- Text Size +
“Hey,” Nick said popping into Mattie’s classroom.

“Oh hey Nick,” Mattie said smiling as she stopped grading the papers in front of her.

“I was just passing by and saw that you were still in here.” He said smiling at her.

“Yeah I have to finish grading today because I am leaving out of town for the weekend. I am going to see my brother in Orlando give him the invitation to my wedding.” Mattie said blushing a little as she looked at the diamond ring in her left hand.

“Orlando…nice you going to Disney?” he asked.

“Yeah Alex wants us to go with Evelyn since we are going to be over there anyways.” Mattie said smiling at the mention of her fiancé.

“I’m glad you’re happy.” Nick said smiling at her. “You really do deserve to be happy. Listen,” he cleared his throat. “I want to ask you something, I was thinking and I wanted to ask Heather to move in with me but I don’t know if I should do you think she will?”

Mattie chuckled and then smiled, “I think she is more than ready to do such step. You know she has definitely changed since you two...you know.” Mattie said.

********

Mattie sighed as she walked into the restaurant smiling when Brian saw her. “Hey is Leighanne here?” she asked.

“Yep in the back,” Brian said walking up to her and hugging her. “Have cold feet yet?” he asked as he hugged her.

“No not yet,” Mattie said hugging him back.

“Mattie,” Leighanne said walking out. She hugged her too, “Glad you came I just want you to see the flower arrangements I picked. I took pictures come on.” She said taking her hand and pulling her to the back of the restaurant where the office was.

“Brian when Alex gets here just tell him we’re in the back.” Mattie said as she followed Leighanne.

“I will.” Brian said as he chuckled and went back to work.

*******

“How was work?” Alex asked bringing Mattie back from her trance.

“Good I finished grading everything so I don’t have to worry about it this weekend.” She said as she continued to eye the invitation in her hand. It was very simple yet very elegant the ivory and black blending in perfectly.

“They came out nice huh? Only Leighanne could pull that off in such short notice.” He said as he eyed her hands. He smiled and leaned in to kiss her cheek, “you ok?”

“Yeah, it’s just I’m nervous I don’t know how I am going to ask Sean to walk me down the isle.” Mattie biting her lip as she laughed nervously.

“It will be fine babe I am sure he will be honored. I am sure your mother has already told him about the wedding either way. I am scared he might hate me for telling your mother off.” Alex said taking her hand in his as he drove toward his future mother in law’s house to pick up Evelyn.

******

January 14, 2011
Time: 6:00pm
Location: In Alex’s car barely leaving Clewiston our destination? Orlando.
Emotion: Nervous…

Everything is happening so quick, I can’t believe Leighanne already has the invitations and the place. I still am procrastinating on the dress. Alex isn’t pressuring me either but he has asked me twice if I have found one. I know I will find it soon… maybe in Orlando I will.

I have this wedding coming and I know I said I liked the idea having no say in it. I do but, it seems Leighanne still seems to find a way for me to agree or give my opinion on the wedding. She has been on the phone non stop with Anna Lee who is I think more excited them me about this wedding. Maybe I should have told Alex to just pick day for us to head to Las Vegas and elope.

Yeah elope, that way I won’t have time to think and have the feeling of running away. I do love Alex and I know I have always had profound feelings for him but yet my stubborn and rebel side tells me I am moving to fast. I am fucking thirty though I think its about time I settle. Besides if I am going to get knocked up by Alex it would be more morally right for us to be married, make it official in everyone’s eyes.

I sound harsh sometimes don’t I? Crap… Maybe its just the pre wedding jitters and then I am stressing because I have been secretly going crazy with home pregnancy tests. Nothing. So far nothing I know its soon but still I bet if I would have been seventeen and having unprotected sex with Alex I would have gotten knocked up on the first try just my type of luck. But now that I want to its just taking for ever…ok maybe I am exaggerating there. I mean we’ve only been having sex non stop all this week. Well we’re not at work and stuff.
God I really need to calm down yet what if I can’t get pregnant? What if my eggs are no longer good? I probably took to long in deciding to get pregnant and now my eggs are worth shit. I am really loosing it here and now that I am actually here writing this I am now panicking I don’t have a DRESS! Not that I want an over the top Cinderella dress…nope not me. I just want something simple and that describes me.

