- Text Size +
Chapter 1

I sighed, glancing over at her as she held up her hands. She shrugged, trying to offer that as an apology, but I knew it wasn’t her fault that I was frustrated. Actually, I really couldn’t pin point where to lay the blame for that one.

“Theresa…”

“Steph, I know what I’m doing. Both my husband and I are Captains. He’s a naval aviator, I’m in the Air Force, both of us are beyond successful in our careers. Both of us are trained to die for our country. Both of us have seen combat. We’re both smart people and yet, neither one of us can get over this hump.”

“How long have you and Kevin been married?” I glanced down at my wedding band, fiddling with it before answering her question.

“Um, seven years, this upcoming September actually.”

“So, you’ve gotten past the newlywed stage, and now you’re getting into that comfortable zone. It happens.”

“But it’s never been like that.” I shook my head, pushing myself away from the counter. “It’s obviously something I need to discuss with him. I just hope I don’t go snapping any more heads off. I could get fired.” I walked out with the woman standing next to me, her laughter ringing in my ears.

-----
His green eyes blazed with anger as he stared at the files that was sent to his computer. Nothing was adding up, his department was short and he would be the one to pay for this mistake if he couldn’t figure out what the hell happened. And that old saying that shit rolled down hill was only the first of many things that would happen if he figured this one error out. Someone, other than him, was going to pay. He growled, his fingers slamming through his hair as he pulled up an open document, slowly typing the notes that was on his desk. His head snapped up as someone timidly knocked his door.

“Come in,” he barked. The person visibly winced and slowly pushed the door open, her head poking inside.

“I’m sorry sir, but a Brian Littrell is on line 1 and your wife is on line 2. I buzzed but you were...” His hand lifted and waved.

“Sorry, I was busy. Tell my wife I’ll call her right back.” The girl bobbed her head before shutting the door. Kevin pinched the bridge of his nose as he grabbed up the phone. “Richardson here.”

“Hey man, don’t kill me with that tone.”

“Brian, sorry. Just…”

“Stressed, busy, over worked and under loved?”

“Ha, man you’re not funny. What can I do for you, cos?”

“First of all, if you’re not loving that little wife of yours, you can send her my way.” Kevin’s hands gripped his phone, his knuckles turning white. And he knew he shouldn’t get pissed at his cousin, Brian didn’t know what was going on. In fact, Kevin should have been used to that from him. But, it got under his skin when he knew that his love life with his wife just wasn’t up to par recently. “Kev?”

“Sorry, I’m…”

“You sound like you need to talk man. Is everything alright?”

“Let’s leave it that it could be better. But, I don’t have time to get into it right now. You called for a reason?”

“I’m engaged and I wanted you to meet her. Shelly and I are flying out to LA this Friday to pick up some things and I was hoping the four of us could have dinner.”

“You know what Bri, that sounds great. I’m sure Theresa would love it. In fact, why not come on over to our house, we can make dinner.”

“Oh no, please tell me you two are splitting up and have no money left that you can’t afford some dinner?”

“No, nothing to that extreme. But, there are some marital problems that I need advice on.”