- Text Size +
Before Mattie knew it was October and she was liking being called Ms. Benson, by now her mother knew she was working at the school Evelyn attended she was now a first grader.

Nick had become a really good friend and maybe just maybe she could settle for him… but there was a problem with that… Heather. Heather was very much smitten for Nick and besides Nick was two years her junior. That also made her always stop him from his attempts of trying to kiss her.

She had tried to get Nick to notice Heather but still all he did was acknowledge her when he went over to her house. Now she was preparing for Brian’s wedding to Leighanne. She was going to be the maid of honor….

“I can’t believe I am wearing this for you…” Mattie said as she looked at herself on the full length mirror.

“I think red looks great on you…” Leighanne said excitedly as she showed of her dress. “Can you believe that in exactly twenty four hours I will be married?”

“Yeah I can and you deserve it… you have been an awesome friend to me.” Mattie said as she hugged her.

“So do you still want an extra seat?” Leighanne asked.

“Yes please…” Mattie said as she came out of the dressing in her tank and jeans.

*******

October 16, 2010
Time: 9:15am
Location: The Plaza Inn… (Ballroom)
Emotion: romantic

I am here about to stand by Leighanne as she says I do to Brian. She is a nervous wreck but she asked me to check on the venue make sure everything is done. I am just in awe of the place it it gorgeous… Everything is ready for the wedding.

I still haven’t seen the groom and I am also nervous because I did not think about who would be Brian’s best man. I am more than a hundred percent sure it will be Alex. I haven’t seen him since the ice cream shop incident.

I have to admit I can’t wait to see him though. I can’t move on and sometimes I regret leaving him but I can only come to assume he has moved on. Maybe he hates me enough this time around. Evelyn is excited too because Leighanne asked her to be there flower girl.

Well I have to go back and get dressed. I hope everything goes smooth.

Mattie

******

“So this is nice you look very nice,” Nick told Mattie as they watched the happy couple dance there song. He smiled as people cut in to dance with the bride and groom. “Shall we go bud in?”

Mattie giggled and then nodded… “Yeah lets go…” she thanked Nick as he helped her from her chair and they walked to the center of the dance floor. “May I?” she asked the lady that danced with Brian.

“Hey you look nice,” Brian said hugging her he raised his brow when he saw Nick dancing with his wife. “Who’s the hunk?” he wiggled his brows.

Mattie laughed and playfully hit him on the arm… “Just a friend from work. Any who congratulations Brian you are a lucky man.”

“I know… hey listen thank you for enduring this for Leighanne. I know it must have been hard seeing Alex here with Sharon.” He gave her a sympathetic smile.

Mattie cleared her throat and smiled, “I’m fine we both are grown adults…” she winked at Brian just before she saw Sharon from her peripheral view standing right beside her and Brian. She smiled at her as her eyes went to her now noticeable bump.

“May I?” she asked rolling her eyes at Mattie who kissed Brian’s cheek and walked away stopping when Nick’s hand took a hold of her hand.

“Wait for me…” Nick said giving her a grin.

*******

“You look nice,” Leighanne told Alex who seemed to only be interested in who was with Mattie. “How are you?”

“Sorry,” Alex said smiling at her weakly. “This day is all about you… I just hadn’t seen her in a while.”

“It’s ok I understand… how’s the pregnancy going?” Leighanne asked as they danced.

“It’s very crazy one day she craves one thing, the next something totally different. It’s the ride of my life,” Alex said.

“Do you know what it will be?”

“A boy…” Alex said for once showing a genuine smile since this whole ordeal.

“Awe congratulations!” Leighanne said excited.

*******

“I’m ready to go,” Sharon told Alex as she leaned in resting her head on his shoulder.

“Sharon it’s not even nine,” Alex said frustrated.

“Well then Brian shouldn’t have invited her!” Sharon said as she looked toward the dance floor where Mattie danced away with Evelyn and some guy.

