- Text Size +
Mattie kissed Evelyn’s forehead as she walked out of the room she would be staying at for the time being. She needed a smoke so bad, she opened the door and walked out into the dark hallway. She gasped when she bumped into someone calming down when she saw it was Alex. “You scared me.”

“Sorry… I couldn’t sleep. What are you doing up?” he asked.

“I needed a cigarette,” she told him as she began to walk toward the back sliding glass door.

“Can I join you?” Alex asked subtly.

“Yeah sure,” Mattie said as she turned on the light from the back. She rubbed her arms as she realized that the breeze was a little chilly.

“Yep hurricane season is amongst us,” Alex said as he walked out behind her. He took a deep breath as the breeze hit them.

“Ugh, I forgot about hurricane season.” Mattie said as she lit a cigarette. “Want one?” she asked Alex.

“Yes,” Alex taking a cigarette for himself.

“Alex,” Mattie started as she took a seat on one of the patio chairs. She waited for Alex to take a seat too… “I think it would be good time to talk,” she told him.

“Ok,” Alex said looking at her. “I should go first.”

“Why? If I was the one to assault you…” Mattie said smiling as she remembered it all.

“Well yeah but I could’ve stopped you if I wanted to.” Alex said grinning. “I have to say when Brian told me you were back, I felt my heart rejoice. I wanted to see you and see what you’ve had become. That day at the funeral I could not keep my eyes off you. Especially in that dress… I didn’t want us to break up. I was very honest that night when you broke up with me… I was in love with you.”

Mattie laughed a little, “Were in love with me…”

“I thought I had gotten you out of my system when you never answered my letter pleading for you to think it through. I have to admit then I did have a few girlfriends. Then finally two years ago I met Sharon and well I have to say I do feel something special for her… but seeing you has only lit my heart back on fire.” He said finishing his cigarette.

Mattie stared at him, “I never got over you either but I was to of coward to call and tell you that… it took me two years to finally say that I was over you. Then I see you again and…” Mattie shook her head. “I can’t help but to want to be with you.” she whispered looking at him straight in the eyes.

Alex leaned into her, cupping her face, “I don’t know where this leaves us…” he said as he leaned in lightly brushing his lips to hers.

Mattie moaned as he deepened the kiss… he had definitely gotten better at his kissing. She could feel every inch of her body begin to feel a surge of electricity… his kisses where making it harder to breathe.

“Mattie,” Alex whispered as he stood up bringing her up with him. He wrapped his arms around her waist smiling when Mattie moaned wrapping her arms around his neck. Not parting from the kiss he began to back her back into the house.

“Shh…” Mattie said as she realized what was happening. “We don’t want Evelyn or Heather to hear.”

“Right I forgot we had Evelyn… and Heather.” He said stopping and pulling her back toward the patio and into a smaller house he had in the back of his yard. She was in awe as she realized it was a sort of gym and half office. “Now no one will hear us,” he said as he kissed her neck and brought his hands to the hem of her night shirt. He slowly began to raise it stopping to pull it off.

Mattie blushed as she put her hands over her breasts, “I just…” she bit her lip as she turned to look at him.

“You look beautiful,” Alex said as he pulled his own muscle shirt over his head. He gently took her hands away from her chest smiling when she blushed. “A little to late blush remember I already saw them.”

“Yeah but I was a little drunk so my insecurity level was not that high.” She told him.

He grinned as he reached for her waist bringing her close to him, feeling her skin on his made him tremble… he picked her head so she was looking at him. He leaned in and took her lips hungrily.

******

“Good morning,” Mattie said as Evelyn walked into the kitchen.

“It smells good.” Evelyn said.

“How did you sleep?” Mattie asked as she helped her take a seat placing a plate of pancakes for her on the table.

“Good… are you taking me to school today?” Evelyn asked as she poured loads of syrup on her pancakes.

“Ok that’s enough we don’t want you to be to hyperactive at school.” Mattie said laughing at Evelyn’s pout.

“Where are Heather and Alex?”

“I’m right here,” Alex said coming out showered and dress. He ruffled her hair before walking to the coffee pot. “You made coffee…” he said smiling as he served himself some.

“Yep,” Mattie said coming up to him. “How are you this fine morning?” She asked him.

“I’ve have to say that last night was one of my best nights, I slept like a baby.” He winked at her as his hand grazed her thigh. He looked toward to Evelyn who seemed to be too busy with her pancakes, so he swiftly leaned in and kissed her.

Mattie kissed him back forgetting that Evelyn was just in front of them.

“Ew…” Evelyn said as she stood up. “Aunt Mattie you kissed Alex.” she crossed her hands over her chest.

Mattie laughed and hid her face into Alex’s chest. “That’s right she did,” Alex said grinning.

“Does that mean you’re my uncle now?” Evelyn asked excitedly.

Alex shrugged and cleared his throat, “Not yet no… but I can tell you that I care very much for Mattie.”

“So what are you then? Her boyfriend?” Evelyn asked giggling.

“YES!” Mattie said running up to Evelyn… “Quit being so nosey…” she told her as she began to tickle her.

“Need help?” Alex said as he picked Evelyn up twirling her around.

