- Text Size +
“Here you go,” Mattie said as she served yet another drink. It was not such a bad job and with Alex’s supervision she was doing good for her first night.

“Oh shit,” Alex said to Mattie as he pointed to the entrance of the bar. There stood Mrs. Benson with two other people.

“What the…what are they doing here?” Mattie said as she recognized Lizzy and Ricky who had apparently accompanied her mother. “Can I take five?” she asked Alex as she began to walk out from behind the bar. She cleared her throat and met them at the entrance.

“Well I see you found just where to fit in. You still expect to win this custody?” Louise told her daughter.

“Mom it’s a job, I need one if I am going to be living here for Evelyn’s sake.” Mattie said annoyed and without more walked to the door. “Just let’s go outside and talk.”

“This isn’t going to look good…” Ricky said taking a picture of her with a shirt promoting the bar.

“What is all this about? Who told you where I work anyway.” Mattie said with anger.

“Evelyn just keeps talking about how much fun she is having with you… then today she tells you working here and that Alex is your boyfriend because you two were kissing.” Lizzy said crossing her arms.

“Shit,” Mattie said realizing she had not thought of that, of course Evelyn would talk.

“Hey everything ok?” Alex said coming out with a concerned look. “Hi Mrs. Benson.” He said politely.

“I’ll be fine just go back in Alex.” Mattie said as tears began to fall down her eyes.

“Alex McLean?” Ricky said with sarcasm as he saw the man. “Well shit look at that you old boyfriend is back and I can see why…”

“You’ve changed so much from when I remember you…” Louise said eyeing Alex with disgust. “Now we know where Mattie got her horrible taste in style.”

“Mother! He has nothing to do with the way I lived all these years… that’s one and secondly I hadn't seen him till the day of Emmy’s funeral so leave all that venom for me who is the one you are mad at right now.” Mattie said defensively giving Alex an apologetic look. “Alex please just let me talk them…”

“I hope you know the judge will hear and see evidence on how unsuitable you are to care for Evelyn… who is Evelyn going to be with while you come here to attend the bar?” Louise said ignoring her daughter.

“I know I can take care of her… why don’t you come out and say what really is bothering you about all this… it’s the fact that Emmy chose me instead of you. Or is it the fact that daddy spoke to me one last time before he passed? That he stayed true to his words and waited for me to arrive to say goodbye? Why can’t you just look at me and be proud of whom I’ve become… I have a degree mother, I might not stay here long I tend to get a job in my field. Or do you hate me because I ran… ran away from this life. I mean look at Lizzy she married right after high school and where is she? Right divorced… and Ricky still close to mom always a momma’s boy. Mom I was born to be independent. So stop trying to say I am not capable of taking care of Evelyn because I can… and tell me what really is bothering you. You’re the one that called remember? You called me and you told me about Emmy… you had the choice to leave me out.” Mattie began to cry as she confronted her mother.

“I think you should go and just Mattie will see you at the hearing,” Alex said as he hugged Mattie who began to sob.

“Who are you to tell what to do? Didn’t she dump you? She probably is using you just because you are letting her stay at your house.” Ricky said defensively.

“I am not going to answer back at that because I know your saying that out of anger but get the hell out of my property now!” Alex said as he turned to look toward the entrance of the bar hoping to catch the attention of a security guard.

“Don’t go looking for Evelyn tomorrow I won’t let you take her… god knows what your teaching her. We don’t need another one of you running around in the family.” Louise said as she walked away with her other two kids.

*******

“Here drink this… its good to calm down your nerves.” Heather said as she sat beside Mattie on the bed. “Oh just let me go give your stupid family a piece of my mind!”

“How are you doing?” Alex said walking into her room. “I called Brian and he is at the bar so I could come down here to be with you.” He said as he saw her, she was a mess balled up tissues all around her.

“I’m going to and take Cleo for a walk,” Heather said leaning in kissing Mattie’s forehead. “Remember big breaths.”

“Ok, thanks Heather even for the tea,” Mattie said eyeing the tea with disgust.

Alex waited for Heather to be out before he took a seat beside Mattie wrapping an arm around her. “Want to talk about it?” He asked as he rubbed her hand.

Mattie laughed wryly, “I’ve lost her haven’t I?” she grabbed another Kleenex as she felt another fit of tears threatening to come out.

“Hell no Mattie, you are going to show them who you are. I know that it will take some convincing but you did the most selfish act by leaving your life and coming down here to make sure she is happy.” He kissed her shoulder and sighed, “I will be with you through all this.”

“Thanks I know I shouldn’t have dragged you into this… now my family hates you. Maybe it was a bad idea this… us.” Mattie said feeling a little pain as she said it.

“Now you listen to me… I am actually the happiest man ever at this moment and it’s because I got you back… So don’t say that.” Alex said kissing her hand.

*******

July 30, 2010
Time: 12:00pm
Location: Central Elementary cafeteria slash auditorium.
Emotion: distant

I am here waiting for this talent show to start. Unfortunately mother could not stop me from going to see Evelyn and taking her with me like we were supposed to. I was able to see her, she is super excited about this talent show. I’ve seen her magic tricks… well there really is no magic involved but I acted surprised.

I think she mostly excited about hearing Alex sing the whole song. I have to admit I can’t either he hasn’t allowed me to hear him sing. I still have to see if my family show’s up for this talent show. I had called Sean about it but he unfortunately couldn’t come he had work. Anna lee was going to try and be hear but James got sick at the last minute. So I was alone and I just hope not to get confrontational with them here.

