- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm on a roll here is another chapter. Yay two chapter's at once. I'd love your feedback. :)
I was in bed and I could hear the vibration. Finally I realized it was my cell phone quickly I got if from my hiding place and answered not caring to look at the caller ID. “Hello,” I said groggily.

“Your sleeping?” I heard Leigh ask me. Crap. “Yeah I dosed off I have a little break so I wanted to take a nap.” I told her sighing in relief at my good excuse.

“Well I just wanted to tell you that my sister is very happy that you accepted to go to Valentino’s baptism.” Leigh told me in a very flirty tone. “Beside Mr. Dorough I am going to give the night of your life when you come.” Ok what had I missed.

“Really?” I tried to sound normal. Who the hell was Valentino? I racked my brain and thought through my past conversations with my girlfriend. I was able to sum it up as Leigh’s sister finally popping. She had been pregnant the last time I had seen her.

“You there?” I heard her ask, I cleared my throat.

“Yeah I’m just really tired.” I said yawing. I looked at my watch it was three in the morning.

“OK I’ll let you go.” Leigh said before I heard the smacking noise as she threw me a kiss. I smiled and pretended I was really there with her. Leigh was a good kisser. “Love you see you soon.” She said and I blushed or I knew I had.

“Love you too.” I said quickly hanging up and then I froze had I just told Leigh I loved her? Did I mean it though? I was to tired to debate with myself so I laid back down and made sure I made a mental note for two things. First to call Jared and demand an explanation on this bizarre call and two to decipher what I meant when I told her I loved her. Did I really?

*******

I was nervous as I waited in the boss office. I had been late again this morning and I knew I was going to get lectured. Marc was going to kill me when he saw how many tardies I already had.

“Mr. Flores.” My boss said as he entered with a thick manila folder in hand. He sighed heavily and then gave me a concerned look. “Are you alright?” he asked.

I nodded and smiled, “Yes why?” I asked nervously.

“Well the staff and I have noticed that lately you haven’t been yourself.” Ah crap. Yep this was not good I swallowed hard trying to find a way to beg for them not to fire me. “Marc you’ve been part of this team for over seven years. We know something is wrong and we don’t want whatever that is to ruin you good standards with us. Since you came back from the requested vacation you have not messed up one or two orders. It has been a total of twenty five… that is something that concerns us. I want to help but I can’t if you don’t tell me. So after putting my ass on the grill for you.” He said eyeing me in a fatherly way he spoke again. “I got the big boss to give you a month off. Go fix your stuff, I know you well enough to know something must be wrong with you. The only time you ever acted like this was when your wife passed away. Oh and if you need anything call me you know I will try to help.” He told me standing up.

I was still trying to understand what he was saying. Was he laying me off? “I’m not fired?” I asked out loud.

He chuckled, “No Marc you are on a break, take it like that a break without pay.” He said.

Was this a good thing or a bad thing? I took a deep breath and walked out the office. This was good I didn’t have to worry about asking for time, but I wonder what Marc will say when he finds out.

His boss really does care for him. I left the warehouse in my old car and in a mission to find a place where I could meditate. But first I had to make a call… I got my phone a dialed.

“Hey D.” I heard Jared say as he answered.

“Jared who is Valentino and why did I get a call from Leigh at three in the morning?” I asked all at once.

“Shit.” I heard Jared say. “It’s a long story and I will tell you but your going to have to wait. We have a problem, a puking problem.” Was all I heard before the tone that indicated he had hung up?

Did he just say puking?