- Text Size +
Valerie had just finished smoking when she felt her phone vibrate; she smiled as she saw who it was. “Hello?” she said flirtingly.

“I’ve missed you,” AJ told Valerie as he heard her greet him. “It’s been exactly four days since our date and I have not seen you. I miss you…when can we see each other?” he asked her.

She was smiling like crazy she knew that, “I’m sorry it’s just been a very stressing week for me. Dr. Sander’s has my ass working like crazy, I’m not complaining. I am learning a lot…I actually have to study for a test she is giving Monday. Then yesterday I spent the whole damn day with Leigh and Sandy looking for THE DRESS!” she emphasized the last part of her sentence.

AJ chuckled and had to ask, “Well did she find it?”

“Yes finally way out of her budget but she called Javier up and he agreed on her getting it. I am happy she did though, she leaves tomorrow morning. You are going to the good bye dinner Leigh is throwing her right?” she asked more because she actually missed him too and it would be nice to see him.

“Yeah I am, I am in charge of dessert.” He told her, “I also need to see you.”

“Yeah we can sneak somewhere and make out.” She said giggling into the phone.

“I like the way you think…Or you could always tell everyone about us and make out in front of them.” He winced hoping he hadn't pulled the wrong cord with his comment.

She chuckled, “I could but I’m not ready…besides its so much better when you feel the rush of nerves because you know that if you get caught you’re going to shock everyone.”

“Yeah I guess, so since Sandy is leaving does that mean I can go over again and stay over?” he asked her.

“Yes you can do that tomorrow night you can help me study.” She said excitedly.

AJ chuckled, “I think you are the only one excited about that. But I will help with as much as I can…even if I don’t know shit about doctor’s and stuff.”

“Hey AJ I have to run, still here working my fat ass. I think I am needed, but I will see you tonight ok?” she asked.

“Yeah ok by beautiful see you later.” AJ managed to say and heard her giggle at his comment.

**********

“Come on Val we are running late,” Sandy yelled from the living room.

“I’m going hold your horse’s woman!” Valerie yelled from her room. She wanted to look extra good tonight. She hadn't seen AJ in a few days so she wanted to a least look good for him tonight.

“About time,” Sandy said staring at her sister. “Like the jeans makes your ass stand out,” Sandy said slapping her sister’s butt.

“Hey!” Valerie said pointing at her, “Don’t start I could point out some of your imperfections,” she laughed.

“Yeah whatever,” Sandy said rolling her eyes. “Since when did you start dressing more feminine? No offense it makes you look nice, hot.”

“Not you too,” Val said pushing her sister out of the apartment and into the elevators.

“See I’m not the only one that thinks like that…who told you this?” she asked her.

Valerie was startled realizing she had done wrong in saying what she had, “I uh…well uh Howie and then some of my co-workers are telling me too.” She managed to say giving her sister a smile.

“See…You are pretty Val and now that you are loosing more weight it’s getting more noticeable. Imagine if Raul saw you now…”

“I am so over Raul, he is a piece of shit that treated his carpet better than me. Damn him he also made me start smoking,” Valerie said remember her college boyfriend. A very manipulating man that made her think he was the only person that would ever like her as a woman.

“Well like I told you when I arrived he’s looking for you. I think he wants you back…he had daddy almost believe he had changed. I think he realized just how much you actually did for him, for crying out loud you did his school work. Just so he could party and then take credit on your work. Bastard!” Sandy said getting mad remembering all the times she would stay awake talking to Val about that good for nothing brute.

*********

AJ had arrived quite early not his normal doing, “Man I really should take this day and memorialize it…” Howie said as he took a seat next to AJ. “You being so early that you beat everyone else, did you wake up on the right side of the bed today?”

“Come on Howie,” AJ said rubbing the back of his neck. He didn’t know how long he could keep the truth from coming out of his mouth. Chris had been sworn into secrecy but he wasn’t the problem, he was. “I just wanted to be here on time and help out.”

“Howie leave AJ alone if not he will never try to be early for anything. I mean look at the way you are making him feel?” Leigh said as he came in with baby James in her arms. She smiled as she heard the door bell.

“I’ll get it,” AJ said standing up. “I mean since you two are busy.”

