- Text Size +
“Cleo stop!” Mattie said laughing as she saw the soapy dog run after Evelyn.

“Ew Cleo your wet,” Evelyn said giggling as Cleo licked her face. “Grandma?” Evelyn said as stared toward the street. A black Buick was parking.

“What is she doing here?” Mattie said a little surprised to see her mother. She took Cleo away from Evelyn and put her back on the leash. She hosed her down till she had no soap and Evelyn was up again jumping as she also got wet.

“Having fun sweetie?” she heard her mother ask Evelyn.

“Yes grandma! I love helping Aunt Mattie shower our dogs. What are you doing her grandma?” Evelyn asked as she walked toward her.

“I wanted to come by and talk to your auntie,” she said as she eyed her daughter. “Mattie we need to talk.”

“Fine,” Mattie said as she handed Evelyn a towel. “Evelyn go inside and put on some dry clothes.” She told her niece who pouted but obeyed. “Don’t let Rocky out,” she said as she saw her toward the door. “Ok talk,” Mattie said crossing her arms.

“I know you are angry me for everything I’ve caused, but you have to understand where I am coming from Mattie. I am a very precautious person and…” she stopped talking and swallowed hard. This was actually harder than she had thought it to be. “Nice ring,” she finally spoke as she the silver engagement ring on her left hand.

Mattie gazed down to her left hand and looked at the ring on her finger. “I know you did not come here to talk about my ring. To my knowledge you didn’t give a damn about my engagement.” She said bitterly finally finding a way to hide her ring.

“I do give a damn,” she said staring at her daughter. “I give a damn about everyone,” she sighed heavily. “Listen I know that since your father’s death I changed and sort of inclined my mother duties to your siblings that live here still. I know that was not right and trust me I am trying to work on that.”

“Good I hope you can overcome that, because whether you like it or not I love you. I don’t hate you either I just prefer to stay away from you. Mom I know I haven’t been the easiest child, but I can assure you that I still have my priorities set. Marriage was just put to the side when I left Florida.” Mattie said after hearing her mother. She felt sort of guilty about the way her mother was talking; it was not only her fault.

“I don’t want you to stay away from me Mattie. I love you too and that is why I came here.” She said breaking down and began to cry. She pulled out a yellow envelope from her purse and handed it to Mattie. “Here I wanted to personally give you this.”

“What is it?” Mattie asked taking it and right away opening it. She began to read it as her mother wiped away the tears coming down her face. “Mom…” Mattie whispered as tears began to fill her eyes. “Thank you.” She finally said and hugged her mother.

“You are going to be a great mother and I know Evelyn is in good hands. I just didn’t want to accept it then… I practically helped your sister raise her, I just assumed I would be the one to get custody of Evelyn, but right now when I saw how you are with Evelyn I understand why she chose you.”

“Mom… thank you so much.” Mattie said still hugging her.

“I can keep her though while Alex and you go on your honeymoon.”

“I don’t think we really have a honeymoon planned.” She told her mother.

********

“Alex!” Evelyn squealed as she ran to him. “Guess what?”

“What?” Alex asked as he carried her in her arms.

“I am going to stay with Aunt Mattie, forever!” she smiled as she took his sunglasses and put them on her.

“Yeah you are we are going to win this case,” Alex said laughing at her. “Nice you will make one pretty little Diva!”

“No silly my grandma just told Aunt Mattie she could keep me!” she said as she squirmed out of his grip and ran toward the back of the house.

Alex was a little confused with what Evelyn had said and so he followed her. He smiled as he saw Mattie and Louise Benson sitting in the lounge chairs laughing. He smiled as he saw Mattie's smile it was full of true happiness, he slowly walked toward the glass sliding doors.

“Mom you shouldn’t have, these are yours.” Mattie said as she looked at the black star sapphire earrings her mother had since she could remember. They had been in the family since back in the forties.

“None of your other sister’s will appreciate them as you would. I know your taste enough to know that you will wear them with pride and you will work them.”

Mattie laughed at her mother and looked at the earrings, “they will look perfect with my wedding gown.” She stopped talking when she saw Alex smiling as he watched her mother and her talking. “Alex,” she said smiling wider.

“Hey sweet heart,” Alex said walking up to her. He leaned down and kissed her softly and then he extended his hand to his future mother in law. “Mrs. Benson.”

“Alex nice to see you,” Louise said smiling at him.

“My mother came to give me this,” Mattie said handing him the envelope with the papers where her mother annulled her pursue to keep Evelyn in her custody and gave sole custody to Mattie.

“Yeah?” Alex said as he pulled out the papers and began to read. “Wow, thank you Mrs. Benson this is very modest of you. You have made Mattie and me happy; we do love Evelyn very much.”

“I know,” Louise said smiling at him warmly. “I owe an apology as well Alex for my rude behavior the other day.”

“It’s nothing I don’t even remember.” Alex said with a sincere tone. “I’ll leave you two to finish talking. I’ll be in the room,” He told Mattie winking at her as he shook Mrs. Benson’s hand one more time. “Oh and Mrs. Benson we hope to see you at the wedding.” He said before he walked inside.

*********

January 16, 2011
Time: 10:00pm
Location: my bedroom.
Emotion: content

Hi there so today has been one great day. My mother has given up on Evelyn she has stopped the whole custody battle. Evelyn is mine just like Emmy had intended it to be. Of course my mother has every right to see her whenever she wants. I am in a state of euphoria right now.

It feels like everything in my life is finally snapping back together the way it was suppose to be. I have a feeling that tonight we are making a baby as well. I wonder how everything went with Leighanne and her surprise. I know both her and Brian deserve this and I do have to admit I was a little harsh for even getting jealous at her.

But, I know I will get pregnant I just have keep being optimistic. Right now I am only going to bask on what I have gotten so far. I have a wonder fiancé who loves me and a very cute daughter. My mother is back in my life in a good way, so I know soon everything will be fine.

Have I mentioned to you that Nick and Heather have officially moved in together? I know? I would have never thought Heather would actually settle, but Nick is good for her. To think she had tried to sleep with my man!
Darn I have to go, we have to take advantage of a second we get to be alone. We want to make a baby here, so right now that Evelyn is fast asleep is the best time. I will talk to you later.

PS: Only thirty days till I become Mrs. McLean. Ooh talking about her, she will be here soon. I hope she still likes me.

Mattie.
Chapter End Notes:
Ok so my computer was out but my genius of a friend brought it back to life after only a couple of days!! yay. So i am back to updating so here is the next chapter this story hope you all like and please let me know what you think! Oh and thanks so Krystle for helping me out when I needed you... :)