- Text Size +
“Shit,” Valerie said as she dragged herself off bed. “I need a shower,” she told herself as she grabbed what she needed for the shower. She was about to head into the shower when a knock on the door stopped her. “Coming,” she said as she walked toward the door.

“Good morning? How are you feeling?” Howie asked as he gave her a funny look. “Man Val you look like crap!”

“Geez thanks buddy,” she told him allowing him to enter the room. “I was just about to go shower, I need to start my moving ordeal.” She said as she yawned again.

“So are you going to share with me who you went out with yesterday? You were a bit drunk and all I heard was Dr. Bates likes me…” he said rubbing the back of his neck.

She covered her face with embarrassment as she heard him, “Yeah that was just bullshit I say when I am drunk. Sorry it’s just that some of the interns and I went for a drink after work. Did I say anything else that I will hate to know later?” she asked him.

He laughed at her, “well it was more of what you did,” he said as he raised his brow at her.

“What did I do?” she asked him.

“You fell just outside the house lucky for you AJ was there to help you up. He told me he had just helped you up to the door and you had just told him good night when you made an attempt to walk… the next thing he said was that you tumbled and fell.” He laughed at her… “I can’t believe I missed that.”

“Fuck you,” she told him sticking her tongue out at him. “I guess that explains the bruise on my elbow and the sore neck.” She told him as she rubbed her neck. “AJ was here?”

“Yeah he came to see some stuff about the new tour we are planning. He was here for a while something about a rematch between you two. It was actually a coincidence that you two met just outside the door,” he told her as the baby monitor on his hand began to make noise. “There’s James awake again, I’ll talk to you during breakfast,” he told her as he walked out of her room.

**********

“I’ll get it,” Valerie told both Howie and Leigh. She opened the door to find AJ there, “Hey good morning.” She told him as she kissed him on the cheek and allowed him to come in.

“Good morning how’s the elbow?” he asked he as he came in. “It was a pretty hard fall last night,” he told her.

“It’s a little sore but nothing major. How’s the hand?” she asked him.

“Well after last night I kind of reopened it again but I took care of it,” he told her smiling at her. “Doesn’t look as good as your work but its good enough.”

“What? I am sorry it’s my fat ass… you probably almost fell too helping me. That’s it I won’t drink again.” She told him as she took his injured hand in hers. “Let me take a look at it,” she told him as she dragged him to the guest restroom.

“Ouch,” AJ said as she pulled away the bandages and looked at his cut.

“Oh quit being a baby,” she told him looking into his eyes. “I’m just going change these for you and just check to see if there is no infection.”

“You’re not fat, don’t ever say that ok?” he told her picking her face so she could see him.

“I only speak the truth AJ. I am ok with accepting the truth…” she told him giving him a smile.

He sighed as he watched her go back to her task, “Just don’t say it in front of me its sounds very degrading Val. What matter’s is the inside…but your not big you are just right for you.”

She laughed as she heard him, “Look AJ even I don’t believe that…you out of all people should know that in this world if you’re not skinny and beautiful you are considered disgraceful. Isn’t that true?” she asked him as she let go of his hand. “You’re done that looks better,” she told him.

“Thanks again,” he told her as he watched her walk out. “Val I’m sorry forget I even brought that subject up. Let’s just get you moved out ok?” he told her as he let go of her arm.

*********

“Wow Val this is a nice place,” Leigh said she looked around. “I can’t believe Howie got this deal and they even left it furnished.”

“I know he’s a genius.” She told her as she plopped into one of the couches. “The only thing about this is I am going to miss him,” she told Leigh as she reached and took little James from her arms. “Hey buddy if daddy does anything to upset you let me know I will beat the living Jesus out of him for you ok?”

Leigh laughed as she saw Val speak to her son, “I think there back with the rest of your stuff,” she told her just as Howie opened the door with a few suitcases in hand.

“Man Val what did you put in here?” he asked her as he set them down on the hardwood floor.

“Seriously,” AJ said as he put the ones he carried down as well.

“Rocks I wanted you guys to workout so last night in my drunken state I went to your back yard and filled my suitcases with Rocks. I wouldn’t want your fans to be disappointed if your hard abs and muscles disappeared,” she told them with a sly smile on her face.

Everyone became quiet when little James began to cry, “Someone is hungry,” Leigh said taking him back from Valerie’s hands.

