- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally the finale... I hope you all like it. I do apologize for the long wait on this one. I also will like to say I am doing another historical one I would love for you to check out as well... :) Again I would love your feedback.

******
The summer of 1823 was the last summer that Manscourt was a happy estate. It was then that misfortune hit Manscourt…

“You have a fever darling,” Alexander told his wife that had not yet gotten up. “I will call upon a doctor… you have been in bed for two days now. I do not like the cough you have.”

“I am fine my husband just a little cold it will pass.” Julia assured her husband who had not left to London to stay with her.

“I will not leave till I am assured you will be fine.” Alexander said as he kissed his wife’s forehead.

Later that day Doctor Price had arrived and after persuasion from lady Julia assured Sir Alexander she was fine.

“I will not be long,” Alexander told lady Sudbury as he prepared to leave in his coach. “Please keep me informed and try to keep my wife in bed.”

“I will sir do not worry…” Lady Sudbury said as she helped him. “In no time she will be out in the garden with your children playing again.”

“I do hope so she makes this place light up,” Alexander said smiling genuinely.

**********

“Miss Julia I think we should call the doctor again,” Lady Sudbury said as she helped young Julia back to bed.

“No, it will go away it always does.” Julia said before she had to cough again. That was what she hated the incessant coughs. Her chest ached from all the coughing.

“At least you shall tell your husband the truth, in his last letter he asked how you felt and you Julia lied to him.”

“I am fine he does not need to leave his duty to come and just watch me cough. He will be back when he is back.” Julia said as she covered her mouth again as she begun to cough. After her coughing fit is that she realized the red liquid on her hand, the metallic taste on her tongue. She gasped a little and then hid her hand so lady Sudbury would not see.

I knew she was hiding something from me though so I still had a doctor called upon. This time when the doctor saw her he asked that her husband come down to Manscourt as fast as he could. I personally sent him a letter urging him to come… it was a two day trip from London to Lime.

“She is very ill and I am afraid I have no cure for what she has.” Doctor Price said in a very worried tone, he had been there on the arrival of Sir McLean and his brother in law Nicholas.

“What is wrong with my wife?” He asked concerned he had been surprised to see how pale she looked and she was delirious from the fever she had.

“I am afraid sir that your wife has contracted Consumption and is in the last stages of that disease. I recommend you take your children away and keep her secluded.”

“No my sister cannot, have consumption…” Nicholas said as he heard the doctor. “I need to see her.”

“I’ll show you her room,” Lady Sudbury said still shocked from what she had heard.

*********

It was like darkness took over Manscourt, Nicholas had taken the children to Bayshore to stay with his wife and mother.

Julia had worsened and her once bright face was pale, she lost conscious a few times. So Mr. McLean did not move not once from her side. “Sir please do go have dinner with your brother and father in law.” Lady Sudbury said as she came into the room with a wet cloth to be put on Julia’s head.

“I shall not move from here…” said he with a tiresome tone. “I want to be with her till her last breath. I am loosing her Miss Sudbury and it is causing much pain to my heart.”

It was the first time I saw him cry with out care that I was in the room. I decided to retrieve and let them be, but that is when my Julia opened her eyes and spoke. “I’m very cold.” She said weakly.

“I will get more wood for the fire place,” Sir Alexander said but instead he stopped when Julia spoke again.

“No do not go yet… I need to speak to you.” Said she between coughs. “I know I am not to live past tonight and only wish to tell you my husband that…” she struggled for breath.

“Please my dear don’t exert yourself by talking I will stay here all the time needed.” Alexander told his wife as he kissed her forehead.

“I must,” she continued as she closed her eyes a little. “I cannot leave this world without letting you know that you have made me the happiest wife and mother. I love you dearly my husband and only wish you to move on. You are young and you shall rally again, I will not hold that against you… just promise me to always take good care of the children. Talk to them about me so they will always know that they had a mother that loved them dearly.” She took a deep breath.

“I will love no other like I love you my Julia.” Alexander said not liking the way his wife spoke.

“Promise me you will move on, you cannot condone yourself to loneliness you deserve happiness, Alexander.” Said she before she went to a heap off coughs that made her cry in pain as she held her chest.

“Get the doctor Lady Sudbury,” Alexander demanded as he aid his wife.

*********

Julia was right she did not make it past that night. Yet she left many good memories to everyone that loved her. She left a special mark though on one good man Sir Alexander McLean who almost lost sanity.

He became very sad and angry as he had witnessed his wife die in his arms. His love for her though made him recuperate in time to claim his children from his brother and sister.

It has been a year since that event and Manscourt has never been let since. I now tend for the children in the house Sir Mclean owns in London. He has not found anyone to take place of Julia and still he puts a plate out for her at dinner.

He tends to his children and has a special spot for his daughter who he claims is the image of Julia.

All there is to say about this story is that love does exist and it can move people. I witnessed such love in my dear Julia and Sir McLean. If only it would have last longer…