- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
OK so I had said I would not update soon... but it turns out my brain keeps coming back to this story...so I guess that means I am going to probably finish this one first.
“Well think of this way baby,” Alex said as he reread the letter from the courthouse. “I’ll be able to be there then because Landon will be born by then.”

“Landon,” Mattie repeated the name. “I just can’t believe they postponed my hearing till March! That means I have to continue to have joint custody with mother till then.”

“Awe babe you’ll be fine and time will go by fast I promise.” He said as he leaned in to kiss her.

Mattie kissed him back and soon forgot all about the horrible letter as she began to feel his touch. “Don’t you have to go soon to that appointment with Sharon?” she asked as she pulled away to smile at Alex’s pout.

“Yeah…” he stood up and pulled her with him. “I will see you tomorrow? Same time?”

“Yes,” she said giving him a devious smile.

********

“Mattie?”

“Yes,” Mattie said as she answered her phone.

“It’s Sam,” her brother said in a worried tone.

“I know who you are Sam… I know you voice. What’s wrong?” Mattie asked as she realized Sam would not call just to say hello.

“Fuck, Listen it’s Evelyn she fell of the roof and we are in the emergency room with her. She was not breathing…” Sam said holding himself from freaking out.

“What do you mean she fell off the roof?” Mattie said as she put her car in reverse and then making a U turn as she exited the parking lot to Lake Okeechobee’s marina. “Just I’m on my way…” Mattie let out a sob and quickly she dialed Alex’s number.

The phone rang but was sent straight to voicemail. “Fuck!” she yelled as she began to dial again and she began to cry. “Nick?” she asked as he answered.

“Yeah what’s wrong Mattie?”

“It’s Evelyn she’s in the hospital…” She managed to say before she began to cry even harder.

“I’ll meet you there…just calm down Mattie.” Nick said as he heard her continuous sobs.
Mattie hung up and drove as fast as she could she sighed when she saw Clewiston General Hospital ahead. She didn’t care where she parked she just parked and ran to the hospital. “How is she?” Mattie asked as she saw her family all quietly standing around in the waiting room.

“They are treating her they won’t anyone back there,” Ricky said angrily as he hugged his mother.

Mattie sighed and wiped her eyes, “How did this happen?” Mattie asked to no one in particular.

“She was playing with Josie’s kids and she slipped…” Sam said from where he sat.

“What the hell were they doing playing on the roof?” Mattie asked as she gave a glare to Josie who was quietly sitting down.

“I don’t know Mattie kids do that they like to play with fire!” Josie said defensively.

“That’s why we have discipline Josie…” Mattie said as she slid down the wall onto the floor. “I can’t believe this…. if something happens to her you all are responsible! I will make sure that you all…” she stopped talking when she heard Nick’s voice.

“Mattie?” Nick said stopping right in front of her. “How is she?”

“I don’t know yet,” Mattie said looking up at him. “You want me to ask?”

“Uh, hello what are we? We are waiting on the doctor to come back… she is in the OR.” Ricky said defensively. “See you were right Ma she has a new boyfriend…”

Mattie glared at Ricky and without warning she was up and right in front of his face, “Fuck you! he’s not my boyfriend and if he was so what? Are you jealous I actually can get a boyfriend without sweating? Poor you only having momma to go to after every rejection.” She punched him right in the jaw. “You don’t have a right to judge me!”

“You little,” Ricky said as his hand went to his jaw. He went forward to grab Mattie but before he could Nick was in the middle looking at him seriously.

“No man you don’t hit women,” Nick said as he took Mattie’s arm and began to walk away. “You ok? Is your arm hurting?”

“I’m fine… sorry about that my brother is just such a jerk.” Mattie said as they walked down another hall.

“Hey it’s fine…. I know what you’re going through and I know that was one hell of a punch.” Nick said giving her a little smirk.

Mattie laughed a little and hugged Nick. “Thanks for coming you have no idea how happy I am you’re here.” She kissed his cheek and continued to hug him.

