- Text Size +
The next day Julia woke up extra early and was in the kitchen drinking a tea. The truth was Julia was not feeling well at all but she wanted to see Alexander and for that reason there she was putting on a facade. “I am fine,” Julia insisted as she finished her tea. “Please Lady Sudbury… I am well its just a little cold. It will pass.”

“Miss Julia maybe we should at least tell Nicholas,” Lady Sudbury begged as she looked worried for Julia. Somehow she knew that Julia was lying to her but, why was she exposing herself in that state?

“I am off,” Julia said as she suppressed a cough. “I promise I will be fine.”

“Where you are you heading to?” She asked looking at her curiously with a weak smile on her face.

“I am going into to town to see Angelina,” Julia answered stuttering. “I need a companion for a walk,” she felt like she needed to say more.

“Please Lady Julia… you will return at the slightest discomfort?” Lady Sudbury asked still very worried.

Julia walked out before she could have more obstacles in leaving Bayshore. Once outside and away from any servant or anyone she began to cough in hysterics. She managed to suppress her cough as she began her long walk into town. The only thing that gave her strength was knowing she was going to see Alexander.

*******

Julia had to hold herself on the wall as she tried to control her breathing. For the first time in her life the trip to her best friend’s house had caused her so much trouble. Maybe she should have a doctor see her, but she shook away that thought as she knocked at the door.

She forced a smile on her face just in time to be greeted by Mrs. Singleton herself. “Good morn Mrs. Singleton,” she curtsied and tried not to show the discomfort that it caused her.

“My dear Julia are you well? You look sickly…” Mrs. Singleton said looking at her worriedly.

“Yes just a little worn out with all the preparations going on at my house,” she managed again to give her a smile. “Is Angelina home?”

“Of course dear where would she be? Come on in I will go get her she was helping with her brother’s bath.” Mrs. Singleton said as she began to walk away and disappear up the old stairs that led to where Angelina was probably at.

She watched and heard as Mrs. Singleton told Angelina she had a visitor. She took that moment to compose herself and pinched her cheeks. One was for sure she did not want to look sickly in front of her Alexander.

“Julia!” Angelina bellowed as she walked down the stairs. “I am glad you made it, well let’s head out… here.” She said handing her a letter. “He sent it earlier.”

“Is he not coming?” Julia asked as she tried to keep up with Angelina’s pace.

“No silly he is waiting for us at the meadow that takes you to Manor’s court.” Angelina said as she stopped to wait for Julia.

“Oh that is a long walk,” Julia said as she began to cough again.

“Are you alright?” Angelina said running back to her.

“Yes just a cold from when I got wet last time. It will pass just help me.” Julia said after composing herself again.

“Well I hope you get well for the wedding…” Angelina said worriedly as they began there walk to the meadow where Alexander awaited.

*********

She clung to Alexander as he hugged her. “I am glad you are here,” she told him.

“I will be over there…” Angelina said as she walked away to give them time alone.

Alexander smiled at her in gratitude, “Yes I am and this time I am making sure to secure your hand in marriage. I just wanted to know if it was fine with you for me to speak to your father now or after the wedding.”

Julia bit her lip as she cleared her throat to suppress another cough. “I do not know… I have something to tell you.”

Alexander watched Julia carefully as he heard her, “What is it my Julia?”

“Well I know you have met my aunt and cousin. The ones staying at Bayshore with us?” Julia said starting slowly.

“Yes I did have the pleasure,” Alexander said anxiously.

“Well my father has come to me again with the proposition to marry me to Henry! I of course have declined but for that reason I believe we should wait till after the wedding. I just do not want mother to see her sister or nephew leave abruptly because of me. I want Nicholas and Caroline to have a memorable wedding.” She finished fast gasping for air and suddenly she was coughing again.

Alexander was taking in Julia’s explanation but stopped thinking as he heard her coughing. “Julia are you ill?” he asked holding her with his arms.

She finally stopped coughing, “No I am fine I got wet a few days ago and have a cold. I will be fine a few days.” She smiled at him as she caressed his face.

“Why did you not sent me a note telling me this? I would have not asked you to come here.” He looked at her worried.

“No! I am fine…” Julia said hugging him again. “I will be fine in few days I had to see you.” she managed to smile and kissed his cheek.

Alexander sighed and kissed her forehead, “I wanted to see you too. But I think you should go back home and rest. I will see you later my mother is going for brunch I will join her. I will see you then…” he caressed her cheek and smiled at her. “I want you to be well.”

Julia frowned but had no will to fight the truth was she was feeling very ill. Her chest was in pain now but she was not going to worry him more. “Fine I will see you then.” She gave him a reassuring smile, “Angelin-“she tried to say all her name but again she was in coughs.

“Angelina…” Alexander said as he held Julia. “I think you should see a doctor Julia.”

“No I will be fine… do not worry Lady Sudbury is taking care of me. I will go home and use my salts and teas. I will be better in no time. See you there,” she said as she gladly took Angelina’s hand.

She gasped for air as soon as she was far enough to not worry Alexander. “I must get home to drink my tea so I will be fine for later.” She told Angelina as they began there walk back to Bayshore.