lol. Whereas I can explain away the "Nick." Though they thought he was named after my husband and asked if he'd read it, actually, lol. No, no, I started writing this in 2005. "Oh, so it's Nick Carter inspired?" Sure, "inspired," let's go with that, lol.

LOL Very true.  That might be a bit obvious to the beta readers.

On twitter? I feel like I miss out on so much, but I just hate social media. Not the cheescake! Those things are soooo temperamental. I hope it tasted delicious aside from being dropped.

Facebook.  I hate Facebook, but I just can't quit it.  I'm too nosy.  I like knowing what's going on with people without having to actually call or text them LOL.  I like Twitter better, but that's probably because I only use Twitter for fandom stuff.

The cheesecake still looked good to me!  I'd eat it.

It just sounds like a sexual BBQ sauce or dry rub, lol.

LMFAO!  I'm sure there is a fetish for having BBQ sauce rubbed all over you... which could lead to cannibalism.  And now I'm thinking about cannibalism slash.  Maybe that should be my April Fool's story next year.

I was really mad because the first or second one it generated, I actually liked, so I purchased it and it deleted it when I tried to get more words. So upset. It took me a couple of hours to get something even close to the first one again. I had the worst headache afterward.

That and it gives you bizarre words for sample words. No, I really don't care about the word for "prostitute." Can you tell me pronouns for people? Some verbs? Anything normal? No? lol

You have to pay for it??  Oh man, that sucks.  Especially if it's not even giving you good words.  I bet you had a headache!

That sounds fun! Day drinking with friends was one of my favorite hobbies pre-COVID, lol. That's what I did last week during Spring Break as well. Afternoon drink? Then you can hang out in your pjs until at least noon. I'm just happy it's getting warm out again for patio cocktails. :)

Hopefully you get some writing done during your shot instead of researching boyband fanfic on AO3, lol. Because that's a great use of recovery mode. ::) I enjoyed every minute of it, it was just not helpful for writing, lol.

That's what we've been doing - drinking on someone's driveway or patio in the afternoon.  So yes, I can still sleep in and spend the morning writing in bed before I have to burst the bubble and leave my house.  Not a bad routine, but then I come home sleepy and sunburned and don't feel like doing anything.  I have still been writing every day, just not as much as I would like to be writing.  I hope to be more productive the last four days of break!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2021, 09:57:03 PM »

I thought of a question/topic to discuss.  I usually listen to podcasts when I fall asleep at night, and most of them have Patreon accounts and are always begging their followers to become patrons and give them money.  A lot of them also have sponsors and ads, which drive me nuts.  I've also noticed certain YouTube channels have Patreons, and of course many of them have ads as well.  It made me wonder if any fanfic writers have created Patreon accounts to get paid for their work.  I Googled and found a Reddit thread on this exact topic. https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/734r62/patreon_and_fanfiction/  The short answer is, yes, apparently it has been done, but many people question the legality of making money writing fanfic because of copyright issues.

So I guess my question is, how do you feel about content creators being paid/asking for donations for their work, and does this apply to fanfic as well?  If it became trendy for fanfic writers to have Patreons or something similar, would you do it?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »

LOL Very true.  That might be a bit obvious to the beta readers.

Especially since they know I like the Boys and are familiar enough with them themselves. So, I've got like four more chapter before I have to figure out what to about Howie because his name doesn't come up until then, thank goodness.

In the meantime, I'm doing my weekly edit and decided to change perspective on a scene and got to add this gem: “It’s Nick and his cute butt! He deserves our appreciation!” Because what better way to distract someone from being emo than talking about their butt, lol.

Facebook.  I hate Facebook, but I just can't quit it.  I'm too nosy.  I like knowing what's going on with people without having to actually call or text them LOL.  I like Twitter better, but that's probably because I only use Twitter for fandom stuff.

The cheesecake still looked good to me!  I'd eat it.

