- Text Size +
I turned off the engine to my vehicle and walked back to where I had been just an hour ago. Her headstone seemed to call me and there I was again, the flowers that we had just left still looked good among the heat. I squatted and sighed as I read her headstone again, Rosario Flores. I didn’t realize I was crying till I felt a tear drop roll down my face to my hand, I wasn’t crying for her really it was that this reminded me of my sister. I had been so busy with my career I never really mourned my sister and now I had finally broken down. I felt a little relief as I cried, I could cry for once and knew there wouldn’t be a picture of me crying on a magazine or website. This was helping me get over my own little demons I guess and I made myself a promise to visit my own sister’s grave once I was Howie again.

I can’t really say how long I stayed there but I was startled out of my trance with the sudden vibration of my phone. A phone that only three people knew about Jared, Marco and Leigh, I sighed as I saw her name appear on the phone. I was hesitant to answer but I had too I mean I hadn't even told Marco about her. I knew that was a risk but I knew Leigh enough to know she wouldn’t just come up to me or should I say Marco and kiss him. Our relationship was more complex than that and we both were ok with it at the moment. “Hey,” I said smiling as a picture of her filled my memory.

I talked to her for a good thirty minutes in which I explained that I was too busy to go out with her in Europe when she joined the crew there. I also had to explain why I had changed my phone number well actually why I wanted her to only call this number. See Leigh knew me, the real me what was inside of me we have this connection, I can’t explain it. But I had the feeling that if she met the Howie that was out there pretending to be me she would know something was up. I would tell her eventually though; I knew I cared enough for her that I would want her to know.

I had finally left the cemetery and after debating on what was on my mind I rounded the closest bank without anymore hesitation I took out my card. The ATM machine was empty no one around I sighed with relief knowing that way I wouldn’t have a chance to get second thoughts. I quickly entered my pin and took out the amount I wanted; I then left and went straight to nearest Toy store. I felt retched after my break down today and if it had bugged me so much it was hurting me to think how the girls felt. Growing up without there mother, yet they seemed not to complain. I wanted to comfort them for just an instant at least, I went crazy buying them each a doll and things for there tree house. I was going to have to explain myself for sure the twins weren’t as naīve as I thought. But I just had to do something for them; I knew if Marcos had the money to do it himself he would.

I got home and found that Flor was still not home with “my girls” so I put on an effort and tried to make dinner. I did have help from a cook book but making spaghetti had still been hard. The meat balls weren’t so round and the pasta had been a little over cooked because it felt like rubber. But for my first cooked meal without any help I had done a good job. I smiled as heard my daughter’s giggles as they walked into the house. “Papi?” they both yelled. “I’m in the kitchen,” I answered as I finished cleaning the dishes I had in the sink. I had a lot of difficulty not using every container and pot I could find so let’s just leave at that. I smiled as I turned to find them both startled and surprised just like Flor who had her brow raised. “What?”

“I thought your mother had left food for you ready to just be heated,” Flor said as moved toward me with a small smile on her face. “I know but I wanted to do something special for the girls and me,” I lied I didn’t know that my mother did that for me. She chuckled as she saw the contents I had cooked. “Ok what is going on Marcos?” she asked me eyeing me with a smirk. I shrugged trying to give me time to come up with a good excuse. “I need to change and be more attentive to my daughters at home not only try to be there for them economically.”

She didn’t tell me anything else it was she understood me. Flor had stayed for dinner and she did compliment my spaghetti as not bad for my first cooked meal ever. After that she witnessed my presents for the girls who were elated, they had bombarded me to the floor again hugging like crazy. I was surprised she didn’t say anything then. She just watched as she sat in the small couch in the living room. “Niņas time for bed,” she had finally said after watching us on the floor in a war of tickles. I had to chuckle as I saw the pleading eyes from both my daughters to say otherwise but I nodded and agreed with my sister in law.

“Alright quit the begging you two have school tomorrow and your dad has work so no more playing for tonight,” I watched her say as she helped into there pajamas. Ten minutes later she was back in the living where I still sat just looking at the TV blankly. I turned to look at her as she took a seat next to me, “No se que traes Marcos but, I am glad you’re finally moving on Rosario would want that from you.” I understood her Spanish fine and she was right I was definitely doing something that the real Marcos wouldn’t have done. We sat in silence for a little while longer; I didn’t know what to tell her. “Thank you for helping today,” I told her. I felt her hand pat my shoulder and then she spoke again. “I love those girls Marcos I will always be here for them you should know that. I better go… get some sleep you have work tomorrow.” I nodded and stared at her and for the first time since she had arrived I saw the similar ties between her and Rosario. They were twins…it had finally sunk in.

I walked her to her car and thanked her again. She finally stopped and turned to me kissing my cheek, “I know you loved Rosario a lot but what you did today was great Marcos its time to let her go, I am here if you need me ok?” that was the last thing I heard before she was speeding away from my house. I knew I was altering Marcos life but it was a good choice and he needed it. I was doing to improve his life, just by the two days I had spent in his life I already knew he was still too hung to his dead wife, six years to be exact. There was nothing wrong with that but he needed to move on.

That night I tossed thinking how I would make through the next day. I had to show up to a warehouse and make sure to have the entire inventory counted for. Inventory it couldn’t be hard right? I had a quick run through with Marcos at the hotel but now I would face it in reality, no drawing but the real thing.

I couldn’t stress anymore on my day tomorrow so I took out my cell phone and dialed the familiar number. “Marcos? Can you talk?” I asked with joy as he answered. I was now preparing to ask him how he was handling China. Or how he was handling the traveling? I felt disappointed when he told me he was busy at the moment and he would call me back. I suddenly felt a little tug at my heart... but it wasn’t because I missed my life right?