- Text Size +
August 15, 2010
Time: 6:00pm
Location: Finally a home of my own… (I chose the town home in Bell Glade)
Emotion: bitter

I am bitter… yes I said bitter. Why does life seem to torture me? I was having a good day out in the beach with Nick and his nephew Ben. Such a cute little kid he is only a year older than Evelyn and man he’s pretty good at the surfing I am sure it’s because of Nick.

Any who the beach was awesome even if technically we are in hurricane season I should be happy we really haven’t had one. Everything was going well and I have to say that Mr. Carter is not so Mr. Good guy he has a couple of tattoos…just not so visible to the public.

I have to say did enjoy my day with him even if I did fall many times into the water… Once I almost lost my bikini bottom when I fell in to the water but thank god it only slipped down… imagine the embarrassment.

I ended up borrowing one of Brian’s car and well I am in the market for a car… well I was because it turns out that Howard my brother in law will be bringing me one from Miami that they don’t use anymore since James was born. My day went sour just a few minutes ago though. I was driving Evelyn back to my mother’s… I have to say though before I continue that you should know that Clewiston is not a major city it’s a small town with a few thousand people.

Having said that, Evelyn tells me she is in the mood for ice cream…so I drive to the only ice cream place I know… Zoe’s Ice cream land. I figure that I should probably enjoy some ice cream too since I can’t say I could just smoke. I still get cravings but I manage pretty well.

Evelyn ordered the bubblegum flavored ice cream what five year old wouldn’t? I had a more complex ice cream… strawberry cheese cake. I was sitting with Evelyn as she told me all about what she goes through at mom’s now that she is out of school and enjoying her small summer.

I was entranced on her conversation I didn’t notice who came in till I heard the voice. I froze with my spoon in mid air with ice cream ready to be devoured. I couldn’t look that way but when you have a five year old with you… well you end up in really bad situations.

Evelyn didn’t take long to recognize Alex…

[Flashback]

“Alex,” Evelyn jumped from her chair and ran toward him. “I haven’t seen you in forever!” she told him as she hugged his leg only making Alex pick her up.

“Hey Evelyn how you been?” Alex said smiling at the little girl who only hugged him again.

“Not so good… my aunt Mattie still can’t take me home with her and I am stuck with my grandma…” she pouted as she turned to look at the petite woman that stood beside him. “Who’s she?”

“I’m Sharon and who are you?” Sharon asked smiling at the little girl.

“I’m Evelyn Vanderbilt… I am five years old and I know magic tricks.” She smiled at her.

“Evelyn we have to go,” Mattie said as she nervously approached them. “Come on now you have get back to grandma’s.” she said as she pulled Evelyn away from Alex’s grip.

“Hey…” Alex said staring at her.

“Hi,” Mattie said not looking at him in the face… “I have to go…” she gave him a quick smile and took Evelyn away.”

“Wait Aunt Mattie…” Evelyn said pulling away and running back to hug him. “You have to take us on your boat again soon and take Cleo.”

“I will make plans,” Alex said giving her a smile as Sharon took his hand intertwining her hand with his. She looked a little annoyed.

“Hey Alex?” Evelyn said looking back at Sharon. “Is Sharon your new girlfriend? So you don’t like my aunt anymore? My aunt is much cooler and prettier.”

“EVELYN,” Mattie said as she went up to her niece again and cleared her throat. “That is not your business now come on…” she took her hand and began to walk.

[End of flashback]

It didn’t take long for me to see that Sharon was not very happy with Evelyn’s comment. I was smiling though because a kid always says the truth and well I have to admit Alex did not look so happy.

I gave Evelyn a very short and to the point explanation to her questions. I smiled when she crossed her arms and told me that Alex was missing out for changing me for Sharon. I laughed and kissed her forehead thinking about that fact was I was the one to be missing out on him… I had let him go. Thinking about it made me want to run and never come back… and that’s why I am bitter.

Mattie.

********

“Alex?” Sharon asked as she peeked into his room.

Alex put his old high school year book away and looked up to see Sharon in a very skimpy night shirt. “Yeah?” he cleared his throat.

“I can’t sleep… I am craving pancakes.” She bit her lip as she rubbed her still not so noticeable stomach.

“Ok,” Alex said stretching as he stood up walking out the door and into the kitchen. He went straight to work and began to mix the pancake batter.