“Hey I told you I would be here for you waiting for you to realize that I am the one for you.” Nick said as he hugged her closing his eyes as he inhaled the smell of her shampoo.

“Mattie?” Alex said as he recognized her. Sharon was by his side taking his arm in hers when she realized who was there.

Mattie stopped hugging Nick and wiped her eyes clearing her throat, “Yeah,” she said giving him a little smile.

“What are you doing here?” Alex asked trying to not show just how pissed he was that Nick was hugging his girlfriend.

“It’s Evelyn she had an accident and now she is in the OR and I don’t know anything else…” She said as she began to cry.

Nick was having a staring contest with Alex as he reached and wrapped his arm around her. “Let’s go see if we can find out more,” Nick said as he continued to eye Alex.

“Well… she is a pretty active child and probably pretty spoiled.” Sharon said as she glared at Mattie.

“Sharon…” Alex said tearing his eyes off Nick to give Sharon a look. “She will be fine b…” he stopped himself from saying baby and cleared his throat. “Evelyn is a strong little girl.”

“I hope so…” Mattie said ignoring the look from Sharon. “I think I should go check maybe they know something by now.” She looked up at Nick who only nodded.

Mattie walked away but not before giving Alex a look that told him she needed him. “Come on let’s get you home…” Alex told Sharon. He would come back as soon as he dropped Sharon home.

********

“Evelyn?” Mattie said as she walked into the room where she lay.

“Aunt Mattie,” Evelyn said giving her a weak smile.

“Oh sweets look at you? You’re such a brave little girl.” Mattie said as she kissed her forehead. “How are you feeling?”

“A little dizzy but I am fine…except for this and the stitches on my head.”

“I see you got a purple cast… you favorite color.” Mattie said as she took a seat beside her. “You’re going to go stay with me after you get out from here…”

“Really?” Evelyn asked a small smile forming on her face.

“Yep,” Mattie said trying not to cry. “I won’t have it any other way.”

“Hey Mattie,” Sam said walking in. “You have company.”

“Who?” Mattie asked remembering that only Nick was there.

“Some guy named Brian and his wife and Alex.” Sam said as he approached the bed smiling at his niece. “Hey Evs how are you feeling? Grandma wants to see you…”

“OH,” Mattie cleared her throat. “Hey Evelyn I am going to go see them real quick and see if they want to come and say hello. Why don’t you see grandma for now?”

“Ok,” Evelyn said. “Just make sure they do come in here and see me ok?”

“Ok I will.” Mattie said smiling at her before she walked out to bump into Nick. “Oh hey.”

“How is she?” Nick asked as he wiped away the tear that fell down her face.

“She is Evelyn… she is happy about staying with me.” Mattie said as she began to walk toward the waiting room. She didn’t even acknowledge her family that walked by her to get to Evelyn’s room. She smiled a little when she saw her friend even Heather standing there.

“Mattie,” Heather said running up to her hugging her. “Are you ok? How’s Evelyn when Alex called the bar and told me I had to get here pronto.”

Mattie hugged Heather back she was the only part of her old life she had. “She will be fine just has a broken arm and nineteen stitches with a bad concussion.”

Brian cleared his throat and he approached her giving her a small smile. “Everything will be fine sweetheart we’ve been praying for her… right baby?” he asked Leighanne who approached her too. She looked like she had been crying too.

“Yes,” Leighanne said hugging Mattie.

“Mattie you should eat something,” Nick said from behind her.

“I’m not hungry Nick, but I bet you are its nine in the morning. You should go eat something and go home. You need to rest you’ve stayed here with me last night.” Mattie said as she patted Nicks shoulder.

“I’m not that tired, it’s Saturday anyway it’s not like I have to go to work. I’ll just go get a coffee from the cafeteria. Want one? Anyone?” he asked in politeness as he glared at Alex who was still just standing there in silence.