“She is their friend too… You know what here go home.” Alex said taking his cars keys and handing them to her. “I am staying here till this is over he is my best friend.” He stood up and walked away leaving her there. He needed a smoke so bad he walked out of the party into the garden.

“You ok?” Brian asked startling him.

“Yeah… no.” Alex said as he lit a cigarette. “Sharon wants to go already.”

“Hey if you have to go I will understand.” Brian said as she stood beside him.

“No she needs to learn and trust me… she is just mad cause Mattie is here.” Alex said as he exhaled the smoke.

“Well if you decide to go I am ok with it… thanks for being my best man.” Brian said patting his shoulder.

“It was my pleasure… so who’s the guy she’s with?” he asked not caring about the face Brian made at his question.

“Nick Carter her friend and coworker.” Brian said shrugging. “She asked for an extra seat at the last minute and then she showed up with him.”

“She’s moving on…” Alex said as he tossed the cigarette butt. “Do you think she loves him?”

“How should I know? Aren’t you going to marry Sharon anyway?”

Alex only made a face at that comment and shrugged. “She is driving me crazy Brian… she calls me every second and wants to know where I am at. She always tries to you know sneak into my room… I don’t know how much more I can handle.She is trying to seduce me in many ways but I just can't... I know I said I'd try...but I just can't.”

“Maybe you need to try harder…” Brian said as they both walked back in to find the seat that Sharon sat on was empty her purse also gone.

“She left,” Alex said as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Baby let’s dance this one,” Leighanne said as she came up them. “I love this song… and its slow.” She raised her eyebrows at Brian.

“Ok,” Brian said giving Alex his friend a weak smile. “Just enjoy this she’s gone anyway.”

Alex only smiled at his comment that’s when he spotted Heather sitting at the table with Evelyn. He looked toward the dance floor and there was Mattie dancing with that Nick guy. “Hey,” he said as he hugged Heather and then caught Evelyn who jumped at him.

“Hi Alex do you want to dance with me?” Evelyn asked as she began to pull him toward the dance floor.

“Ok…” he said laughing as he waved to Heather who was laughing.

******

Mattie smiled as she saw Evelyn fast asleep on Alex’s shoulder as the song finished. She must have been tired since she was up pretty late the day before for the wedding rehearsal.

“Want to dance this next song?” Nick asked bringing Mattie back from wherever she was.

“No… I have to get Evelyn I am sure Heather would love to though.” Mattie said leaving him there as she walked up to Alex. “Hey,” she smiled at him and looked at Evelyn. “Need help?”

“No I am good…” Alex said as he smiled at Mattie.

“She’s pretty tired,” Mattie said as she walked with him back to her table. She smiled when she saw Heather and Nick dancing. “I’ll take her now…”

“Are you leaving already?” he asked her.

“I’m just going to take her home to moms,” Mattie said as she grabbed her keys.

“I’ll help you take her to the car.” Alex said as he rubbed Evelyn’s back.

“Ok let me just tell Heather and Nick,” Mattie said as she walked into the crowd. Two minutes later she was back and they both walked out into the parking lot.

“Nice car,” Alex said when he saw the beetle. He smiled as she rolled her eyes.

“Well Anna Lee doesn’t use it anymore since she has her son so they gave me a good deal on it.” Mattie said as she opened the passenger door and allowed him to put Evelyn in the back seat.

“There,” Alex said as he stood back up and stared at her. “You look nice… the red dress is just so beautiful on you.”

“Thanks,” Mattie said blushing as she heard him. “You don’t look bad yourself. I should get going… so I can come back.”

“Yeah…” Alex said as he watched her get in the driver’s side. He hesitated a minute but then he hopped in. “Do you mind? I just need to think…”

Mattie smiled nervously and began to drive… “I don’t think this is a good idea.” She finally said as she turned on a light.

“Why not? Are you afraid of me?” he asked giving her a grin. He could not help but grin and flirt with her.

Mattie laughed and then she became serious… “I’m not scared of you…I am afraid what people will think.”