“Are you going to ever look at me like you looked at Mattie earlier at the ice cream place?” Sharon asked as she took a seat on the stool.

Alex stopped what he was doing and looked at her… “Sharon… we talked about this when I called you and told you to move in with me. I don’t want to tell you that I never will because I am going to try hard to have things go back to when we were together.”

“What does Mattie have that I don’t?” she asked him not dropping the subject.

Alex gritted his teeth, “Sharon please… let’s drop the subject and get this batter on the pan.”

“I know that you are doing all this for your child and I am happy that you have chosen to do this Alex… but you have to understand me, I love you and I made a mistake in asking to go on a break… when I come back you have this girl that I never met living here with you. It makes me mad because she hasn’t even been here long and you are fucking in love with her! I want to know what she has that made her so special to you… it took me almost a year for you to even consider me your girlfriend and then two years for you to ask me to marry you… then I freak out a little and ask for a little time to think it through and you take that as you can date again. I want to know…” she said a little mad.

Alex slammed the bowl he carried back on the counter making a frustrated sigh, “Sharon let it go! I am going to try here ok?”

“NO! I will leave right now! Just tell me…” she told him now tears of anger coming down her face.

“Sharon…” Alex said his voice softening as he saw the look on her face. “Calm down Sharon you need to be relaxed not only for you but for the baby.” He began to pour the batter into the pan. “Mattie was my first girlfriend… official girlfriend. We were high school sweethearts I guess you can say, then after her graduation she broke up with me and left without ever turning back. She came back recently because one of her sisters passed away and well I have always been good friends with the Benson’s so I was the funeral… we saw each other and well things happened and my feelings for came back.” Alex said not saying anything else as he flipped his first pancake.

Sharon smiled bitterly as she heard him. “It makes sense… but she broke your heart and you still took her back now?”

Alex shrugged not wanting to explain anymore to her… “Sharon I am not going to speak about further so drop it… you wanted to know I told you the essential part but like I promised you I am going try hard to be here for you and the baby.”

Sharon smiled as he heard his determination; she walked up to him and made him turn to look at her. “I am going to make you forget her… you are going to love me again.” Sharon said crashing her lips on his.

******

“Wow you look great… you are going to be one good teacher,” Leighanne said as she watched Mattie try on suit after suit she had bought for her new job.

“I hope all this I am doing gets me my main goal,” Mattie said.

“It will work you love Evelyn too...” Leighanne said smiling at her. “I wanted to ask you something.”

“Yeah shoot,” Mattie said as she took a seat on a couch.

“Well I wasn’t planning on having bridesmaids at my wedding but I would love to have you be sort of like my maid of honor? I mean you will be basically it but it would be nice. You are the first girl I don’t hate that Alex has dated.” She stopped talking when she realized she was talking about him.

“I would love to if it makes your day better that day.” Mattie said hugging her.

“I really like this townhouse,” Leighanne said as she looked around.

******

“Coming!” yelled Heather as she opened the door only to gawk at who stood there.

“Is Mattie available?” Nicked asked as he smiled at the girl in front of him.

“Who is it?” Mattie asked coming up behind her…

“Me,” Nick said smiling at her.

“Oh hi Nick… how did you find out where I lived?” Mattie asked as Heather cleared her throat. “Oh right Nick meet my roommate Heather Harris.”

“Nice to meet you,” Nick said as he extended his hand to her.

“The pleasure is all mine,” Heather said glaring at Mattie. “I have to head out to work, but yeah come in.”

“Oh right yeah…” Mattie said.

She watched as Heather left to go to work. “So again how did you find me?”

“Well you know once you got hired any teacher can look at your file.

“I little bit,” she said as she eyed him. “Would you like something to drink?”

“No I am good I just wanted to see you would want to make plans for later or tomorrow.”

Mattie smiled and then sighed, “Nick I think we should talk.”

“About what?” Nick asked as he smiled at Mattie.

“I am not looking for any type of romantic relationship right now. I have to much going on with my niece’s case to think about boyfriends. So how about friends?” Mattie said extending her hand.

“I’ll take what I can get… but I have to say this… I am aiming for her though.” He gave her a grin when he saw the look she made.
Chapter End Notes:
Ok here is the next chapter... please let me know what you think... its short but the next one will be bigger... enjoy and let me know what you think!