“No thank you,” Leighanne and Brian said.

“I’ll go with you,” Heather said as she began to walk.

“Ok,” Nick said as he looked at Mattie. “I’ll be right back ok?”

Mattie nodded and sighed as she saw them walk away. “Thanks for coming Evelyn wants to see you all.”

“Oh well we can’t wait to see her.” Leighanne said as she looked at Alex. “Bri why don’t we go get Evelyn a teddy bear or something from that little store we came across earlier?”

“Ok,” Brian said getting the hint.

Mattie sighed as she saw them walk away and then she was startled when she felt Alex’s arms wrap around her. She began to cry again and hugged him back. She breathed in his scent as she cried.

“Everything will be fine baby,” Alex whispered into her ear. “I know it will…”

“I need a cigarette,” She mumbled and smiled as she heard him chuckle.

“Come on,” Alex said pulling her to the nearest exit.

Mattie shut her eyes as the sun hit her face but she allowed Alex to pull her finally they found a secluded place and she smiled as Alex lit a cigarette for her. “Enjoy.”

Mattie took the cigarette smiling as her lungs were hit with the nicotine. God she hated not being able to have one of these… but today she just had to have one. “God I am in heaven,” She said as she exhaled.

Alex only smiled at her and watched her finish her smoke. “So you’re back to square one… trying to quit again.”

“I will I just needed one today…” She told him as she stomped on the cigarette butt on the pavement. She turned and smiled at him, “I need you so much right now and to think we can’t be together like we want too.”

“We can…” Alex was beginning to say when Mattie’s lips crashed into his.

Mattie smiled as she saw Alex’s reaction to her kiss. He was still breathing slowly and his eyes were closed his mouth partly opened… “We can not yet, I am glad you’re here though.” She told him.

Alex opened his eyes and sighed heavily. “I love you.”

“I do to,” Mattie said as she began to walk. “We should head back in.”

Alex followed her in silence… as soon as they walked in they saw Nick and Heather were back with coffee. “I hate him,” he whispered to himself as he saw Nick give Mattie a coffee and tended to her attentively.

“Thanks,” Mattie said as she took a drink. “I really think you should go home and rest…”

“I’m fine Mattie,” Nick said giving her a smile as he put a strand of her hair behind her ear. He couldn’t help but smile when he saw the look on Alex’s face. “I am here for you.”

“Mattie,” Alex said clearing his throat as he gave Nick the glare of death. “Do you think I could see Evelyn? I kind of have to be back to take Sharon to another appointment at her clinic though.”

“Uhm,” Mattie cleared her throat and looked at Alex. “Yeah let me just check if my family can get out so you can see her.” Mattie said as she walked away.

It hadn't taken Mattie more than five minutes when she came back to Heather hold onto Nick and Brian holding Alex. “Ok what have I missed?” She asked a little confused.

“Nothing,” Nick said pulling away from Heather’s grip. “I just hurt someone’s ego a little.”

“My ego?” Alex said still glaring at him. “Please… I am not the one trying to take something that does not belong to you!”

Nick glared at him and then he smirked, “Feeling threatened? If you’re so sure about what you have are you suddenly scared.”

Mattie closed her eyes in frustration as she realized what was going on. “For fucks sakes… we’re in a hospital for one and two… Nick and I are nothing he knows this.” she glared at Nick then glared at Alex. “Three… you should know that don’t you trust me?”

“Yes… it’s him I don’t trust.” Alex said looking at Mattie. He couldn't because guilt swept over him as he remembered what had happened with Sharon... It had been a moment of weakness but still it had happened and now he didn't know what to think. He didn't want to think Mattie would be like him but yet he still felt jealous. He knew he still had to tell Mattie about that night.

“Fine you know what? Go both of you go… I don’t want to you see you or him in a very long time!” Mattie said angry and walked away.

******
Chapter End Notes:
hehe... more drama. I would love to see feedback. :)