Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131393 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #735 on: June 10, 2021, 11:41:25 PM »

I totally get that.  Take your time, and focus on finishing the PBox series first!  Just letting you know I'm here for it when/if you eventually get around to it.

Aww! :) In the meantime, you get random one off musings like this, lol.

I can't think of a more recent one.  If there is, it didn't make it onto my radar.  There was a fantastic Brian cancer story written during the Summer of Sadness, the same time I was writing Curtain Call (the beginnings were posted days apart without either of us knowing what the other one was writing), but that's the last one I've read.  The two other writers who I could count on to consistently churn out BSB medical dramas don't write anymore, so maybe I do have some sort of monopoly.  I've read a few more recent Brian heart problem stories on AO3, so those are still out there to some extent.  They're mostly short stories though.  I would love a novel!

That's fun that two of you had a cancer story idea at the same time. Did you have a little writer discussion group for it? :) If Brian heart problem stories are popping up again, then there's a little expansion, so... what's the term below a monopoly? lol

I looked it up. You are the Dominant Firm of BSB medical dramas (you control at least half the market and have no significant competitors. The ones you do have are smaller firms who compete with each other for the rest of the market rather than you.) This is the weirdest thing I've googled in a while other than the random movie I stumbled on while searching the demon tag. "A Purgatory Story" wherein a demon falls in love with a human girl who appears in his realm. And I had a "is this PBox?" moment (it is not).

LMAO I would pay to see his reaction!  He would definitely never expect it.  Based on that one Perez Hilton Q&A thing they did in 2013ish where they were asked about fanfic, he clearly has no concept of what it actually is.  He's probably better off not knowing LOL.

I would too, but I'm also not positive I would want him to know that I wrote it. As much as I joke, I'm sure his actual reaction would be closer to "WTF" than detailed discussions on the fleeting force of life and nature rising up against man. But it should be the second! Again, I'm probably overselling this idea, lol. I think I missed that one, what did he say? (You don't have to find it; a summary is fine.) He is probably better off not knowing, lol.

Hopefully you'll be done with PNecklace and ready to start a new project by July!  You could just set your word count goal low if haven't actually started a new story by then.  It's coming up more quickly than I would like.  I need to kick it into high gear if I'm going to make my June goal, considering I'm not quite to the halfway point yet.  I should be able to keep the streak going, though, since I don't have a vacation planned now that the tour's been postponed again.  That is usually when I choose to let my streaks end so I don't have to worry about it while I'm traveling.  (Plus I don't like to think about what I'm putting the Boys through in my stories when I see them in real life LOL.)

Yes, the sequel itch.  That's an itch I haven't had in a long time!  It's still just kind of poking around my brain and hasn't progressed to the point of outlines or characters or titles or banners, but that's exactly how it started with BMS.  This feels similar in a lot of ways.  We'll see how I feel when this one's further along.

I had to up my word count goal again because the remainder wasn't enough for three chapters, and NaNo says I'll be done on June 15th, which is unlikely since that's my anniversary and hubs and I are doing a little staycation at the hotel we had our room block at next week. Although, I did request an hour to write each morning and he requested an hour of gym time, so if I don't finish it this weekend, maybe I'll get some solid writing done. I don't want to rule out that I'll get into the groove and this weekend will be like last weekend. I'm hoping it is, actually. It would be exciting if I had decided on my next project by July! :) I hope so!

I believe in you! You can do it! Maybe we can convince Tracy to join our July Camp projects. I get not wanting to write while traveling, since there's already so much going on. But you really don't like hugging Brian and thinking about how you stabbed him recently? lol

Have you had a sequel since BMS? I'm feeling like the answer is no, yeah? I get why the itch wouldn't have struck though if the stories didn't feel warranted having one and BMS was a long sequel, so you may have been sequeled out at that point. That's fun that it feels similar though, since Broken/BMS are close to your heart. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #736 on: June 10, 2021, 11:44:38 PM »

Uh oh! Page fifty! It's almost time for The Writing Thread Four! Get excited for this overplayed the Fast and the Furious joke to continue, lol!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #737 on: June 11, 2021, 12:14:17 AM »

That's fun that two of you had a cancer story idea at the same time. Did you have a little writer discussion group for it? :)

No writer discussion group, but it was perfect because her story couldn't have been more different from mine.  It was more of a bucket list type story, and you don't find out about the cancer till the second half, but my cancer story radar was pinging from the first couple chapters.  I just had a feeling that's where it was heading, and sure enough...  It was a great story!

