- Text Size +

July 9, 2001 Tampa, Florida

Nick pounded his thumb on the ‘7’ button anxiously, ignoring the huff of annoyance from the woman on the lift with him.

“It won’t go any faster if you keep pushing the button,” the annoyed woman pointed out, raising an over-plucked eyebrow in Nick’s direction.

“I’m quite aware of that, thank you,” Nick smiled at the woman falsely before pressing the button a few more times for good measure.

Finally the sliding doors opened and Nick practically ran through them, his sneakers squeaking against the waxed linoleum floors.

He slowed to a speed walk, checking the numbers on the doors as he searched for room 731. As he rounded the corner he saw Tina’s father sitting in a plastic chair in the hallway and he knew he’d found it.

“Did I make it?” he asked, screeching to a halt. The look on the older man’s face made it painfully obvious... that he hadn’t.

“Sorry kid, they couldn’t wait any longer.”

Nick let out a heavy breath, putting his hands on his hips to keep himself from hitting something, “She in there?” he asked, pointing to the door. Tina’s father nodded and Nick pushed the door open, not knowing what to expect on the other side.

He stared for at least a minute and she could tell from the look on his face he wasn’t a happy camper. He looked exhausted in fact, like he hadn’t slept in days.

“You look awful,” she told him, taking in his wrinkled jeans and blotchy face.

“Speak for yourself,” he shot back defensively and Tina just rolled my eyes, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that. I’m just tired; it was a long flight,”

“You did mean it,” she shrugged, “It doesn’t matter. I’m just glad you finally made it. What do you want to do first, tell me why you were in New York when you were supposed to be here or meet your daughter?”

Letting out a steady breath he repeated the last word she had said, “Daughter.”

Tina was certain she saw his face drop as if disappointed by the news, “Was that a yes or were you just trying the word on for size?” she wondered, gazing at him curiously.

“I’ll go tell the nurse to bring her round; it’s almost time for her to eat anyway,” Lynn said, putting her magazine down on the bed tray before heading for the door, “That will give you a chance to get your explanation while you’re waiting.”

After her mother’s exit, Nick walked across the room and took the chair she had just occupied, “When was she born?” he asked and Tina watched him pick at the cuticle on his thumb nervously.

“About an hour after your plane took off,” she admitted, knowing it would just upset him more to know he’d been so close to being here, “I really tried to hold off Nick, I really did. It just got to the point that the doctor wouldn’t wait, he was afraid there would be complications.”

“It’s okay,” he said but she knew he didn’t mean it, “I should have been here. Where’s the boy?”

“He’s back at the house with the babysitter. Why weren’t you?” she had to ask. She had been dying to know ever since her mother spoke to Nick on the phone what had taken him to New York instead of to his family.

Nick finally looked up, and she could see his blue eyes were tinged red, “AJ... he quit.”

“What?!” she sat up straighter in the hospital bed despite the pain it caused, “What happened?”

“He went missing for a couple of days, showed up late to the venue before the show and just told us that he was done. He’s in Arizona, in rehab.”

“I know you said he was drinking a lot more than usual...”

“It was more than that,” Nick interrupted, “It was booze, and drugs, and women. Everything was over the top, and just... too much. He said he couldn’t do it anymore, that he had a problem.”

“And, did he do all of those things alone?” she couldn’t help herself from asking and she saw anger in his face.

“How the fuck would I know who he was doing those things with. It wasn’t with me, okay?”

“Alright,” she conceded, flying the proverbial white flag of surrender, “I’m sorry. I’m still a little hormonal I guess.”

“It’s fine,” he dismissed with a wave of his hand, “So, anyway, AJ jets off to some fancy celebrity rehab centre in Arizona and we get carted off to New York to do press. It was horrible, I haven’t slept, I haven’t eaten more than a pot of coffee and a protein bar from Howie’s bag.”

“I’m sorry,” she said honestly, reaching out to grab his hand which was laying on the edge of the bed, “Want me to send my dad out to get you something to eat? I think the cafeteria downstairs is open.”

“No,” he sighed, squeezing my hand, “I’m gonna go home in a bit, grab a nap, have a shower... answer a million voicemails.”

She pulled her hand out of his quickly; surprised that after everything he’d done to get there he was going to leave so quickly.

“Come on,” he groaned, “Cut me some slack I’ve been through a lot in the last 24 hours.”

“Cry me a river,” she retorted, about to tell him about everything she had been through during that same period of time when the door swung back open and a nurse she’d never seen before came in wheeling a bassinet.

“Hello,” she said cheerfully and neither Nick nor Tina reciprocated the sentiment, “I’m Elyse, your night nurse. So, your chart says that this little beauty is being bottle fed, yes?”

“Yes,” - “No!”

Tina looked at Nick wild eyed, wondering why he would have any opinion at all since he was only concerned with getting home, “Yes! It’s easier this way.”

“It’s not supposed to be easy,” he muttered, “An entire function of your body is set up to do this; I don’t know why you wouldn’t. It’s better for the baby!”

“It’s neither better, nor worse. Each has benefits,” she tried to explain to him without getting in an argument in front of a stranger; “The fact of the matter is that it’s painful, and inconvenient. This way, considering you’ll probably be gone most of the time, my parents will be able to help me out without me having to be up at all hours of the day and night to be fed off of like some cow.”

“Do whatever you want,” he waved her off before crossing his arms across his chest, “It’s not like this is a real relationship where a couple discusses things before they make decisions. I’m sure you’ve already got her named, and have decided what college she’s going to.”

“Stop,” she said firmly, knowing the nurse had to be feeling out of place.

“I have to go,” he said suddenly, practically jumping out of his seat, “I’ll drive the babysitter home.”

“Are you kidding me?” Tina asked rhetorically, watching him run his hand through his hair. She knew he was upset, but wasn’t completely sure why, “you’re not even going to stay and hold your child?”

“Sorry,” was all he said before barrelling out the door.

“Don’t worry,” the nurse tried to console her before putting the small baby into her shaking arms, “He’ll come around. This is really stressful for them too. He’s probably just feeling a little helpless.”

Tina scoffed, “No, you don’t know him. He’s always like this.”