- Text Size +
August 2, 2010
Time: 3:00pm
Location: Alex’s car on the way back from my first hearing.
Emotion: Numb

I don’t know what to say or what to think. This hearing was all about my family bashing me to the judge. I was a mess a pissed off mess that once or twice was tempted to beat the crap out my siblings especially Ricky.

Am I really that way? My mother described me as whore pretty much… she basically said on every event I would come with a different man. How can she call me that? If I recall Josie was the one to do that quite often in high school yet she has the face to say I am one?

Alex had to hold me literally as I heard myself being described as a selfish brat that had tantrums. I am not like that… why they couldn’t just deal with the fact that Emmy chose me.

The judge should have been named Prudy instead of Judge Miller. She gave me the scold of my life and as of right now till the next hearing in November I have to prove to her I can keep a real job not a bar and I must have a home of my own. I mean I was intending on that… but now I have to speed things up. I can’t believe she is taking my mother’s side… maybe I should request to get another judge.

I am not going down easy though if I have to change even more I will. Evelyn is the only thing I have left from my sister and I intend on making sure her last wish is fulfilled and that means I will have custody of Evelyn.

Mattie.

********

“Fuck,” Mattie said as she threw her high heels onto the floor in her room. She was frustrated and was literally scared of loosing Evelyn.

“It will be fine,” Alex said as he walked in startling her a little. “You know I love you right?”

Mattie nodded her head and gave him a weak smile, “Well you need to prove to the judge that you have a steady home, guess what you do.” Alex said giving her a grin… as he kneeled down in front of her taking deep breath. “I have always wanted to say this to you… Mattie marry me.”

Mattie was in shock as she realized what Alex was saying. She swallowed hard and she felt her heart almost jump out of her chest… “I…. would love to Alex but aren’t you rushing things?”

“No… if we can arrange and organize a small ceremony in a month we can prove to the judge you have a stable home with a husband who owns his own business and can take care of you and Evelyn. I would love to do that… take care of you and Evelyn. I don’t know about Heather…” he smiled as he saw the tears coming down Mattie’s face.

“I don’t know how to thank you… I just don’t want you to rush this just to help me.” Mattie said.

“I am not rushing anything… I actually been waiting for this moment for quite sometime. Except instead you broke up with me… but now that I have a chance and I know you would want to work this out why not get married?” he asked as he kissed her lips.

“Ok let’s get married…” Mattie said hugging him. “I have a wedding to plan…”

“Yep you do.” Alex said. He kissed her and then smiled, “I have an engagement ring to go buy. I will see later at the bar ok?”

“Yeah… I’m going to go see Evelyn and tell her I am still fighting for her.”

******

Mattie walked into the bar and smiled as she saw Alex was already at work with the other people that worked for him. “Hey,” Mattie said leaning in to kiss him.

“Hey how is Evelyn taking the news?” he asked as he looked up from the drink he was preparing.

“She says she is going to pray that I win…I so close to telling her about us. But I know its hard for a five year old to keep a secret.”

Alex laughed, “I sort of told Brian… he is our witness.” He said as he finished what was doing and handed over to one of the other co-workers. “come here,” he said as he walked toward the office in the back of the bar.

“Ok,” Mattie said following him.

He dug out from his pocket a beautiful ring and took her hand. He gently placed on her left ring finger smiling… “Perfect…it used to be my grandmothers.”

“I like it,” Mattie said as she stared at her hand and then to Alex. Her eyes widened and then she gasped… “Have you realized that Heather has been right so far? We are getting married.”

“Shit your right…maybe she has found her calling.” Alex said giggling.

“Maybe I should ask her if I will win custody for Evelyn.” Mattie said as she continued to stare at her hand.

“Babe it’s just a coincidence.” Alex said leaning in to kiss her.

*******

Sharon saw as Alex and some woman walked giggled up to his porch. “Alex?”

Alex froze as he heard Sharon’s voice, “Sharon? What are you doing here?” he asked as he saw her sitting on one of the chairs on the porch.