“Ok? Go!” Howie said eyeing AJ. If he knew him well something was going on with him and he wasn’t going to stop till he found out.

“AJ you’re here already?” asked Nick as he came in with the same girl from the club.

“Not you too,” AJ said hugging Nick. “Melissa right?” AJ asked the young girl who seemed to be a little nervous.

“Yeah that’s right,” Melissa said shaking his hand.

“Go right ahead Howie and Leigh are waiting.” AJ told them as he let them in. He watched them walk away and then turned just in time to see Sandy and Valerie get out of a cab. He wanted to run and hug Val but he knew he couldn’t, “hey you finally made it,” AJ said hugging Sandy.

“Hey AJ,” Sandy said hugging him back. “It’s nice seeing you…”

“Same here go right in Howie is waiting on you.” AJ told Sandy as she walked in. He turned to see Val standing there with a small smile on her face.

“Hi AJ,” she said softly when inside she was screaming to be in his arms, his lips on hers.

“Hey Val,” he said slowly going in for a hug. He closed his eyes as he hugged her and before he let her go he whispered in her ear, “You look beautiful.”

“Not bad yourself,” she whispered back and quickly pulled away when she saw Howie coming. “Howie,” she said and went up to him giving him a hug.

“Hey Val…Wow you’ve lost some weight quite rapidly. You do know you still have months for Sandy’s wedding?” Howie said looking at her carefully.

“No I am still pretty fat Howie you’re just seeing things. We really haven’t seen each other lately that’s all.” She told him nervously walking away before he could say anything else.

*********

“I need a smoke,” Valerie said pushing her almost untouched plate of food. “I’ll just take walk in the back,” she told Howie as she grabbed her purse.

“Hang on Val,” AJ said clearing his throat, “I’ll go with you I need one too,” he said happy she had such a brilliant idea.

“Ok,” Valerie said and stopped waiting for him. They walked out the sliding doors into the gazebo in the back. “It’s a nice night isn’t it?” she asked as she dug for her cigarettes.

“Yeah,” AJ said wrapping an arm around her waist. “I am glad we both have this horrible habit,” he said kissing her cheek and then down her neck.

“I was hoping you would come,” Valerie told him as she turned around and kissed him on the mouth. “Wait we should walk further down there it’s a little darker,” she said taking his hand and pulling him toward the orange tree in the back yard.

AJ gladly followed her, “Hi,” he told her as he faced her. He closed the space between them, “I think its time I greet my girlfriend the right way,” he said inching his mouth to hers.

Valerie felt like butter to heat as he took her mouth with his, she suddenly forgot all about the nicotine urge she had and AJ’s kisses were enough. “Wow,” she said as she broke the kiss to breathe.

“I need to see you more often Val,” AJ said caressing her cheek. “We need to make some arrangements don’t you think?”

“Yes and we will tomorrow night when you go over,” she told him. “Now lets smoke so we can head back in if not they will come looking for us.”

*********

“That was nice of Howie right?” Sandy asked Valerie as they walked into the apartment. “Val?” she asked realizing Valerie was not there or at least her mind wasn’t.

“Huh?” I’m sorry I was just thinking. I have so much in my head.”

“I said it was nice of Howie to have done this for me,” she repeated.

“Yeah it was,” Val said as she plopped on the couch. All she kept thinking about was the kiss and AJ calling her his girlfriend. She knew they were dating but neither had called each other that. She smiled as she repeated it her head, she was AJ’s girlfriend. She was startled by the pillow that hit her in the face, “what the fuck,” she said throwing it back at her sister. “What was that for?”

“Well you keep ignoring me…” Sandy said, “I leave tomorrow at least try to be interested in my conversation till then.”

“Awe I’m sorry sis I just have this major test I need to study for,” Valerie said standing up where she sat and going to sit on her sister’s lap. “You know I love you…” she kissed her cheek.

“Yeah sure you do,” Sandy said pushing her off playfully. “Come let’s head to bed I have a long morning tomorrow. I hate airports,” she said as she began to walk to the guest room.

“Ok night Sandy,” Val said as she watched her sister disappear. She sighed and was about to go her room when she felt her phone vibrate, she smiled as she read the text message. Yes she typed back instructing AJ to be extra quiet so Sandy wouldn’t here him come in.