- Text Size +
I am sure by now you are thinking the worst. That Julia has given up on Mr. McLean and will now be married to Sir Lucas. But I hate to disappoint you there, it turns out that Nicholas was right; Sir Lucas had a terrible past. Nicholas did not waste time in going to Bayshore and showing the proofs to his father. Of course what he did not know was that someone was already working on that same thing....

It had been exactly a month since Julia had returned to Bayshore. Most of her time was spent reading books and long walks to town. Sometimes she just walked into the forest, she loved nature. She was sad though and even if she did not show it she missed London or more like she missed Mr. McLean. Some how she felt like she had misjudged him and now she was stuck with Sir Lucas, she was a Carter and the Carter’s never went back on there word.

“Angelina there is a young man asking for you,” Miss Singleton said to her daughter with a quizzical brow. “He said his name was Alexander McLean.”

Angelina looked at her mother puzzled, “Mr. McLean?”

“Yes do I need to know anything Angelina?” she asked her daughter.

“No mother I met him at the Carter’s ball a while back, he is a good friend of Nicholas,” Angelina responded. “I will just see what he wants.”

Alexander nervous but he did not know of another way to see Julia, “Miss Singleton,” he vowed as he saw her at the door.

Angelina curtsied and asked him to come in, “How can I help you sir?”

“Well,” Alexander said making sure no one could hear his conversation with Miss Singleton. “I know you are a good friend of Miss Carter and for that reason I know you are the only who can help me,” he told her.

“How can I possibly help you sir?” Angelina asked him very intrigued. To her knowledge Julia was engaged to Sir Lucas and she knew nothing about Mr. McLean.

*********

Julia closed her eyes as she played the piano forte and was startled when she heard Angelina’s voice. “Mrs. Carter, Julia” Angelina said as she curtsied. “I do apologize for interrupting you,” she told Julia as she gave her a smile.

“Miss Singleton it is nice to see you, please join us.” Mrs. Carter said as she poured tea for Angelina.

“Well actually Mrs. Carter I wanted to invite Julia to walk with me into town. I want to buy a dress for Mr. Carter’s wedding and I want her opinion on it. I am having it costumed made for me.”

Julia saw the urgent look in Angelina’s face she also spoke, “I would love to accompany you may I mother?”

“Well I suppose you can just be back in time for dinner,” She told her daughter who was already walking away with her friend.

*********

“This is not the way into town,” Julia told Angelina as she continued to follow her.

“Of course I know that Julia,” Angelina said as she stopped walking and turned to face her friend. “Why did you not tell me about Mr. McLean?”

Julia’s heart jumped as she heard his name, “What are you talking about?” she asked knowing well what she was talking about but wondering how Angelina had found out.

“Well today I got this strange visitor and he told me about his feelings towards you. He told me everything,” Angelina told her friend excited.

“What are you talking about what visitor?” Julia asked her friend suddenly feeling the urge to run back to her home. She turned to walk away but instead she crashed into him… “Alexander?”

“Me, she is talking about me,” he told Julia as he wrapped his arms around her. He smiled at her and spoke again, “I had to talk to you but I did not want to just show up at your home unannounced especially when Nicholas may show up soon as well.”

“There is nothing to talk about sir,” Julia said as she pulled herself away.

“Pleas my Julia just listen to what I have to say,” he stared at her begging at her with his eyes.

“I am going to go pick up some wild flowers just over there,” Angelina said as she began to back away giving them the privacy they needed.

“After you left London I hired a good friend of mine to investigate Sir Lucas and a week later he came to me with the disturbing news that Sir Lucas was engaged to a young lady in Bath. He had his way with her and left her with child, he never honored his intentions with her. He has since then not been seen by her or her family.” Alexander told Julia before she could speak again.

Julia just stared at him trying to comprehend what she was hearing. “What? He has a child?”

“Yes, when I learned about this I was sure to sent my findings to your brother. I have learned from my sister he is on his way here to tell your father. But I needed you to know and I want you to know that I will ask for hand in marriage. You cannot marry anyone else but me,” he told her taking her lips with his.

Julia did not fight him and instead kissed him back. “I do not have to marry him?” she asked smiling at him.

“No,” he told her caressing her cheek. “We can be together,” he told her.

“What about Miss Pier?” she asked him as she left his embrace.

“I guess you have not heard of her engagement to Sir Richardson.” He said smiling at her and then he spoke again, "She has found love with Sir Richardson and are to be married soon."

******

Julia was anxious to see her brother; she was the only one to know about him coming to Bayshore. She was excited that soon not only would she be free of Sir Lucas but she was also going to be engaged to Alexander nothing could go wrong. “He is here,” she said as she heard a carriage approaching. She knew better than to run she was to be surprised.

“Miss Julia you are needed downstairs,” Ms. Sudbury said as she walked in to her room. “You won’t guess who is here,” she said with excitement. “Your brother,” she told Julia.

Julia took that as a hint and jumped up running down the stairs. “Nicholas,” she said as she saw him hugging their mother.

“Julia,” he said giving her sister a grin. “I have missed you,” he said going to hug her.

“Well Nicholas why do we have the honor of your visit at Bayshore,” Mr. Carter said entering the room. “I hope you still have a fiancée,” he said.

“Yes sir the wedding is still taking place, I actually am here to speak to you and Julia.” he said.

“Well it must be important if you had to come all the way from London to tell us, lets go to the library.” Mr. Carter said.

********

Julia watched as her father and Nicholas left on a coach toward Barton where Sir Lucas was staying with Mr. Crawford and her sister Roberta. She was happy yet worried as she saw the look on her father’s face it was not a happy one.

But Sir Lucas deserved it after dishonoring her and the young lady in Bath. She still did not understand why Sir Lucas was like that and she did not care either now all she had to think about is Alexander and his soon visit to Bayshore to ask for her hand in marriage. She wondered how he was doing at Augusta with his cousin. He had left to Augusta after there encounter, he had promised to return for the sole purpose of asking for her hand in marriage. “I cannot wait for you to be here again,” she whispered as she thought of him.