“Fuck whatever anyone says…” Alex said as he saw the house come into sight.

“Wait here,” Mattie said as she parked the car and carefully carried a sleeping Evelyn inside.

Alex waited patiently and ten minutes later came out Mattie. “Everything ok?” he asked as she turned the car on and began to back away.

“Well not really but I am not here for them so fuck them…. Didn’t you just suggest that to me?” Mattie said arching her eyebrow at him.

Alex smiled and laughed… “Yes I did. Where are we heading to now?”

“To the wedding hellooo?” Mattie said making him a silly face.

“Wait can you just make a quick stop at the bar?” Alex asked as he saw that it was close by.

“For what?” Mattie said as she made an unexpected u turn to go back to the bar.

“It’s a surprise…” Alex said as he smiled at her.

“You didn’t take Brian and Leighanne there present yet?” Mattie asked as she neared the closed bar only for today.

Alex only shrugged and took out the keys to bar as she parked in the empty parking lot. “I’ll be right back,” he said as he got out and walked toward the bar.

Mattie sighed and waited patiently for Alex to come out but after ten minutes she just had enough waiting and she had to hurry him up. She cursed as she almost lost her balance with a hole on the pavement as she walked toward the bar. The door was open so she walked through the open door… all the lights were off except for the office light. “Alex?”

“Alex? Seriously where the hell are you?” she asked as she began to walk toward the office. She could feel that she was being watched and couldn’t help but turn around to check and screamed when she saw Alex right behind her. “Shit! Alex…” she was about to say something more but her mouth got busy with Alex’s.

Alex kissed her passionately and he couldn’t stop. “Shh…” he whispered to her as he began to kiss her neck. His plan had worked he had lied about getting something but her knew she would soon come to check on him since he was taking long.

“Alex what are you doing?” Mattie asked in haggard breaths. She wanted to stop him but she couldn’t and before she knew what was happening he was carrying her toward the office her dress already unzipped and was quickly tossed on the floor.

“I love you… I can’t and haven’t been able to be with Sharon. I loathe her and the only thing keeping there by her side is my son. I can take care of her and still be with you…” he said as he caressed her body. “Please… I need you.” he whispered as he took her mouth.

Mattie knew this was wrong but it felt so right and for that moment she was going to enjoy it.

*******

Mattie kissed Alex one more time as she fixed her hair. “I need more lip gloss.” She said as she looked at herself on the mirror. She had just parked back at the hotel where the wedding was taking place.

“You look fine,” Alex said as he kissed her shoulder. “I can’t live without you.”

“Alex…” Mattie said eyeing him. “I can’t deny that I need you too… but both of us right now can’t be doing this. Remember you promised…”

“I won’t see you as my mistress Mattie. Because I am not with Sharon like that, but if you want to continue to see each other in secret I promised I would do it.” Alex said a little wary.

“Alex its best that we do because I know Sharon will take your son away if not and I might loose Evelyn.” She kissed his cheek, “Lets get back inside… maybe you should go in first. I’ll wait a few minutes before I go in.”

“Fine,” Alex sighed kissing her one more time. “I love you.”

*******

Mattie walked in and quickly spotted Nick and Heather. “Hey sorry I took long but Evelyn didn’t want to let me go.” she lied as Heather gave her a look.

“Well no worries we’ve been dancing like crazy!” Heather said as she looked at Mattie and then she looked over at Alex who kept looking toward them.

“That’s good… so have they cut the cake?” Mattie asked as she again messed with her hair.

“Yep I’ll get you a piece,” Nick said as he patted her shoulder. “You look flushed you ok?”

“Yeah… I am fine.” Mattie said smiling nervously. “It’s just a little humid and hot…”

“Ok I’ll be right back,” Nick said as he walked away.

Mattie looked toward Alex who was looking at her. She smiled at him and he grinned back. What had she gotten herself into?
Chapter End Notes:
OK yay another chapter... hope you like it and let me know what you think..