- Text Size +
“Yes?” Valerie said as she walked into Dr. Bates office.

“Come in and shut the door please.” Russell said as he stood from his chair.

Valerie hesitantly closed the door and sighed, “Ok,” she then still held the knob of the door just in case she needed to run.

“Are you going to ignore me all night?” he asked her.

“No but Dr. Sander’s from Neonatal had a very interesting case with a newborn so I went to see if I can assist. It was really a good experience for me.” Valerie said letting go of the doorknob and walking toward Russell. “What happened last night?”

“Well you made it to the bar we were talking and having a good time. The next thing I know is you kissed me and then things get a little blurry for me too…All I remember is waking up beside you…” he told her smiling at her. “I thought it was great,” he told her caressing her cheek.

“I don’t think I am ready for a relationship Russell or to even date anyone. I don’t know exactly what happened to me, but what I did is totally out of my character. I think your handsome yes but why do you like me? You don’t even know me…” she told him taking his hand off her cheek.

“I know enough to know there is more to you than what you show. I want to get to know you Val, we can take it slow. I don’t know what happened either but I feel that you can be more to me than a friend to me. I want a person just as passionate in the medical field as I am. That will understand if I don’t come home early it’s because I was saving lives.” He told her as he looked at her straight in the eyes.

Was he joking? That was going through Valerie’s mind as she heard him express himself very well. Maybe it was time to let go of Raul and maybe god was telling her that Dr. Bates was better. For a fact he was more mature than Raul, “I just don’t want to put your hopes up Russell,” she told him giving him a warm smile.

“I’ll take what you give me, slow is good.” He told her leaning in and giving her a peck.

She closed her eyes and allowed him to kiss her, his kisses were very sensual. She did like his kisses and even though she didn’t remember the night before. Maybe he was good in that department too, “Ok we can try.”

“Yeah? Good…but we must keep this between us if not they will fire us. This is between us for now Valerie and if it gets serious than we will find a way to break the news to everyone else especially the chief.” He told her as her kissed her hand.

********

It was midday and she felt like crap. She had just gotten out of the shower and felt somewhat relieved. After a very intense two hour running in the treadmill she had taken a shower. She looked at herself in the mirror and made a face of shame. It seemed like all the fasting she had done and exercise had done nothing. She still looked like a cow. She still had the gut and her arms where unbearable. “Maybe just another month of fasting, will help.” She told herself as she put on some clothes. She new what starving herself would do but she had it under control, she just needed to loose some weight then she would go back to eating but healthy. She sighed as she remembered AJ being concerned about her not eating. Maybe she could eat well in front of them and then throw it up later? She had to find away. If not then maybe it was time to consider the lapband.

She sighed in frustration as she heard the knock on her door, “Oh wow these are for me?” she asked the delivery man.

“Yes ma’am can I have you sign here,” he told her.

She closed the door as she looked at the vase of flowers. “These are gorgeous who sent them?” she took the little card and read it…

Val,

You won’t regret giving me a chance. I hope you like the calla lilies, I will see you tonight.

Russell

She bit her lip as she realized what she had done. She was officially dating Russell, but something was still not right? Why was he wooing her yet no one could know about it? “I hope I did the right thing,” she told herself as she placed her flowers in the center table. Truth be told she did like the sudden attention on her from such prestigious Doctor.

**********

She looked at the dress one more time; she hated to shop in stores for big girls. When would she be able to shop in the normal stores? The dress was nice and maybe on someone else it would look good but on her it just didn’t work. “Never mind,” she said as she put the dress back on the rack.

“Why don’t you try it on?” the clerk told her giving her smile. “The dress will accentuate your Latin curves, you’re gorgeous. Look at your beautiful big eyes you should try it in red,” she told her. “Come on it won’t hurt.”

“No its ok I don’t have anywhere special to wear at anyways.” Valerie told the nice clerk.

“Nonsense you never know when you might need it. Come on just try it on,” she skimmed through the rack, “I think this one will fit size 16.” She gave her a smile.

“No I’m actually an 18-20,” Valerie told her blushing at her.

“No I am known to guess my sizes right,” she told her handing her the dress.

“Ok but bring an 18 along just cause I know I won’t fit in this one.” Valerie told her.