“Ok that’s enough Evelyn needs to get ready to get to school.” Mattie said smiling as she saw Alex’s interaction with Evelyn.

“Ok,” Alex said putting her down.

“Go get your school stuff…” Mattie told Evelyn who quickly ran to the room to get them.

“So my girlfriend shall we continue what got interrupted?” he said pulling her toward him kissing her.

*******

“Ok now lets hurry we don’t want you to be late and I don’t want to be late to my first day of work.” Mattie told Evelyn as she walked her to her class.

“Ok how many more days for my summer school to be over Aunt Mattie?” Evelyn as she hopped along side with Mattie.

“Just two more weeks’ sweets.”

“Yay…” Evelyn said jumping up and down. “Look Aunt Mattie there is Mr. Carter…”

“Well look who has arrived,” Nicks said high fiving the five year old. “Good morning Miss Benson,” Nick said grinning.

“Good morning and its Mattie.” Mattie stated not being able to smile back, his smile was contagious.

“Aunt Mattie there is my class,” Evelyn said tugging on her hand.

“Ok well I’ll see you tomorrow ok, Nana Louise is picking you up.” She bent down to kiss her niece. She smiled as she watched her go into her classroom. “I must go I have to get to work.” She extended her hand shaking his hand.

“See you around Mattie,” Nick said as he watched her walk out.

******

“I can’t Sharon,” Alex said into his phone. “I already told you were right we need a break and I am not ready to take you back.” Alex said hanging up.

He smiled when he saw Mattie walking in, “You’re late,” he said in a teasing way.

“I am so sorry boss I was stuck in traffic,” Mattie said playing along.

“Yeah that is so weird I’ve lived here in Clewiston almost all my life and never have I seen traffic till now…” he laughed.

“Ok it wont happen again,” Mattie said as she walked to the bar and looking at him. “So what do I do?”

********

July 26, 2010
Time: 1:00pm
Location: bathroom stall in the skulls and bones bar.
Emotion: Happy?

I don’t know where to start… Alex and I are together. I know I’ve mentioned before that I think Evelyn is happier than me about this. She saw us kissing this morning and she even asked if she could call him uncle.

Of course we are taking it slow… well in the relationship part except for the sex. I just can’t keep myself from that… which me brings me to what Heather told us at that diner. I can’t help to now think that it would be so awesome to marry Alex.

I know I shouldn’t rush to conclusions but I am happy. Like part of my sadness and anger are gone replaced by him. I am feeling things I had stop feeling long time ago. I know this may sound stupid but maybe it’s true what they say you never forget your first love.

I hope everything goes smoothly but then again my family doesn’t even know where I am staying at and now I have to get prepared for the first hearing… with my lawyer and my mother’s lawyer. I don’t want to fight with my mother I love her but Emmy trusts me so she has no right assuming I won’t be able to raise Evelyn.

I am a woman… I feel and I will see Evelyn as my own daughter. Crap I have to go back to work. I don’t want to get fired. Later.

Mattie.

********

[Heather singing]

I wish you could step off that ledge my friend

You could cut ties with all the lies

That you’ve been living in,

And if you do not want to see me again,

I would understand

I would understand

Heather stopped playing when Alex began to clap. “You scared the crap out of me… where’s Mattie.” Heather said as she put her guitar away.

“She is at Brian’s she wanted to thank him personally for loaning her his truck. Nice choice of song.” Alex said sitting beside her. “I have an idea… will you play the guitar for me on the talent show?”

“I may like to do that what song?” Heather asked as she took her guitar out again.

“Well I love this one song from Matchbox twenty called “Bright lights” since it came out… do you know it?” Alex asked.

“I might…” Heather as she began to play with the strings of her guitar.

Alex smiled as he began to nod to the beat and cleared his throat as he began to sing:

She got out of town
On a railway New York bound
Took all except my name
Another alien on Broadway

There’s some things in this world
You just can’t change
Something’s you can’t see
Until it gets too late

Baby, baby, baby
When all your love is gone
Who will save me
From all I’m up against out in this world

Maybe, maybe, maybe
You’ll find something that’s enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don’t receive you
You can turn yourself around and come back home

I got a hole in me now…

He stopped singing when he saw Mattie standing there listening. “Something like that.” He said smiling to Heather. “You’re good.”

“Thanks I know.” Heather said as she continued to sing the song.

I got a scar I can talk about
She keeps a picture of me
In her apartment in the city

Some things in this world
They don’t make sense
Some things you don’t need
Until they leave you
And they’re things that you miss

Baby, baby, baby
When all your love is gone
Who will save me
From all I’m up against out in this world

Maybe, maybe, maybe
You’ll find something that’s enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don’t receive you
You can turn yourself around and come back home

Yeah come on home
Baby, baby, baby, baby come on home
Yeah come on home, Yeah come on home
Yeah come on home
Baby, baby, baby, baby come on home

She finished the song and giggled. “Nice choice of song…we just need to practice. So when is this talent show anyway?” she asked.

“This Friday,” Mattie said clapping.

“Well we should practice more then…”


******
song#1: Jumper-Third eye blind
song#2: Bright lights-Matchbox 20