- Text Size +
During dinner I learned that “my mother” was a superb cook. No wonder the enchiladas were Marcos favorite who wouldn’t like them? I learned that tomorrow I would be stuck with my sister in law since mother would be out doing her errands. I would also be going to church at noon, hmm church I can’t believe its been a long time since I have been to one. Not much time when you have events to attend as a Backstreet boy. I just hoped I did well and not mess up in anyway. I watched as my mother left the driveway in her Buick, she could definitely use a new car I thought as I watched disappear.

“Papi can we go play in the back? We finished painting our tree house… white.” I heard Graciela say. “Yes that’s fine but just for a while I told them both as I looked at my watch. I saw them run inside and out the back door; I was left with a small empty house to browse. I started in the living room taking my time looking at all the pictures on the wall. Most were of the girls and Marcos parents. The TV was something else no cable or DISH just whatever the old antenna could get. I turned the TV off after not finding anything to catch my interest. I was startled when in came “my daughters” run in and through themselves on my lap, “Papi we want ice cream,” they both chimed.

“Ice cream?” I said in a questionable tone. If I would have known then that chocolate ice made them go crazy I would’ve said no, but I was trying to be a good dad. We climbed into my car not a nice one by the way an 90 Oldsmobile cutlass with a desperate need of a paint job…well more like it needed to be put to rest. I had to admit at first I felt a little embarrassed imagine me being seen in this car? Then I realized I wasn’t me I was Marcos Flores and he drove this car because that was what he could afford. We found a grocery store and to my surprise they didn’t go crazy asking for all sorts of things. I actually felt sad when Isabella told me, “I know Papi just one thing… we need the money for more important things.” How could kids that age already know about the struggles in life? I realized that she was being sincere though and she was looking out for me her dad. “Soon,” told her as I swallowed hard… “I will surprise you both with the best present any kid could want,” I told giving them a mischievous smile.

We bought Blue Bell chocolate ice cream and ate as we watched the Little Mermaid the twin’s favorite. I really never had the time to see that movie I mean I am a man, but now that I had seen it wasn’t so bad. Finally I decided that it way past there bed time…it was ten thirty. “No papi we want to play hide and seek,” with that phrase they scrammed out of my sight and I knew I had no choice but to search for them. For a small house there were apparently many places for six year old twins to hide. I was exhausted and was about to loose my temper, I was suppose to have a normal life. At that moment it didn’t feel normal I was still up when I was supposed to be asleep.

Finally I gave up and screamed to them to come out. “I’m giving up,” I yelled, “you’re too good at this for dad’s own good.” I yawned as I finished and out the both came from there hiding places. “I’m too tired tonight, how about we go to bed?” I told them as they looked at me with disappointment. “Ok,” they both echoed as they followed me to my room. I was already lying on my bed when I realized they were standing in my room watching me oddly. “What?” I asked them sitting up. “We need your help brushing our teeth and getting out pajamas duh,” Gracie told me with a little attitude. I didn’t know that…now I knew. “Sorry toots dad is a little off today from the flight,” I lied as I got off my bed and followed them to the restroom where they showed me the nightly routine.

I woke up at the sound of a book hitting the floor, that’s when I realized I was still in the rocking chair inside the girl’s room. They were fast asleep each in there bed, last thing I had remembered was me reading to them. I yawned and stood up to go to my bed… I didn’t bother to change, I just crashed in and soon left the world of the living and joined the dream world…

****

I was in the middle of a good dream actually, when I felt some curl up beside me on each side. I shook awake and saw both my daughters smiling at me as they rested there head on each side of my arms. “Good morning,” they both said to me. “You never slept so much before Papi,” Gracie told me as she looked out the window. The sun was out and it was bright, “what time is it?” I asked. “Well,” Isabella said, “Not early daddy cause Aunt Flor is here and cooking for us.” I sat up at that announcement. “How did she get in?” I asked wiping the sleep out of my eyes. “Are you ok Papi? You are acting different? Aunt Flor has a key to the house. She told us not to wake you but we got worried. You never sleep so much,” Graciela said while Isabella agreed by nodding.

I hadn't been here a whole two days and I was already screwing up. I cleared my throat and gave them a smile, “I am not feeling well, I think I may be getting sick.” I told him finally getting off the bed and going for the suitcase that still stood unpacked on the floor. “Now go I’ll be out in a few minutes,” they did listen and left as soon as they were out I opened my suitcase looking for a smaller carry on bag with my cell phone among other things. I debated on calling Jared but it just didn’t seem right for me to be the first calling about my suspicion that “my daughters” knew something was up. I always thought Jared or Marcos would be the first to call. I put the phone back in bag and then I looked around my room to find a safe place to hide it.

Several minutes later I immerged showered and prepared to explain myself to Flor if I had to. “Buenos Dias,” She told me as she saw from the kitchen door. I smiled at her and then I spoke, “Buenos Dias,” the smell of food hit my nose and my stomach growled. I was about to thank her for coming when she interrupted me by gesturing me to go sit on the table where a plate of food already awaited for me. “Come on or we will be late for church,” she told me smiling. Mrs. Flores told me you were tired from the trip so I let it slip that my nieces weren’t fed and dressed in there Sunday best yet. She winked at me as she placed a glass of orange juice on the table. “Do you think I can take the girls out with me after church you know go put some flowers on Rosario’s…” she stopped talking and then changed her conversation, “I want to have a girls day out with them.”

I knew what she was avoiding and then it hit me; Marcos probably didn’t like Rosario to be mentioned around him. Yet I still couldn’t help myself and I asked, “Can I go with you all to see Rosario? Then you can take them out,” I saw the look of surprise on Flor’s face. “I know…” I told her. “I – you haven’t been there since she was…” she again couldn’t talk. “Well think it’s about time I do,” told her not looking at her instead concentrating on the food. I was doing a good thing right?