“He’s not the only one,” Howie said as he looked at his watch. “Let’s go eat,” he told them. “You’ll have to cook for us another day Val.” He told her winking at her.

*********

He watched Valerie play with her salad, “How’s the salad?” AJ asked her startling her.

“Its good,” she told him finally taking some in her mouth. She fought the urge to throw it back out. She quickly took a drink of her water and smiled at AJ. “How’s your food?”

“Good want to try?” he asked her looking at her with concern.

“No I’m good. I officially turned Vegetarian.” She told him as she forced another fork full of her salad down her mouth.

“You a vegetarian?” Howie asked Val giving her a curious look.

“No I was just pulling AJ’s leg,” she told Howie rolling her eyes at him. “I’m just trying to add more green to my meals.”

“Whatever, when will I get my rematch…” AJ asked trying to change the conversation. The truth was she was either trying to fool everyone or something because this wasn’t the first time he had caught her pretend to eat but not really eat.

“Whenever you are ready to loose,” she told him.

************

“Thanks for the ride,” Valerie said as she unbuckled her seat belt. “Howie and Leigh looked pretty tired. I guess I have a lot of unpacking to do,” she told him.

“Want company?” AJ asked her.

“Uhm, sure…” she told him giving him a smile.

“Yeah? Let me park then,” he told her.

Valerie waited patiently in the lobby of her apartments; she smiled when she saw him appear. “About time,” she told him playing.

“I need to smoke,” AJ said as he walked up to her.

“Ooh that does sound good…” she told him smiling. “We can smoke in my patio, looking into the city.”

“Deal,” he said as he pushed the button to the elevator. “So you do like your new place?”

“Yes I love it,” she told him excitedly. “Howie is my hero.”

He laughed at her comment, “What am I?” he asked her as they entered the elevator.

“You’re my best friends bitch,” she told him in a serious tone… but wasn’t able to hold her laughter… “Just kidding you’re a really cool friend I feel comfortable around you. I think we will be better friends now that we are hanging out together.”

He didn’t find her joke very amusing but that was Valerie for you. “You’re not funny,” he told her as they got off the elevator.

“Awe I’m sorry AJ I was just messing with you, you can always do the same to me. We’re friends right?” she asked him as they stopped in front of her door.

He looked at her with a serious look and then he smiled, “Yes Val I know you were playing,” he told her as he leaned in and hugged her.

She was a little surprised with the hug, and then she screamed as he poked her side. “Shit AJ don’t you dare tickle me,” she said slapping his arm slightly. You might loose your finger in all my fat….than what would we do with a fingerless backstreet boy. The fans will kill me.”

AJ rolled his eyes at her, “Whatever Vals” he said poking at her again making her scream.

“Stop AJ,” she told him laughing struggling to open her door.

********

“Hello?” Valerie said into her phone.

“Hey Val,” Russell said.

“Yeah ok, just I’ll call you later tonight. I already have plans right now.” She told him as she smiled. Russell was inviting her out.

“Ok I will is this your number?” she asked him as she looked around making sure AJ was still in the restroom.

“Yeah I had fun. I will call you later,” she told him as she hung up and bumped right into AJ.

“I have a feeling you like me to bump into you,” he told her giving her a sly smile. “Who was that Howie?”

“No it’s a friend from work,” she told him and then smiled. “So are we having this rematch or what?”

*********

Three hours later Valerie was trying to find away to leave AJ’s house. Again she had won, “Man I’m tired,” she told him yawning it was a fake yawn.

“Well I can take you home,” he told her as he sat beside her.

“No its fine you look tired too, I’ll take a cab.” She stood up and grabbed her purse.

“Val,” AJ said as he stood up and grabbed her arm. “Your going to see that guy from last night aren’t you?” he asked trying not to sound disappointed.

“No? I really am going home,” she told him giving him a smile.

He sneered at her and then spoke again, “Yeah you can’t be sleek Val I know the whole routine I use to pull that on my friends too. So is it serious what you and this guy have?”

“I don’t know I’m sorry AJ I have to go. We can hang out sometime next week ok?” she told him giving him a peck on the cheek. “Don’t tell me now your taking the brother roll since Howie is to busy with little James to be interrogating me?” she asked him as she reapplied some lip gloss on.

“Just be careful ok,” he told her. Why was he getting mad at her she had every right to date who ever she wanted?