If Brian heart problem stories are popping up again, then there's a little expansion, so... what's the term below a monopoly? lol

I looked it up. You are the Dominant Firm of BSB medical dramas (you control at least half the market and have no significant competitors. The ones you do have are smaller firms who compete with each other for the rest of the market rather than you.) This is the weirdest thing I've googled in a while other than the random movie I stumbled on while searching the demon tag. "A Purgatory Story" wherein a demon falls in love with a human girl who appears in his realm. And I had a "is this PBox?" moment (it is not).

LMAO!  Dominant Firm of BSB Medical Dramas.  I love that!!  I would welcome some "competition" though, which I wouldn't even see as competition.  There's room for all medical drama writers, the more the merrier!  Just do your research first!

Oh, that is always interesting where you find a movie or book with a seemingly similar idea to one of your stories.  Usually it turns out to be not that similar.  Have you ever come across something that was really similar to your work that you had no idea about when you were writing it (maybe because it didn't exist yet)?  I had something similar happen the other day; I watched a new movie that was trending on Netflix because, again, it made me radar ping and reminded me of something I'd written, and sure enough... I found it very predictable, probably because I wrote a novel with a similar premise, although mine went a totally different direction.

I would too, but I'm also not positive I would want him to know that I wrote it. As much as I joke, I'm sure his actual reaction would be closer to "WTF" than detailed discussions on the fleeting force of life and nature rising up against man. But it should be the second! Again, I'm probably overselling this idea, lol. I think I missed that one, what did he say? (You don't have to find it; a summary is fine.) He is probably better off not knowing, lol.

LOL I would be mortified if any of them ever read one of mine.  So yeah, "BSB Reacts to Fanfic" is probably not a good idea.

I will link the video because it's easy to find: https://youtu.be/Gyv2X0BqxBI?t=54  Basically, Nick thinks fanfic has "a lot of gossip" (??), until Kevin informs him that the two of them hook up in fanfic and calls it "freaky."  Kevin has clearly read some slash LOL.  Nick clearly does not know what he's talking about, which, again, is probably a good thing.

I had to up my word count goal again because the remainder wasn't enough for three chapters, and NaNo says I'll be done on June 15th, which is unlikely since that's my anniversary and hubs and I are doing a little staycation at the hotel we had our room block at next week. Although, I did request an hour to write each morning and he requested an hour of gym time, so if I don't finish it this weekend, maybe I'll get some solid writing done. I don't want to rule out that I'll get into the groove and this weekend will be like last weekend. I'm hoping it is, actually. It would be exciting if I had decided on my next project by July! :) I hope so!

I believe in you! You can do it! Maybe we can convince Tracy to join our July Camp projects. I get not wanting to write while traveling, since there's already so much going on. But you really don't like hugging Brian and thinking about how you stabbed him recently? lol

You are so prolific!!  That's awesome that you keep upping your word count goal and are still on track to finish in time.  A staycation, that sounds nice!  And that'll be perfect if you do your writing while he's at the gym.  An hour a day is enough to keep the streak alive, at least.

I hope Tracy does join us!  She'll need to decide on a new project too, since History is almost done.  Tracy, do you have any more thoughts on what you'll write next?

LOL True story - last time I did a VIP was during their Vegas residency, and I insisted on standing next to Howie for the photo because I felt so guilty about brutally killing him ten days earlier and just wanted to give him a big hug.  Thankfully, he did not know that.

Have you had a sequel since BMS? I'm feeling like the answer is no, yeah? I get why the itch wouldn't have struck though if the stories didn't feel warranted having one and BMS was a long sequel, so you may have been sequeled out at that point. That's fun that it feels similar though, since Broken/BMS are close to your heart. :)

Not a novel-length sequel to another novel.  Technically SAMS is a sequel to a one-shot, but I don't really count that one.  I think of it more as Unsuspecting Sunday being a prequel to SAMS.  There's also my pandaskunk stories, but those are novellas.  I swore I would never write another sequel because I don't have a good track record for finishing them, but I have no regrets about writing BMS.  I guess I would consider writing another one with the right idea and inspiration.  I feel like the basic idea is there; it just needs some development.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:55:58 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #738 on: June 11, 2021, 01:06:22 AM »

In answer to your question Dee, yeah I did end up choosing something. I think it works a lot better than what I was going to go with originally so I think these last two chapters should come easily. I dunno what I'm writing after this. I've got nothing. I have a list of some ideas but nothing solid.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #739 on: June 12, 2021, 07:58:02 PM »

I love what you went with, Tracy!  It was perfect.  Let us know if you want any feedback on your new story ideas.

