- Text Size +
“So you’re a first timer I am assuming?” the stranger said taking a seat next to Alex.

“Yeah…” Alex said smiling timidly at the tall man.

“Well it’s not that bad for us anyway… are you going to be in the delivery room?”

“I – don’t know?” Alex said with a doubtful look.

“It’s the best experience yet it is very graphic my respects to my wife… I was there when my son Mason was born… man!” he rolled his eyes a little.

Alex laughed a little and then he looked at the little boy playing, “Is that him?”

“Yep, number two is on the way. I’m Kevin by the way. So much for Thanksgiving being about grubbing… hospital food is horrible.” He extended his hand toward Alex.

“Alex, I didn’t have much plans anyway… my mother lives in Texas now my only family aside from the one coming.” he said taking his hand and shaking it.

Just then a nurse came out, “Mr. McLean?”

“Yes,” Alex said standing up and walked up to the nurse.

“The doctor would like to see you sir,” she told him as they began to walk down the hall.

Three minutes later he was in an office waiting for the doctor. He was now nervous he didn’t know what to expect and he had really freaked out when Sharon had called him.

“Mr. Mclean,” came the voice of an elder man as he walked in.

“Yes, is the baby ok?” Alex asked as he followed the doctor with his gaze.

“He’s fine; I called you in here because I have a concern over your wife.”

Alex rolled his eyes when he heard the doctor say wife, “not my wife…” Alex said as he continued to stare.

“Ok … I do apologize. Mr. McLean what Ms. Hatcher experienced is called Braxton Hicks it is common on pregnant women.”

“Braxton what?” Alex asked looking a little confused.

“Braxton Hicks… its false labor symptoms.”

“You mean she really isn’t in labor?” Alex asked.

“Exactly, she is fine now and I am sending her home today… but I have a little concern. The baby does seem a little stressed and I believe it’s her she is causing it. She has complained that she feels neglected and her heart rate is not looking well. I need to ask you to be more attentive to her, make her feel wanted; I know that you are excited about your son but remember that Ms. Hatcher needs some attention as well. I did give her some iron pills because her iron was low make sure she takes them.”

“Ok,” Alex agreed and sighed as he realized what he had been told.

********

“How do I look Aunt Mattie?” Evelyn said as she walked to the kitchen.

“You look very pretty,” Mattie said as she finished wrapping aluminum foil on her pumpkin pie. “Ready?”

“Yes… I hope grandma still made my mom’s favorite gravy not the other one.”

“I am sure she did the right gravy…” Mattie said as she looked at herself one more time on the reflection from the oven. She looked descent and she was covering most of her tattoos. She sighed in frustration when her phone began to ring.

“Brian?” she asked as she answered it.

“Yep the missus here wanted me to call you and invite you over for Thanksgiving. She cooked and I can tell you it is all very delicious well it smells divine.” Brian said in a chipper mood.

“Awe Bri,” Mattie said biting her lip. “I kind of already told mom I was going home for Thanksgiving but… I stop by after over there I promise.” She told him as she winked at Evelyn who was jumping with excitement wanting to go to Brian’s house as well.

“All right I will hold you to it, we can have a nice drink and just talk. Leighanne wants to see you and Evelyn.” Brian said.

“Ok see you there, I have to go but thanks for the invitation.”

“Hey you should have known I would invite you. Heather is coming over to eat before going to work… I am surprised she didn’t tell you.”

Mattie bit a little harder on her lip tasting blood when she heard Brian, “Yeah I haven’t been talking to her lately with Evelyn being here and her working it’s been rare when we actually get to see each other. I am also very busy at work, I enrolled to tutor kids on Saturday mornings and well you get the picture.” Mattie said letting out a small giggle.

“Yeah I do Ms. Benson…” Brian laughed. “Ok I’ll let you go then and see you here later.”

“Yeah later,” Mattie said hanging up. “Ok let’s go sweets.”

Forty five minutes later Mattie was parking at her mother’s house. She gave a heavy sigh as she looked to the back where Evelyn had fallen asleep. “Evelyn sweetie,” Mattie said gently tapping her knee.

“Are we here yet?” Evelyn asked as she yawned and rubbed her eyes with her good hand.