*******

“Yeah I’m just doing a little shopping ok meet me here,” AJ told his friend Chris as he exited a shoe store. He looked across where he was to a store and smiled as he recognized Valerie in it. “What is she doing here?” he said as he began to walk to Torrid.

“Hello sir how can I help you?” the clerk greeted the man.

“Well I was looking for my friend I saw her in here just a minute ago.” He looked around the store.

“Oh you mean the young lady that was hesitant to try on a dress? She’s in a dressing room do you want me to let her know you’re here?” she asked him.

“No it’s fine, may I?” he asked pointing toward the dressing rooms.

The clerk eyed him debating on if she should allow him in or not. “Ok just go down there,” she told him pointing him toward the dressing rooms. No one else was in there anyway.

AJ smiled as he walked toward the dressing rooms he almost gave himself out when he heard her cursing away.

“I can’t fuck believe I let that lady convince me to try this dress. I’m going to look like a fucking cow in a red dress,” Valerie told herself as she tried on the dress. She didn’t want to even try the size 16 because she knew it would only cause her disappointment. Yet there she was trying it on, to her surprise it fit just right. Had her fasting worked after all? “You got to fucking be kidding me, it fits.” She opened the door; she wanted to see herself on the mirrors just outside the dressing rooms.

“Wow you look nice,” AJ said as he saw her walk out with the red dress.

“Fuck AJ what the hell are you doing here,” Valerie said as she turned to go back into her dressing room.

“Val wait,” AJ said running toward her beating her to the dressing room. “Go look it looks good it shows off all your curves. I like it,” AJ told her making her turn around toward the mirrors.

She sighed and hesitantly walked toward the mirrors, she cringed as she looked at herself. “I can see all my gut,” she said out loud as she stared at herself. “It’s not me,” she said turning only to be faced with AJ right behind her.

“Your not seeing right,” he told her turning her around and taking the clip holding her hair up off. He smiled as the smell of her shampoo hit his nose, “there,” he said as he smoothed her hair. “With your hair down it looks better.”

“I don’t know? I won’t even wear it AJ it will just be stuck in my closet. I have no where nice to take this too.” She told him taking her clip back and putting hair up again.

“Yes you will your going with me to this awesome club where many famous people hang out. I will not take no for an answer,” he told her as he finally allowed her to go back into the dressing room.

“Right when is this going to happen?” she asked him as she closed the door to the dressing room.

“This weekend, I’ll pick you up around six.” He told her as he waited for her to get dressed.

“Wait a second how did you know I was here and even better what the hell are you doing here?” she asked as she finished putting on her clothes.

“I was here shopping when I saw you in here so I came in. I’m glad I did if not you wouldn’t have bought such a gorgeous dress.” He told her as he smiled at her; she had just come back out of the dressing room.

*********

“Chris this is Valerie,” AJ told Chris as they sat.

“Nice to meet you,” Chris told Valerie as he gave her a smile.

“Yeah like wise, so Chris do you have any juicy news or things I don’t know about the looser here?” she asked him.

“No not really he has been behaving so far,” he told her. “How long have you known AJ anyway?”

“Man like forever, him and Howie used to hang around a lot with my sister Sandy. But me as the baby sister always tagged along till I was part of there little group. Of course I’m the youngest and the most normal of them all. I was there when the Backstreet boys were nothing more than five little boys singing wherever they got a chance too.” She told him.

“Wow so you go way back,” Chris said as he looked through his menu.

“Yeah but I was more Howie’s friend. But AJ was always there we actually didn’t like each other much did we?” she turned to see AJ.

“No not really because you would always threaten me to tell Becky about my infatuation toward her.” AJ told her rolling his eyes.

Valerie began to laugh, “Yeah I remember that,” she said as she stood up. “I’ll be right back, if the waiter comes just order me a water and a salad no dressing.” She told AJ as she walked away.

Chris smiled at AJ and cleared his throat, “You like her don’t you?” he asked.

“No I don’t your seeing things man,” AJ scolded Chris. “I am telling we’re just friends.”

“Well friends you might be but there’s something in the way you look at her…” he said grinning at his friend. “She’s not that bad AJ; she’s a little big but in the right places dude.”

AJ rolled his eyes and spoke, “Chris please stop that ok.”

“So then can I ask her out,” he said teasing him.

“Good luck buddy she is already involved with some doctor.” He told Chris with a warning stare.