- Text Size +
“I can’t believe you got the license so easily. I think it was all the flirting you did with the poor lady. You had her believing she looked like an exotic woman.” Flor said as she laughed at me.

We were at a restaurant having lunch. “What can I say I have a few hidden talents like wrapping girls around my finger.” I told her as I took a drink of my lemonade.

“Is that how you won my sister? Very cheesy…” she told me as she took a fry in her mouth. She smiled at me as she caught me staring at me, “What?” she asked as she wiped her mouth.

I sighed and shook my head, “It’s just you are identical to…” I stopped myself from saying it and cleared my throat.

“Well we were identical twins but you know the differences… remember when we tried to fool you?” she told me as she continued to enjoy her fries.

I smiled and I wished I did remember that but I wasn’t the real Marc. “So I was thinking about taking the girls to Orlando.” I said changing the conversation because I knew I could not get into details that I didn’t know about.

“Orlando? How you and I both know you can’t afford that.” She told me in a surprised tone. She was right Marc couldn’t afford that but I was Howie and I so could afford it. The girls had grown on me I wouldn’t mind giving them the gift of meeting Mickey and Minnie. Lord knows I will also be paying for there college.

“I won a trip,” I said smiling at her. “I won a week stay at Disney and I want to take the girls. I may never have the money for this so now that I got this I want to do it.” I told her trying to sound convincing.

“Where did you win?” she asked me curiously a smile playing on her lips she was just excited as me to hear that the girls were going to have a dream of theirs come true.

“The other day at the mall just out of boredom I entered the contest and to my surprise won. Want to come?” I asked her and she almost choked on her drink.

“I can’t do that…” she said as she took a fry in her hand. “This is a bonding experience for you and my nieces.”

“I am sure the girls would love to have you there, come on.” I said looking at her with pleading eyes. I was sure once Marc saw how great Flor could be I knew he could come to feel for her something.

“I can’t,” she told me blushing. “I…” she paused and stared at me with a curious smile. “I am afraid of what may occur.”

I looked at her and for the first time I saw something different something that made my stomach churn. I felt my lips go dry, “afraid of what?” I asked her wanting to hear it.

“Marco… I don’t know what made you snap but you have come to be a totally different man the past few weeks. Even your mother has noticed it and the fact that you are talking to me again…I got to know the man my sister fell in love with. And… I now see why.” She told me as her hand reach for mine. She looked at me and I saw her fear.

“Don’t be afraid,” I told her as I squeezed her hand.

“I have to be because I can’t feel what I want to feel for you…it’s not right.” She said standing up from the booth we shared and walked out. I stood up and quickly paid and followed her.

“Flor wait,” I told her as I reached her as she walked to her car. We had used her car a much better car compared to mine. “How do you know it’s not right?” I asked her.

She stared at me and sighed, “Marc you married my sister and even if she is no longer here we always said we would never date someone one of had already dated. Besides I feel it wrong… you need to find some new a fresh start. I the spitting image of your deceased wife Marc.”

She had some sort of a point but it was not completely convincing. I knew why and I was correct but I knew better than to argue with her. Besides why was I trying to convince her to like me if I was not who I was pretending to be. “Let’s forget this conversation happened and go home. I have to pickup the girls.” I told her raising my hands in surrender.

The conversation was not over but first I had some deciphering to do. About Flor and Leigh. I also had to find a way to get days off work without getting fired. I so many things to do and not time it seemed. I guess the normal life I so yearned to be in really doesn’t exist everyone has problems and issues to face.