“Yep we are here.” Mattie said as she gave herself a once over on the mirror of her car.

“You look pretty aunt Mattie.” Evelyn said as she climbed to the front seat and out the door.

Mattie laughed a little trying to calm her nervousness. How was she going to pretend to be ok with her family when in reality they weren’t even getting along? They hated each other, but it was Thanksgiving and it was all about family. Even if you hated yours.

“You made it,” Sam said startling Mattie who was taking her time into the house.

“Yeah,” Mattie said eyeing her brother who was sitting alone on the porch. “I made a pie,” she told him giving him a small smile.

“Pumpkin?” Sam asked as he eyed the pie.

“Yep… I always made the best pumpkin pies.” Mattie said shrugging.

“Yeah you did,” Sam said just as one of Josie’s kids came out running. “Justin take that pie inside tell grandma your aunt Mattie is here.” He commanded to the young boy who looked annoyed at the request but still did as was told.

“Well someone got mad,” Mattie said as the boy rolled his eyes and walked back inside the house. “Did Evelyn go in already?”

“Yep… she went to get my magic cards.” Sam said scooting over so Mattie could sit by him.

“Oh no,” Mattie said smiling.

“I don’t hate you…” Sam said getting right to the point. “I never thought you would be a bad guardian for Evelyn. I believe just like Emmy that you will make one hell of a good mother for her. Mom just… she feels like she should have been the right choice for Evelyn, she is a mom and so she thinks she deserves it. Mom loves you Mattie she does… she worries for you just as much as she does for everyone else.”

Mattie snorted at Sam’s comment and then sighed heavily, “I love her too… it’s a love hate relationship… I know she wants the best for Evelyn, but I know I can be good.”

“I know you can,” Sam said wrapping his arm around Mattie. “But thank you….” he said smiling at her.

“For what?” she asked as she leaned into her brother.

“For punching the crap out of Ricky… that was priceless.” Sam said chuckling.

“What was priceless,” Rick said walking onto the porch.

“Nothing,” Sam said looking up at Ricky. “How’s the jaw man?”

“Fuck you,” Ricky said walking right back inside.

“Such a drama queen.” Sam said laughing. “So are we cool? I miss you Mattie, I miss your wacky emails at least. I am neutral I have no sides on this whole debacle so don’t give me the cold shoulder you understand?”

“You’re Switzerland?” Mattie asked chuckling realizing she was quoting Bella Swan.

“I guess you can say that,” Sam said knowing why she was laughing. “I just finished Breaking Dawn. My ex girlfriend got me into the books… shh don’t tell anyone about that though.”

“Awe so no marriage number two?” Mattie asked.

“Nope I don’t think I am getting married anymore…” Sam said rolling his eyes.

“Aunt Mattie?” Evelyn said coming out to the porch. “Pick a card…”

“Oh no,” Mattie said with a face of horror as she picked a card.

********

“It’s so late,” Mattie said as she rang the doorbell to Brian’s house.

“Hey you! You made it please come on in.” Brian said with a big smile.

Mattie knew Brian well enough to know Brian was tipsy. “Thanks,” she said as she and Evelyn walked into the house. “Where’s everyone?”

“Well Heather left back to the bar,” Brian said as he signaled them to follow him.

“Are you serious do you have customers on Thanksgiving?” Mattie asked.

“You’d be surprised…” Brian said as they walked out the patio where Leighanne and Dan from the restaurant along with Alex and Sharon all sat drinking… well except for Sharon who had fruit in her hand.

She had totally forgot that Alex would be invited but it was ok she could handle it. “Hello,” Mattie said in general as she got closer to them.

“Hey you made it,” Leighanne said as she handed her a frozen margarita. “Now look at you, you’ve grown.” She told Evelyn as she hugged her.

“I am going to be six soon,” Evelyn said excited. “I told aunt Mattie I didn’t want a party though I just want to go on a boat… on SS Matilda!” she said excitedly as he ran to Alex’s side and gave him a hug.

“OH that does sound nice we could go fishing.” Brian said eyeing Alex who was hugging Evelyn back.

“I can arrange something,” Alex said smiling and then he gave Mattie a stare that spoke thousands of words.

“I don’t know honey I mean after the scare we had today I might need to be at home bed rest,” Sharon said as she eyed Evelyn.

