- Text Size +
“To my future wife,” Nicholas said as he raised his cup.

Julia raised her cup as she suppressed another cough. Tonight’s dinner was the last before the big wedding. Between suppressing her coughs and glancing at Alexander she managed to not give away her illness to anyone else.

“I do have to say son you have found yourself a wonderful young lady.” Mr. Carter said as he looked at his soon to be daughter in law. “Miss McLean how do you like the country?”

“Well sir I do enjoy it very much, I have spent many summers with my cousin Mrs. Littrell in Augusta.” Caroline answered.

“Good because Bayshore will pass to Nicholas soon and I believe he will be moving here permanently,” he turned to face his son.

Nicholas only nodded to his father and gave Julia a grin. He was the only other person in the family to know the secret arrangement between her and his soon to be brother in law.

*******

Julia hugged her brother tightly, “I am so happy for you Nicholas,” she told him. She was happy and relieved that finally the wedding had taken place.

“Thank you sister you out of anyone must know that this is a dream come true, no one can be happier than me today,” he told her.

“I think I know someone who could be happier than you my husband,” Caroline said as she smiled at him.

Julia hugged her new sister, “Oh Caroline it is such a rejoice to have you become my sister. I cannot believe it to be real, I feel like I am in a dream.”

He cleared his throat as he joined the party, “I have to say I am glad to call you my brother now,” Alexander said as he hugged his new brother in law. “I shall miss you very much my Caroline,” he told his sister as he hugged her too.

“Alexander I shall miss you too but I have a feeling we will still get to see a lot of each other,” she then winked at Julia.

He turned to see Julia blush at his sister’s comment. “Miss Julia may I have the next two dances?” he asked her finally looking at her. She looked gorgeous in the bridesmaids dress. He vowed to her and then extended his hand to her smiling as she took it.

“This a wonderful day to celebrate love do you not think so?” Julia said as she began to dance with Alexander.

“Yes indeed but it would be happier if you were the one wearing the wedding gown and I was the groom.” He told her as he twirled her.

Julia smiled and blushed, “I think that will also so be a glorious day too.”

“I shall request to talk to your father as soon as tomorrow morn.” He said with excitement in his voice. “My love how are you feeling though? You still look quite pale.” He said worriedly.

“I am fine,” she assured him just in time to see her cousin approach them. She groaned as she saw him smiling at her.

“My cousin must dance with me next,” Henry said as he passed by with his dancing partner. He winked at her and then he continued to dance.

“Your cousin is not a very pleasing person,” Alexander said with a jealous tone.

Julia giggled and then she cleared her throat to prevent the sudden urge to cough, “I have come to detest his presence, stay assured you have nothing to worry about. Besides you will talk to poppa soon and then we will put a date to wed.” She felt elated at that thought she would be Lady McLean and at seventeen.

***********

As she watched Nicholas and Caroline from her bedroom window she smiled. They seemed to be very happy about being man and wife. She could not have chosen someone better for her brother and she was adjusting quite well to her new role.

They were to leave to Lime soon for a few weeks before returning to Bayshore for Nicholas to come and claim what was rightfully his now that he was a married man. Bayshore would now belong to him.

Julia smiled as she continued to stare into the garden. Her brother was very happy and that made her happy as well. She had to smile as she had declined to go with him and Caroline to Lime. She did not want to impose on them yet anyway. She knew she would have enough time to bond with her new sister.

Soon her attention though was brought to a barouche that approached Bayshore. She felt her heart stop when she realized it was Alexander. He had kept his promise and had only left his mother in London. Now here he was about to talk to her father. She sighed heavily as she realized that Henry was still here.

Henry had taken the liberty to over welcome his stay by asking to stay longer. Of course her father had agreed and that was the main reason she continued to spend more time in her room and not out walking. Her walks would only get interrupted by her very annoying cousin.

She finally stepped away from her window and made sure she looked appropriate for Alexander. She began to walk down the stairs when she heard her father greet Alexander.

“Why do come in, you have returned quite soon. Do you need to see your sister? Is you mother alright?” Mr. Carter asked as he greeted the guest.

“No sir, my mother could not be in better health than now,” Alexander said as he greeted Mr. Carter. “I actually wanted to request a word with you sir,” he said giving him a friendly smile.

“Oh well come on in lets go to the library then, Lady Sudbury could you get us some tea.” He ordered as he and Alexander vanished into the library.

Julia smiled as she finally made it completely down the stairs and without care walked toward the library. She was curious to hear how Alexander would tell her father about there love. She also feared at what her father would say.

“You do know that hearing others conversation is not very lady like cousin,” Henry said as he spotted her very close to his uncle’s library.

Julia rolled her eyes at him and spoke, “I just happen to be walking through,” she said and curtsied as she walked away. She was mad to have been caught and now she would not be able to hear anything.

She opted to read her favorite Shakespeare book, Romeo and Juliet. But even that did not keep her nerves away she wanted to know what was happening. Would her father accept her choice, Alexander was a very suitable gentleman. Why would he not?

***********

“Please have a seat good sir,” Mr. Carter said as he took a seat as well. “What has you so overwrought my good man?”

“Well Sir,” Alexander commenced as he removed his top hat. “I have a lot that I am going to lay on you sir and I must admit I am a little nervous about it.”

“Oh please Mr. Alexander do not put me at edge… please do tell you are now part of the family.” Mr. Carter said as he glanced at the very nervous man.

“You are right,” Alexander said wiping his forehead with his handkerchief. “I come to ask for Julia’s hand in marriage.” He said in one breath as he looked at the sudden bewildered Mr. Carter.

“I beg your pardon,” Mr. Carter said as his hand went to his chest.

Alexander smiled nervously and cleared his throat again, “I have fallen in love with your daughter sir and I want to make her my wife.”

Mr. Carter began to laugh and then he turned serious, “I have to say this is a surprise…now you must understand I can’t say yes to this request.”

“Why not?” Alexander asked looking at him seriously.

“I have promised my youngest daughter that I would not force her into marriage. I have to say that she must be unconscious to your passion for her sir.”

Alex smiled nervously… “Mr. Carter Julia is very aware of what I am doing at this very moment. She is much in love with me as I am in love with her.”

“Are we talking about the same Julia?” Mr. Carter asked as he eyed Mr. Alexander.

“Yes, we love each other. Now Mr. Carter will you consent my proposal?” Alexander asked in a resolute voice.
Mr. Carter sighed heavily and then smiled, “My god… you are being serious. I have to say I never saw this coming. I cannot deny you such request… you have my consent if I can hear from Julia herself this confession to be true.”

“Shall I go get her?” Alexander said as he stood up.

“No, let me get Lady Sudbury to go get her.” Mr. Carter said eyeing him with a smile playing on his usual serious face.

*******
Chapter End Notes:
SO i have to say that I finally got inspired to write another chapter to this story. Enjoy because the end is soon to come. I hope people are still following this story... Please feedback would be awesome.