- Text Size +
I officially hate my job. How can people do that all day? Suddenly I yearned to have a mic in hand ready to sing to many girls all swooning for me. It had been a week of torture, I knew I was being looked at weird by my coworkers who could not understand how I could have gotten the inventories all mixed up.

My manager had even asked me if I was feeling well. I had nodded and said yes but he still told me to Monday and Tuesday from next week off. He told me that maybe it was my lack of vacationing that had me like that, that my brain was probably in vacation mode or that I had caught some sort of virus. How embarrassing this was, I was sure Marc was not going to like this report.

“Marc?” Flor repeated my name. I shook away my thoughts bringing the fork full of pancakes to my mouth. I only looked at her and she gave me a smile. “Are you ok? You seem a little off.” I swallowed my food and nodded.

“Yeah I am fine just a little tired,” I lied and then I went back to eating. I stared at the girls they didn’t look too happy. “Ok what’s wrong with you two.” I asked them as they continued to poke at there food.

“We wanted to go the park later but aunt Flor said we couldn’t go because we had to go to our catechism classes. We hate catechism classes.” They said in unison I sort of shook with surprise. “Daddy can we miss our class just for today?” they asked me giving me the cutest sad puppy face look.

I looked at Flor who looked at me with a look that said I better not agree. But who was I kidding I was catholic and unfortunately I never went to those classes and I turned out fine I was sure one day that they missed wouldn’t hurt them. “Hmm…” I told them teasing them and getting a glare from my sister in law.

“Ok I will make you a deal,” I told them as I smiled at them. “You will go to church today and really say all your Hail Mary’s and of course promise to go bed early so you won’t be late for school tomorrow and I will let you all miss one day of your classes.”

“Deal,” they both told me as they got off there chairs and went to hug me; they kissed me too jumping with excitement. Kids weren’t so bad after all they were actually quite refreshing in some way I guess in the new perspective I had about them. I laughed as they began to practice there Hail Mary’s as they left to get ready for church. Sunday was getting easy for me to adjust to; it was always the day we went to church. I guess in a way I was starting to feel even more connected to god.

“Your spoiling them too much,” Flor told me but the smile on her face told me she really wasn’t mad. “But I do have to agree Catechism classes are boring… I was so glad when my first communion was over… I never again went to one of those classes after that.” I chuckled at her.

“Marc,” she said after a little moment of silence. I looked up at her and she was sort of smiling again. “I was thinking, its been a while since you have been on a date… if you want I can take the girls today and you should go out to a bar or something.”

I smiled and in my head that sounded about right but then I stared at her. I didn’t want to I actually liked hanging around her and the girls every Sunday. Even if I didn’t know much about her personal life I had a feeling she was single too.

Flor was growing on me and as I stared at her I realized she was growing on me in other ways too. I just knew that wasn’t right though because I had Leigh and she was very special to me. But Flor there was something about her and as I stared at her I thought about it and sort of dealt with my new feelings as me acting as Marc. That Marc would be happy if he saw Flor as more than his dead wife’s sister. I really hadn’t convinced myself entirely but for that moment that sufficed.

“I like hanging around with the girls… Sunday is family day. I am keeping it like that,” I told her. She shrugged a little and went back to her plate.

“Hey Flor?” I said looking at her again she had just put a fork full of egg in her mouth.

“Yeah,” she said after a few seconds.

“I lost my driver license… I got stopped the other day and well the officer wasn’t to happy about that. Do you think you could go with me tomorrow to get a new one?” I asked her not because I had a feeling I couldn’t do it on my own, I just still needed help finding places. I was sure the DPS was on that list of places I would have trouble finding. “I mean if you can if not I can ask mom.” I said when she looked at me curiously.

“Really you want me too?” She asked me a little shocked. I nodded.

“Why?” I finally asked when she continued to eye me surprised.

“It’s just you didn’t even want to see me on Sundays. It took you almost six months to allow me to come into the house to see the girls. Let alone be here for more than a couple of hours. Finally your mom made this compromise about the Sundays.” She told me smiling at me as she reached her hand across the table and took one of mine. “I am glad you are finally moving on my sister would love that.”

I gave her a smile while in my head I began to realize that Marc was one tormented soul. But I could see why Flor was identical to his wife. Maybe this was a bad idea… but as I felt her hand on mine I forgot all about that and I just seemed to stare at her hand as it caressed mine…

“I will gladly go with you tomorrow I’ll pick up around ten is that good?” she asked me as her hand continued to lay on top of mine.

“Yeah that sounds good,” I said nervously still just thinking of her touch on my hand.
Chapter End Notes:
I haven't forgot about this story it's just one of my harder ones to write but here is a new chapter enjoy and let me know what you think. :)