“You don’t have to Alex Evelyn knows that and we could always go to the beach instead… or how about Disney? Your uncle Sean would love to see you.” she told Evelyn who was now comfortably sitting on Alex’s lap.

“If I don’t go I am sure Brian could Sail it right Bri, take Evelyn out into the lake.” Alex said with gritted teeth as he glared at Sharon.

“Yeah I can do that,” Brian said making devious face. “So when is your birthday?” he asked Evelyn.

“December second,” Evelyn said with a smile on her face then she turned to Alex. “You have to go Alex…. and Sharon you could use a tan.”

“Its December, it might even rain and be cold.” Sharon said looking at Evelyn with envy.

“We will hope for a sunny day… its Florida for crying out loud.” Dan finally spoke as he finished his drink.

********

“Hey stranger,” Heather said as Nick approached the bar taking a seat on a stool. “What can I get for you?”

“Something strong,” He said giving her a smirk.

“Ok I just know what you’ll like,” Heather said as she began to prepare his drink. “It works for me all the time. What brings here? You do know who owns this place right?” She arched her brow as she looked at him.


“Eh, fuck him,” Nick said as he took the glass from her hand smelling it. “Thanks,” Nick said taking a swig.

Heather laughed when Nick made a face and then looked at her in surprise, “What the hell is that?” he asked as he took another swig.

Heather shrugged and then smiled… “Its good right it catches you off guard, I invented I call it “Caught in the act” cause that’s the feeling you get when you get caught having sex in the wrong place at the wrong time.” she smirked at him and laughed at his look.

“You would come up with something like that,” Nicks said giggling at her as he finished his concoction… “Can I have another one?”

“Another “caught in the act” coming up,” Heather said as she began to mix in the liquors. “Now easy though if not you might end up not being able to drive home… then who will take you?”

Nick shrugged and gave her a sly move, “I don’t plan on going home alone,” he said as he looked around the bar it was pretty busy. “That girl over there looks pretty lonely.”

Heather laughed, “I bet you will get turned down and what happened with trying to win Mattie’s heart?”

“That crashed and burned… I have to move on,” he said a little resentful.

“So are we on?” Heather asked eyeing the blonde Nick had pointed out.

“Deal you buy me a drink for me and her if I win if not….” He turned to look at her with a quizzical brow.

“Hmm…I’ll let you know once I win.” Heather smirked as she handed Nick another drink.

Nick took it and in one swig downed the drink, “Watch and learn.” He winked at Heather who only smiled at him.

*******

“Thanks again,” Mattie said as she hugged Brian. “I’ll call you when I get home. I can’t believe its one a.m. good thing tomorrow there is no school.”

Mattie drove in silence as Evelyn slept in the back. She had been quite nice today with Sharon always saying something smart.

She had a good time though especially when she would catch Alex staring at her and when he would give her his devious smile. God she wished she could just go up to him and kiss but she knew better. She would have thought she would have felt bad being around Sharon… but she didn’t because she had finally realized that Sharon was not a nice person and she sort of felt bad that Alex was stuck with her around since she was having his baby. Why could it have been her having his baby?

As for her family well aside from Sam it went all quiet and not much was talked about. She had managed to stay there till late why Evelyn and the kids all showed them magic tricks. After rushing to Brian’s house everything got a little better except for Sharon’s existence.

Finally she arrived at her house and was a little surprised to see Nick’s car in the driveway. By now it was ten till two in the morning. She hoped he hand been waiting her for her because she was in no mood to talk to him.

After struggling with Evelyn’s sleeping body she made to the front of her house. The lights were off and no sign of Nick on the front so she shrugged it off and opened her door. It wasn’t till after she had finished putting Evelyn to bed and she got ready for bed that she decided to go check on Heather.

As she slowly opened the door to Heather’s room she had to cover her mouth as she saw Nick and Heather fast asleep on her bed. But the room showed evidence about what had occurred. She left the room with a smile on her face… had Nick finally noticed Heather? She was happy right? She was happy for Heather... She was?
Chapter End Notes:
Ok... here is another chapter. I would love to read your opinion... and hehe it is getting close to the big shocker!! haha...oh and I promise Alex and Mattie will be together soon... :)