- Text Size +
I sighed heavily as I opened the taxi cab in front of the small brick house. I could clearly see that this house was in a desperate need of repairs and then just as I finished paying the taxi cab I heard the scream of two little girls. “Papi,” I heard just before I was bombarded to the ground by both of them. It was a funny yet good feeling… I felt a little tug at my heart as they continued to tell me how much they had missed me. Finally after what seem like forever they both help me up, joking about how I was getting old.

I felt a little elated with this welcoming, I tried to remember Marcos words on how to distinguish the twins. I smiled and ruffled Isabella’s hair I knew that because she was the one with the lighter eyes like green and brown, while Graciela’s was browner. Aside from that small difference they were identical with long brown hair and beautiful smiles.
“Nana made your favorite for dinner,” Garciela said told me as she took my one suitcase away from me to help me.

I had to pause for a second would I be able to fool Mrs. Flores? I mean the little girls I knew I could but how about her? I sighed heavily as we made into the house the smell of homemade food hitting my nostrils. Then out of nowhere came a little Chihuahua jumping to get my attention, “Stop it Chalupa,” Isabella commanded the little tan Chihuahua papi is tired. I remembered Marco telling me about Chalupa, “Hey buddy come here,” I took from Isabella’s arms and carried him in mine.

I heard someone clear there throat I froze as I assumed who it was, “Mama,” I said looking at a petite woman with the most expressional eyes I had ever seen. The smile she had on her face was one of consent like she was glad I had come back in one piece. “Mijo,” she told me as she walked up to me grabbing my face in her hand placing a soft kiss on my forehead. “You look sick and thin what did they have you doing in Michigan? Don’t worry you will be back to normality in no time I made your favorite chicken enchiladas in green salsa,” her eyes sparkled as she told me this.

Food sounded good at that point too even better when I knew it was homemade. “Now go and freshen up take a nap while I finish dinner you can tell us all about your trip at dinner time. “Niņas” go finish fixing your room. I was bewildered by everything as I watched my “daughters” listen to her strict yet sweet voice. Not once did they hesitate or rebuttal her command. Instantly I knew it was a good idea to ask how they had behaved in my absence. “They behaved like angels,” she told me pushing me toward my room.

I knew I wouldn’t have trouble finding my room since this house was a one bath two room house. I entered the room that looked like it hadn't been arranged since his wife had passed away. The room still had that woman touch to it, the picture frame beside the bed on the side table took my attention. It was a picture of Marcos with a woman with green eyes and the most beautiful smile. I knew instantly knew who she was, Rosario his wife. I felt a lump form in my throat, she was young. These kinds of things were the things that made me question god’s motives for our existence. The picture of my sister came to my mind; she also had left us too soon.

*******

“You’ll be fine just remember to wink a lot,” Jared told me as I walked into the room where the rest of group stood waiting for me or so I thought. It turned out that usually I was the early one.

“I can do this right and you will stay by my side right?” I asked him nervously clearing my throat.

He stared at me and gave me a reassuring smile, “You have nothing to worry about Marc- I mean Howie the only thing you have changed that will shock the guys is your hair since it didn’t grow much in those few weeks. Just breathe I’ll be here as much as possible I do have to protect you know. You are now a very famous person you know.”

“Do you think I got the singing part though I mean the closest I have come to singing is karaoke night at a bar,” I was nervous and regretting my decision to be someone else. I just had so many reasons why I shouldn’t do it but then I needed the money. Then there was the curiosity to see for myself what it was to be famous. I already missed my two babies so much. It was too late turn back though I knew that and I couldn’t say more soon we were joined by a short man with a southern accent. I heard Jared whisper Brian into my ear. “Brian hey how was your break?”

“He D good I spent it with the family you know, I am ready to sing my lungs out. So Nick, AJ and Kevin still not here?” He asked me with the silliest face I had seen. I remembered Howie warning me about him and Nick. They were pranksters, so I had to keep my guard up. I was about to answer when a tall man came in answering the question. “Nope I’ve been here for a while now but since you guys weren’t here yet I went for a drink,” he flashed his water to them.

I knew him I remembered Howie mention him a lot, “Kevin how are you man?” I asked. He looked at for an instant and then he gave me a face… “What happened to your hair? I thought you liked the long hair?” I smiled subtly trying to play it smooth. “I wanted a new change,” I said winking. I laughed when he told me that I should change the winking instead.

“Don’t worry I am here no need to cry,” a blonde tall man said running inside hugging Brian tightly. I knew exactly who he was the other prankster Nick. “D,” he said with an amused smile, “like the hair,” he told me. I was startled by the next voice I heard, “whose hair?” the raspy voice asked. I knew he had to be AJ I had seen the pictures but with the nervousness I had to really try hard to remember. “Mine,” I said giving him a smile.

The meeting was standard more about the business than the entertaining part. I was walking toward my room ready to call it a day and just try to practice on my vocals when I heard Nick call me. “Howie wait up lets go out tonight before we head overseas last night in LA.” I wanted to say no but the look on Jared’s face told me Howie never turned down a party. “Let me get dressed into something more appropriate.” I told him giving him a smile.

“Cool I’ll wait for you down in the lobby.” He told me leaving me standing in the hallway. I felt Jared’s hand on my shoulder, “You see they didn’t notice anything, you are Howie now,” he told me.