The place is starting to get packed and I can almost feel just as excited I was when I had had a talent show back in my school days. Well I have to go… Mr. Carter is coming this way I don’t want to see me doing this. I’ll tell you later how it all went.

Mattie.

*******

“So your sitting all alone,” Nick said as he finally spotted Mattie.

“Well not really as soon as Alex and Heather perform they will sit here with me, to see Evelyn do her magic tricks.

“Well I hope you enjoy my performance too…” Nick said smiling at her.

“Oh really what are you doing?” Mattie asked curiously.

“I am going to sing, keep a close look for my turn.” Nick said grinning at her.

“OK,” Mattie said just as she saw Alex approach.

“Hey…” Alex said eyeing Nick.

“Hey, this is Evelyn’s art teacher Mr. Carter.” Mattie said introducing him.

“Oh hi,” Alex said sitting in down beside Mattie.

“Nice to meet you Alex… I hear your singing Evelyn is super excited about your performance good luck.” Nick said standing up. “I should go… I see you later Mattie. Remember?” he said pointing to his ear as he walked away.

Mattie only laughed and nodded, “So you nervous?” she asked Alex who only stared at Nick as he walked away.

“A little,” he said finally looking back at her. “I came for my good luck kiss and to give you this…” he hand her a folded piece of paper, “read it after I leave.” He kissed her and walked away.

Mattie smiled as she unfolded the paper and began to read:

Mattie,

This song is the closest to what I feel about you. It best describes just how I feel about our whole situation. I want you to know and at the end you will always have me.

Love,

Alex.

She blushed as she read it; she would definitely have to pay close attention to the song.

*****

July 30, 2010
Time: 11:15pm
Location: Alex’s bed… (Yes he’s sleeping beside me like a baby.)
Emotion: weird

I keep playing Alex’s performance of Matchbox 20 it was awesome. I think Alex could definitely pursue a career in the music business he has the voice.

I realized that song kind of does represent what I did… But most of all I got he is here for me and he has been waiting for me to return. I realized I have a lot to apologize for… I hurt him bad when I left and I intend to make it up to him. I can now say that I still and will always love him.

As I see him here beside me his light snore serving me as a lullaby I can only say I am in happy place… with some dark areas to still work on my major one is the hearing that will happen this next Monday. I am so nervous but Alex is being such a great boyfriend… god who would have thought I would call Alex my boyfriend ever again?

I should try and get some sleep, but I did promise to tell you how it went at the talent show… it was pretty funny and cute. I did listen to Nick’s performance it was very rockish… loved it and he did a very good voice impression of Steve Tyler. I can admit and say he is one handsome art teacher… I kind of have a feeling that Mr. Carter is my baby Evelyn’s first crush. I just notice how she stares at him and giggles at everything he says. Awe… Evelyn is growing, Emmy would be so bawling right at this realization.

Well I really should get a shut eye… we promised Evelyn a fun day at the beach… yep we are going to the beach tomorrow. Good night.

Mattie.

******

Alex smiled as he snuggled closer to Mattie. “what were you doing?” he asked her as he put his arm around her.

“I was writing,” Mattie said as she kissed his nose. “I had to if not I would have forgotten what I wanted to write.”

“Yeah yeah whatever woman,” Alex said kissing her as he poked her on the side of her stomach making her jump.

“No please,” Mattie said as she began to laugh.

“Ok fine… lets go to sleep we have a big day tomorrow.” Alex said.

“Ok,” Mattie said staring at him as he sighed she could still see him well with light that came in through the window from the full moon. “Alex…”

“hmm.” He managed to say as he began to doze off a little.

“I love you… I have always loved you.”

Alex opened his eyes and stared at her, her face was only inches away from his. He smiled at her and then he kissed her deeply catching her by surprise. “I have always loved you.” he said before capturing her lips again in another passionate kiss.

******

“Can you do it again?” Evelyn asked Brian as she sat on his lap.

“Do what?” Brian said in his daffy duck voice.

“That,” Evelyn said laughing as she heard him, “I should have taken you to my talent show.”

Mattie laughed as she heard the conversation between Evelyn and Brian. “She just likes him more than Alex I think.”

“He’s going to make one good father isn’t he?” Leighanne said as she watched his fiancé play with Evelyn. “I can’t wait to be married to him and give him a kid of his own.”

“So when is the wedding?” Mattie asked as she looked at the wave’s crash into the sand. They were still in Ft. Lauderdale enjoying the beach; Alex had invited Brian and Leighanne along.

“In three months. I want a fall wedding,” Leighanne said excitedly. “You know Brian was right you and Alex were meant for one another.”

Mattie only blushed as she saw Alex and Brian playing with Evelyn. “I hope so… I hurt him really bad when I left and I am glad he forgave me.”

“I think its because he knew you would come back…” Leighanne said smiling at her. “My god its three in the afternoon we should head back and maybe first eat somewhere.”

“Good idea… I need food.” Heather said walking to them with a back full of trash.

“What is that?” Mattie asked her as she eyed the bag.

“Well someone has to take care of our oceans… can you believe I found all this when I see a lot of dumpsters along the beach.” Heather said annoyed.

Mattie and Leighanne laughed as they heard her. “Don’t go to New York then,” Leighanne said laughing.

******