How's everyone's weekend going?

I am slowly but surely making my way through my Nick chapter.  It feels like I'm not even to the heart of the chapter yet, but I just checked my word count, and it's already over 3,000 words... so I'm thinking this may be another long one.  I guess that'll balance out the monster Kevin chapter I wrote last week.

I also got two comments right off the bat on today's update, which was really nice, especially considering I didn't get any feedback on last week's chapter.  It's funny because last week's chapter was probably my favorite one in the entire story up to that point, but it didn't have Nick, Brian, AJ, or Howie in it, only Kevin.  This week's had all five.  I wonder if that was the difference in how it was received by readers.  Does that ever happen to you, where parts you love get no reaction, and the parts that do get commented on are ones you don't consider to be all that special?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #740 on: June 12, 2021, 09:00:04 PM »

I had some stuff written in that notebook that I told you about. There was an original handwritten draft of the first few chapters of Take Me Home, and two paragraphs of something that I was playing with. I keep going back to this idea with aliens or something.

In the notebook that I hadn't looked at in about three years I found it was interesting I was playing with a hunger games type of thing, but there were a lot of references to other stuff Iike that Malaysia airlines flight that went missing and some other conspiracy theories. I had an idea for a story to be centered around NYC during a blackout too. I don't know where I was going with any of it, I guess at the time I wrote it down anyway.

I keep meaning to catch up on your story, Julie. I might do that tonight on my lunch at work. Sorry about that!

I've been disappointed by feedback on something before. There were a few times where this has happened for whatever and since I overthink a lot I tend to think it means that it sucked. Which I used to be in that mind set a lot, but thankfully I don't think that way for the most part anymore. It's perfectly fine to be disappointed though especially since you worked so hard on it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #741 on: June 12, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »

Ooh, all those ideas sound intriguing.  You could probably combine some of them, too.  An alien invasion could be the cause of a plane disappearing and a widescale blackout.  A Hunger Games type fic could be interesting, too.

No worries!  I wasn't fishing for feedback, just commenting on how it can vary chapter to chapter.  I don't assume that a chapter or story that doesn't get any feedback sucks, just that maybe it doesn't resonate with readers as much as it did with me.  That, or people are just busy and haven't gotten around to reading yet or can't think of what to comment on.  It is a little disappointing when you work hard on something and don't get any kind of feedback on it, but it happens.  As long as I'm happy with what I wrote, I don't let it bother me.  I have also gotten better at not overthinking or worrying about what other people think.

Another thing to remember is that there are a lot of "silent readers" out there - people who read every chapter and never say a word.  Some people, especially those who don't write themselves, just don't feel comfortable leaving reviews.  I don't remember ever really emailing writers with feedback until I started writing and posting stories myself.  Then I realized how much people appreciate hearing that someone enjoyed their story, so I started saying so.  Major kudos to the readers who don't write themselves and still take the time to leave comments.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #742 on: June 12, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »

I really do love the alien invasion one lol. I think I'm gonna see if I can finish Take Me Home or something before I work on anything new yet, because I kind of want to go and complete it. There's that Brian story that I was playing with that's a spin off of Nick and Amanda. I also have that storm chasing one that I was going to redo as well. Lots of ideas floating around. Nothing fully formed yet. There's the unfinished one shot too.

I actually was googling writing prompts the other night to see if anything interested me. There was a time travel one I found interesting too.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #743 on: June 12, 2021, 10:29:10 PM »

Ooh, time travel.  That always intrigues me, but it seems like it would be tough to write.  It makes my head hurt.  But I like the concept.  What kind of time travel would you be most interested in writing?  Like, would they go far back in time or into the future?  Or into the recent past to try to change something from their own history, like in The Butterfly Effect?  That is one of my favorite time travel movies.

Has anyone else used writing prompts to get an idea?  I don't think I have, other than the monthly challenges here.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]