- Text Size +
Chapter 2
I picked up my phone, not even glancing at the caller ID, holding it between my ear and my shoulder.

“Lambe.”

“I hate that.” I sat my chair back down, sitting upright.

“The fact that I can’t change my last name because I was in the service before I got married?”

“Yes. By law you’re Richardson.” I smiled, chuckled even.

“You’re right honey, I am. And I’m sorry. You’re aware of the rules such as I. So, tell me, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

“You called me first; I was only returning your phone call.” I paused, glanced up at the clock and frowned.

“Oh, yeah, don’t worry about it, it’s no biggie.”

“You’re work days are like mine Theresa, hectic. You don’t get a moment to call just to call. What’s on that lovely little mind?”

“Nothing honey. It’s too late anyway.” Kevin ground his teeth and either I knew him too well for I knew he did it. Or he did it loud enough for me to hear.

“Theresa…”

“I was going to suggest going to dinner at Valentino’s. Quiet, candlelight dinner. But it’s too late. I couldn’t possibly get a reservation this late in the day. So, don’t worry about it honey.” Kevin sighed, his head resting on the back of his chair. Damn it, he knew he should have called her back earlier. But the hours flew by and before he knew it, it was pushing four and he still hadn’t returned her call.

“How about I call and we can make it for tomorrow?”

“I can’t Kevin. I have a meeting tomorrow and won’t be home till after seven. You know that.” He glanced at his calendar, seeing the red mark there from her pen.

“That’s right. Well…”

“It’s okay. I’m sorry, Kevin, I got a lot of stuff to do. I’ll be lucky if I’m out of here by six tonight. I’ll call you when I’m on my way home.”

“You want to stop by my office? I’ll doubt I’ll be done with my stuff by six.” I hesitated, not really wanting to say yes, but not really wanting to say no.

“Yeah, I can do that. Maybe pick up something?”

“Perfect. Than I’ll see you later.”

“Yup. Bye Kevin.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too.” With that, I hung up my phone. I ran my hands over my face, shaking my head, knowing that Kevin wasn’t aware that I was irked. Or if he even cared. Or…if he was smart, he would have guessed it. The pet names always leave and Kevin comes into full usage when I’m pissed off at him. It’s something he picked up on early on in our relationship. I shook my head again, trying to focus on the swimming numbers before me.

-----
I walked down the hall way, my heels sinking into the carpet, making no sound as I made my way to his office, my heart pounding. I walked through his doorway, clearing my throat, causing the couple who was staring at the computer screen to jump.

“Mrs. Richardson…” ‘The little woman currently at his side looked scared, why ever would that be?’ I questioned to myself.

“Hi Letty. Kevin making you work late?”

“We were having a problem and he needed my help, ma’am.” I shrugged and smiled, sitting across from Kevin.

“I understand. Are you hungry Letty? I got enough food,” I offered, holding up the bag.

“No, thank you though. I must be going. Goodnight Mrs. Richardson, good night sir.” She quickly smiled as she walked out the door, closing it behind her.

“Hey sweetheart,” Kevin stand, standing up and walking over to kiss me gently.

“Hey. Rough day?” I asked, pulling out the containers of Chinese food.

“Yes. And long. And I’m not done yet.”

“Honestly didn’t think you would be done, not by the sounds on the telephone.”

“Honey, I am sorry about earlier and dinner…” I held up my hand and forced a smile on my lips.

“Kev, you’re a busy man. I can understand that. I knew what I was marrying into.” His hand grabbed mine, his fingers inter lacing with mine, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“I talked to my cousin today. Him, and his fiancé, are flying out this Friday. He wanted to know if we wanted to do dinner.” I paused taking a bite of my food to watch him.

“And?”

“And..I said it was okay. So, I’m making reservations for the four of us.” I nodded my head, setting my fork down. I wish I could explain the anger that was coursing through me, but I couldn’t. And I loved Brian; he was a great guy and always made me laugh! And was great with the guys he coached too. I sighed and started putting my food away. “What is it honey?”

“Nothing babe. Just not hungry anymore.” I got up and walked over to the window, looking out over the water, sighing mentally to myself.

“I know you. You don’t like that thought. But you like Brian, so what’s the deal?” His arms slipped around my waist and I realized that this had actually been the most intimate contact we’ve had in weeks.

“I don’t know Kev. I guess I feel like something is missing in our marriage and I supposed I was planning a romantic weekend. I don’t know, I…”

“Shh, actually, I understand. I have to admit, something feels like it fell off track, right?” I leaned back against him, nodding slightly.

“And we’ve only been married a hand full of years. We shouldn’t be having this problem.” He chuckled and I could feel the vibration.

“Honey, I honestly don’t think time matters. But, actually, a romantic weekend sounds wonderful. We can start it after dinner.” I frowned, tuning in his embrace to look up at him.

“Kevin, when Brian is around, you two can talk for hours! I know it’s a no go this weekend. And that’s okay baby.”

“You’ll see, I’ll make it work somehow.” I watched him for a few moments, feeling all kinds of emotions deep inside and the first and foremost was anger!