“I had to come see you since you won’t answer my calls.” Sharon said as she eyed Mattie who was just silent. “Who’s she?”

“I’m Mattie,” Mattie said giving her a small smile. “I think you two need to talk I’ll just go inside and wait for you.” she winked at Alex.

“Mattie…” Alex said looking at her, “Its fine stay.”

“Are you two…” Sharon said cutting there little conversation short. “I can’t believe you…” she said bitterly.

“Why not? You broke up with me remember? You wanted a break and I didn’t you made the choice,” Alex said a little irritated by Sharon’s reaction.

“Because of this you idiot,” Sharon said walking up to him with a letter in hand. “Open it… read it.”

Alex looked at her confused as he did as he was told. He eyed the letter and for an instant he felt like he was going to faint. “When did you find out?” he asked his face turning pale as he looked at Sharon then to a very confused Mattie.

“I had my suspicions so I went to the doctor and he confirmed it I am three months pregnant.” Sharon said as she looked at Mattie with a sneer.

Mattie heart felt like he it had completely stopped as she heard that Alex’s ex was pregnant. She looked at Alex who was still in shock himself. “I have to go…” she whispered as she began to walk and then before she knew it she was running.

******

“Mattie?” Leighanne said as she opened the door to the house “What are you doing here? Are you hear to show me the ring?” Leighanne asked a smile illuminating her face.

“No…” she began to sob.

“Who’s at the door?” Brian asked as he walked into the foyer. “Mattie? What’s wrong?”

Mattie only crumbled to the floor as all her emotions came through. “I am bad luck,” she said as she tried to calm down. “Sharon was waiting for Alex when we got home.” She said as she finally composed herself. “She’s pregnant.”

“My god,” Leighanne said making the cross sign as she heard Mattie. “I am so sorry Mattie,” she told her hugging her.

Mattie shrugged…. “I should’ve known that all this that was happening between Alex and me was to good to be true.”

“Do you mind if I stay here tonight?”

“Of course not sweetie here come on in. I’m just going to call Alex to let him know you’re here…” Brian said.

******

“I want you to help out with the baby Alex. I love you and I want us to work it out. Either that or you loose any rights to this baby.” Sharon said as she looked at Alex.

“I want to be part of the baby’s life… I don’t intend to be like my father. But I can’t be with you… Sharon I don’t feel the same way for you anymore.”

Sharon began to cry as she heard him only making Alex feel guilty. “I made a mistake by telling you to give me some space and I come back and you don’t love me anymore? What does she have that I don’t?” she asked him as she took a seat and began to sob.

“Sharon me and you have been over for a while…” Alex said as he took a seat beside her.

“I love you…” Sharon said surprising him with a kiss that somehow he could not deny her. She was going to give him a baby one with his blood running through his veins. He felt rejoice in his heart yet he felt anguish as he remembered the call from Brian about Mattie.

*******

August 3, 2010
Time: 3:00am
Location: Brian’s comfy couch
Emotion: defeated

I knew Heather was a hoax… I am here trying to understand what has just occurred. I am about to loose Evelyn and as I find a wonderful solution someone stomps right on it. Sharon showed up today at Alex’s house.

What I thought was going to be a talk about there relationship turned down hill when she told him she was pregnant. PREGNANT… Sharon was giving my Alex a baby and I can’t help to admit that even though he was shocked and angry when he heard the news I saw the look on his face. It was pride…. He was having a baby. Why shouldn’t he be happy?

I haven’t been able to sleep so here I am and I’ve decided that I don’t want to come between Alex and his baby. I know Alex still feels something for Sharon and it can grow back to love. She could not live with herself if she got in between that… Alex needed to be there for his baby.

So I am back to square one… I need to find a place and another job. I don’t even know how I am going to tell Alex I won’t be marrying him.

Mattie.
Chapter End Notes:
Don't hate me trust me it will get good...I hope to get your comment on this chapter... :)