- Text Size +
“Do not worry Julia, Howard and Nicholas will meet us at Lady McLean’s home,” Elizabeth told her sister as the both entered the carriage that was sent for them by Miss Caroline.

“I am not worried,” Julia lied as she pinched her cheeks one more time, she wanted to look presentable. “You do know about our brother’s interest in Miss Caroline?”

“Of course I do Julia, it has become very obvious. He does not know how to hide his feelings well, just like mother I suppose.” Elizabeth said as she smiled at her sister. “I have missed you dearly, or more like your insane questions and you silliness.”

“It has come to be very boring at Bayshore I have no one to talk to except for lady Sudbury, but she has come to be a little grumpy. Eliza, have you met Lady McLean, is she as pretty as Miss Caroline?”

“I have seen her once; I could say she must have been quite a beauty in her days. She is very elegant and very joyful, that I can say.” She looked at her sister and smiled, “Will you tell me what is bothering you my dear Julia. You seem to be a little nervous,” she gave her a worried look.

“It is nothing Elizabeth…its just I have to admit and say I am a little nervous to meet her. I mean we have to show her that our brother is worthy of her daughter.” Julia smiled in the inside knowing that would keep her sister from asking more questions it was a really good excuse.

“Oh my, your right Julia we must be in our best lady manners,” Elizabeth said as she looked at what she was wearing it looked suitable enough.

*******

“I am so glad to see you again Miss Julia we have so much to talk about,” Caroline told Julia as she showed her around her home. “This is my favorite part of the house, we have had some wonderful balls in this room,” she told Julia as she twirled around the large room. “It is also French decorated,” she told her as she pointed to the drapes that hung on the large windows.

“Maybe we should have brought Elizabeth with us,” Julia told Caroline as she touched the elegant French drapes.

“Nonsense, mother will entertain her, I wanted to talk to you alone.” Caroline told Julia as she pulled her to the next room, a huge library. “This happens to be my brother’s favorite room, he just loves to read.” She smiled as she saw the look on Julia’s face.

“It’s bigger than ours,” Julia managed to say as she began to look through the many books.

“Do you like to read Miss Julia?” Caroline asked as she grabbed a book and handed it to her.

Julia sighed as she saw the book she handed to her, “Romeo and Juliet? You like it too?”

Caroline giggled, “No it is Alexander’s favorite,” she told her as she got closer to Julia. “You know just like your brother tells you about his love interest, my brother tells me the same…Miss Julia.”

Julia almost dropped the book as she heard Caroline, she knew about Mr. McLean’s proposal in Bayshore. “I…I think that is long gone Miss Caroline, he is no very interested in Miss Pier is he not?”

“I see the rumors fly by fast…my brother can not stand that woman more than I can. They just happen to be old friends of the family nothing more. Yes it has been implied that Miss Pier has such feelings for my brother. But, my brother has been bewitched by you miss Julia. He has told me about certain rumor about you too, he has come to hear of you arranged marriage to Sir Lucas…so his trip to France was to see if you could see Miss Pier as more than a great acquaintance. He wants to forget you…but I know my brother he is a believer in love he will not…you have stolen his heart.” Caroline told her with a smile on her face. She would die before seeing Miss Pier become her sister in law that was for sure, besides Julia she liked.

*******

“Oh, do not worry Ms. Elizabeth Caroline and Julia are having the time of there life. Please sit and have some tea with me while we wait for Mr. Carter and Mr. Dorough. “Oh someone is at the door, Mary get the door will you?” she told the maid.

“That must be my husband and brother?” Elizabeth said standing up in anticipation.

“Well your wrong Miss Elizabeth,” Alexander said as he walked in with a smile on her face. “Hello mother,” he vowed to both ladies and then gave his mother a kiss on the cheek. “Wait this picture seems a little odd, someone is missing? Where’s my adorable sister Caroline?”

“She’s somewhere in the house showing some of our guests around our home.” Denise told her son, “Now come tell me how was Paris? How is Victoria?” she raised her brows toward him.

“Everything is well in Paris and so is Miss Pier, which by the way will be coming here to London soon with her mother to visit you.” Alexander told her anxious mother. “Well excuse me ladies I am going to freshen up after this long trip, I will be back down for dinner,” with that Alexander walked away leaving Elizabeth again stuck with his mother.

*******

“I think we should head down now,” Julia told Caroline as the walked toward the staircase. “I bet my brother and cousin are here by now.”

“Yes your right lets go,” Caroline agreed as they began to walk down the staircase. She stopped dead in her tracks and screamed with excitement, “Brother!” Caroline screamed as she ran down the stairs to her brother.

“Caroline!” Alexander said embracing her sister, they were so busy hugging they did not see when Julia tripped and began to tumble down the stairs. They finally realized it when he heard Julia’s scream.

“Oh my Julia!” Caroline said as she ran to her motionless body. Soon Lady Mclean and Ms. Elizabeth were there and a doctor was called.

Without any struggle Alexander picked up Julia’s frail body and began to take her to a guest room, “get the doctor quick,” he said as he with Caroline’s help put her to rest on the bed. “Nothing can happen to her…” told his sister as he caressed Julia’s face.