Good luck getting me on Facebook. I know who really loves me if they say "I invited you to this thing on FB, but I know you don't check it and I still want you to come."

I don't like to eat food off the floor, but I love cheesecake, so... I guess, how often do you mop your kitchen, Mare?

LMFAO!  I'm sure there is a fetish for having BBQ sauce rubbed all over you... which could lead to cannibalism.  And now I'm thinking about cannibalism slash.  Maybe that should be my April Fool's story next year.

Mmm, finger lickin' good. lmao. I'll see myself out. Please do it. Is Sweet Bone more or less popular than Browie? (I keep mistyping it as Brownie, by the way, can we just call it that, lol.

You have to pay for it??  Oh man, that sucks.  Especially if it's not even giving you good words.  I bet you had a headache!

To save it, get thousands of words, a translator function, and be able to edit or create multiple languages. It was only $25 forever, so it honestly wasn't too bad. And I finally got the words I was actually wanting to create (which weren't even that complicated... "to open" seems like a standard thing you'd need in a language), plus mucked around with making up some words. It made up "diamond" but not "sapphire" and I was like... okie dokie... where could you possibly get etymology for sapphire... I settled on "ocean-diamond" because I hated the way "blue-diamond" and "blue-jewel" sounded. Like I said... a headache...

That's what we've been doing - drinking on someone's driveway or patio in the afternoon.  So yes, I can still sleep in and spend the morning writing in bed before I have to burst the bubble and leave my house.  Not a bad routine, but then I come home sleepy and sunburned and don't feel like doing anything.  I have still been writing every day, just not as much as I would like to be writing.  I hope to be more productive the last four days of break!

See, that's why I always offered up my house over the summer. I could make the time later and when it was time to leave, I just went inside, lol. I also feel lazy when I get sunburned, so I understand. I believe in your productivity in writing and day drinking!  ;D
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »

In the meantime, I'm doing my weekly edit and decided to change perspective on a scene and got to add this gem: “It’s Nick and his cute butt! He deserves our appreciation!” Because what better way to distract someone from being emo than talking about their butt, lol.

Nick does have a cute butt!

Good luck getting me on Facebook. I know who really loves me if they say "I invited you to this thing on FB, but I know you don't check it and I still want you to come."

Very true!  Meanwhile, I just unfollow people I don't care to keep in touch with and pretend I don't get on Facebook because I rarely post anything.  But I lurk there every day.  I'm that person LOL.

Mmm, finger lickin' good. lmao. I'll see myself out. Please do it. Is Sweet Bone more or less popular than Browie? (I keep mistyping it as Brownie, by the way, can we just call it that, lol.

I almost typed Brownie too.  We can definitely call it Brownie.  Brian has an N in it, so it still works.  There are 62 works tagged with Howie/AJ, so Sweet Bone is slightly more popular than Brownie.  BSB fans must prefer BBQ sauce to chocolate.

To save it, get thousands of words, a translator function, and be able to edit or create multiple languages. It was only $25 forever, so it honestly wasn't too bad. And I finally got the words I was actually wanting to create (which weren't even that complicated... "to open" seems like a standard thing you'd need in a language), plus mucked around with making up some words. It made up "diamond" but not "sapphire" and I was like... okie dokie... where could you possibly get etymology for sapphire... I settled on "ocean-diamond" because I hated the way "blue-diamond" and "blue-jewel" sounded. Like I said... a headache...

That's not bad if it's something you'll actually use.  I'm glad you were able to get at least some of what you were looking for.  I hate when you spend money on something that you think will be useful, and then it turns out to be not what you thought it would be.

See, that's why I always offered up my house over the summer. I could make the time later and when it was time to leave, I just went inside, lol. I also feel lazy when I get sunburned, so I understand. I believe in your productivity in writing and day drinking!  ;D

Good idea!