Alex loves me for who I am and I bet he wouldn’t care if my dress was black. Its not like I could wear white that would be one heck of a big lie…we won’t go there. I guess I could ask my brother’s wife to help me by going shopping with me in Orlando. I am sure I can find something there. Maybe I should go Alex keeps looking at me with curious eyes. Man I have to make sure he NEVER gets a hold of you. (Note to self once every page is full I will burn you.)

Mattie.

PS sorry but all evidence must be destroyed.

******

“About time,” Alex said smiling at his fiancée who finally had put away her journal. “You feeling better?”

“Yeah…that helped.” She lied as she looked behind her to see a sleeping Evelyn.

“Maybe I should try to do one of those.” Alex said giving her a lopsided smile. “Hey do you want to write your own vows?”

Mattie’s eyes went wide at his question, “Our own vows? Isn’t it to late I mean will you be able to come up with your vows with only weeks to our wedding?” she asked hoping he would panic and scratch that idea off.

“I already have it in here,” Alex said pointing to his head and then heart. “I told you Mattie I been ready to marry for so long I’ve had enough time to perfect what I would tell you that day while you are in front of me…”

Mattie felt her heart skip a beat, Alex was so romantic sometimes. She loved him even more for that, “Ok,” Mattie said leaning in to kiss him and giggled when he sort of swirled. “Ok maybe I’ll kiss you later.”

“Yeah good idea… so we will say our own vows.” His smile widen as he concentrated on the road.

******

“Uncle Sean,” Evelyn said as she hopped off the SUV and into her uncle’s arms.

“Hey sweets,” Sean said trying not to get emotional as she saw her. She was looking like Emmy everyday even more. “Why don’t you go inside your cousins are waiting for you and they have a very late birthday present for you.”

“Ok,” Evelyn said running in.

“Hey,” Mattie said as she walked up to him. She sighed as she felt his embrace, “How are you?”

“Good you know working like always. Why don’t you tell Alex to get off no need for you to have him wait. Mom told me about him going over to ask for you hand.” He chuckled and that’s all it took for Mattie to know he was fine with it.

She waved Alex to get off and he did, “He loves you for standing up to mom.” Mattie told Alex as he walked up to them.

“Yeah, I do.” Sean said as he extended his hand to Alex and then surprised him by giving him a hug. “So you finally got her to marry you… eleven years later but hey you finally got her.”

Alex nodded and laughed nervously, “Patience is a virtue.”

“Hey my props to you for that…so when is this wedding?” Sean asked as he opened the door for them to go in.

“Actually that’s why we came…” Mattie said as she entered his house. She smiled as she could hear her sister in law hard at work in the kitchen. “It smells delicious!” she yelled and smiled when she heard a thank you.

“Ok well spill it already.” Sean said as he took a seat on his lazy boy seat. He smiled as Mattie and Alex took the love seat.

“First,” Mattie said taking out the invitation and handing it to him. She smiled as she watched her brother open it and read it. She turned red when he saw his eyes pop.

“That’s in a few weeks…wow.” Sean said looking up at them. “But, I’ll make the arrangements needed to be there.”

“Yeah about that,” Mattie said turning redder… “I wanted to ask you to walk me down the isle? It would mean the world to me if you did...”

“Gosh Mattie I’m honored but wouldn’t Ricky be a better choice he is the eldest.”

“Ricky hates me and he hates Alex, come on Sean please.” Mattie said a little hurt by his answer.

“I would love to walk you down the isle Mattie. Count me in…” he said as he saw how important this was for Mattie.

“Do you know if mom is going?” Mattie asked curiously.

“I don’t know she never says much to me about you unless she wants to get me to be mad at you. Did you send her an invitation?”

“Yes we did.” Alex said as he took Mattie’s hand in his. She looked sad he understood her though that was her mother no matter what.

“Hey!” Tanya said walking in and going straight to hug Mattie and then Alex. “Congratulations when is the wedding?”

“Valentines day,” Sean said smiling at his wife.

“Wow so soon, I can’t wait… well come on now lets go eat I made dinner because Sean told me you were coming. He didn’t tell me your fiancé was coming that’s a surprise he’s very handsome.” She said smiling at Alex.

“I’m right here Tanya,” Sean said jokingly. Everyone laughed as the walked to the dinner table.

Maybe everything was going to be fine…
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the long wait to update but here is the next chapter hope you like and as always I would love your feedback. :)