Tomorrow I am going to visit my grandma (which will not involve day drinking) and then going axe throwing with some friends (which will involve night drinking).  That is my last day of planned social activities, and then I can get my vaccine and retreat back into my cave of solitude for the rest of my break LOL.  The weather has been beautiful here this week, which is not always the case on spring break, so at least I can say I saw the sun and enjoyed some outdoor time.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2021, 10:25:32 PM »

So I guess my question is, how do you feel about content creators being paid/asking for donations for their work, and does this apply to fanfic as well?  If it became trendy for fanfic writers to have Patreons or something similar, would you do it?

Interesting topic! A lot of fan artists do it, I think more so than fan fiction, but I also question the legality of that. What's that other one? "Buy me a kofi?" I've never actually become a patron for anyone, so I'm only vaguely aware of how it works.

Sponsorship ads also annoy me, but I recognize the draw for it if you're doing something time consuming, but fulfilling and popular, yet still need to pay your bills.

I'm on the fence when it comes to fandom specifically, less so for some YouTube content creators that aren't really fandom based. I'm thinking of the Overly Sarcastic Productions channel that I really enjoy where they do retellings of history and mythology (which I wouldn't call fanfic), but then again, I stumbled on the TV Trope fanfic recommendation page for "Classical Mythology" and someone listed the Percy Jackson series on that page and the Illiad, so... lol.

It's less the legality of it for me and more that part of the joy in being part of a fandom is sharing it together and it's all well and good when it's reviews and certain types of stories or certain well-known authors getting more reviews, but then it just seems like an uneven playing field if people monetize, because can you break through that ceiling without actually monetizing yourself? Is it worth it? Would people only start associating in dollar-related circles? Would it dissuade readers who always got it for free? Who knows! (I've actually thought about this and would honestly lean toward just sending OF PBox to anyone around here who wanted to read it if it ever actually got published... but future pipe dreams). But then there's also the argument that if you can make money (without getting sued) and people want to pay you money to write fanfic, then why shouldn't you?

I don't think it would be worth it for me personally, but I say to each their own.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:44:31 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:50 PM »

Nick does have a cute butt!

Agreed. PBox Nick would be embarrassed to know that it's being appreciated outside of that conversation, lol.

Very true!  Meanwhile, I just unfollow people I don't care to keep in touch with and pretend I don't get on Facebook because I rarely post anything.  But I lurk there every day.  I'm that person LOL.

That's my husband. He checks it every day, but only posts when he's at a sporting event, lol.

I almost typed Brownie too.  We can definitely call it Brownie.  Brian has an N in it, so it still works.  There are 62 works tagged with Howie/AJ, so Sweet Bone is slightly more popular than Brownie.  BSB fans must prefer BBQ sauce to chocolate.

That's what I figured, the "n" in Brian made it fine. Savory versus sweet. Just make them a power thruple and BSB fans get it all, lol.

Those "all of them have sex with each other stories" may as well just tag it "Backdoor Boys, alright!" I'm just trying to get all our possible pairing names out of the way to modernize us, lol.

That's not bad if it's something you'll actually use.  I'm glad you were able to get at least some of what you were looking for.  I hate when you spend money on something that you think will be useful, and then it turns out to be not what you thought it would be.

Like I said before, not sure how much of it I'd end up using... whole sentences seem like a lot. But, here and there it's good to distance itself from the loanword way it is now without just banging my head on my keyboard and hoping it looks okay. At least it uses real phonemes and grammar structure.

Tomorrow I am going to visit my grandma (which will not involve day drinking) and then going axe throwing with some friends (which will involve night drinking).  That is my last day of planned social activities, and then I can get my vaccine and retreat back into my cave of solitude for the rest of my break LOL.  The weather has been beautiful here this week, which is not always the case on spring break, so at least I can say I saw the sun and enjoyed some outdoor time.

That sounds like a fun day! Sweet grandma time and then badass ax throwing! Ours was really nice last week too, thank goodness. And it was 81* yesterday, then rained all day today. Oh spring. Make sure to at least see the sun during your retreat into your cave of solitude. Vitamin D is good for us all. :)
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50