- Text Size +
July 19, 2010
Time: 7:00am
Location: Lake Okeechobee, sitting on a dock.
Emotion: Way beyond PISSED!

Fuck man I could kill my mother! Wait scratch that no I couldn’t kill her literally but I want to! I should start by telling you why, as you can see by the date I didn’t get to tell you anything yesterday because I have been pissed since the reading of the will.

I left early to mothers because Evelyn had no clothes at the hotel with me. Upon arrival it looked like it would be a good day in the situation we were in but boy was I wrong! First my mother is mad about me taking Evelyn and then she is mad because I didn’t stay at the house. I tried to take it slowly and blow up because I knew as soon as this will was read I could head back home.

I decided to ride with Howard and Anna lee because they had a spacious SUV. Evelyn again insisted on coming with me and she had a fun ride playing with little James the only son my sister had. I was actually getting back to an ok mood with the conversation we had on the ride over to Palm Beach, Howard was doing great in his real-estate business and my sister still did not worry about working even in they way the economy was.

It all went down hill when we all sat in a large conference room my family and the Vanderbilt's. I almost laughed when I saw the lawyer realizing that only Emmy would pick such lawyer. He sat down and introduced himself and then he proceeded to the will.

As it went the house was to be sold and the money was to be put in an account for Evelyn’s college and money that was to be received from the insurance was to help with any expense needed for Evelyn’s needs. I was given my sister’s wardrobe because she said I lacked of femininity and her wardrobe should help. I was crying by then she still had her sense of humor in writing the will.

Bruce’s motorcycle was given to his father and more things were said. Then it came down to Evelyn to which the short lawyer sighed and took out a hand written letter. He explained that it was on the will but before he said who got custody of Evelyn he was told to read this letter written by Emmy and Bruce.

It was a very touching letter and it almost knocked me out of my chair. Especially after the very sweet introduction, where they made fun of there own death. After many explanations on how they narrowed it down to who would take Evelyn. He read the part of the letter that almost made me faint. It said:

We love all of you and we know that if Ma Louise got Evelyn it would be for her to start over again on taking her to school and soccer practice and all the activities kids want… so mom we know you wouldn’t mind but you have raised nine kids you deserve to rest for the rest of your life. As for Ma Betty we know how hard it has been for you after your cancer battle and even though your in remission we wouldn’t want for you to have to worry about everything Evelyn will be going through… mom this is Bruce you have to understand that I love you but you have to take care of yourself and dad needs to be there for you. That only leaves one person we have not mentioned… Mattie. Mattie I am sure right about now your wondering why well because as we thought about it and we did for a long time trust us and Mr. Barber knows. We came to the conclusion that as Evelyn’s godmother and that fact that we all know I am your favorite sister, you would be perfect for Evelyn. Evelyn has always had a special bond with you and she truly loves you because she says your different to her other aunties. I know it may come of shock to you because well I know I have always called you to just reprimand you for your very liberal life… but I know that if it came to it you would love and care for Evelyn just as much or more than me. Please take care of her and remind her how much life is worth…

I could not believe she had given me custody of Evelyn. I just didn’t expect it but then again I did cause its true me and Emmy were inseparable. To my dismay though my mother stood up and protested to the lawyer demanding that the custody be given to her or one of her married children. I looked at her hurt and asked her why? She just told me was not capable of raising a child!

So now we have a custody battle afloat and to my horrible dismay only Sean and Anna lee are on my side. Maybe she is right but my sister trusted me with Evelyn and I am one to not go down without a fight!

Shit all this has made want a drink, I’ll talk to you later.

Mattie

********

Mattie sighed heavily as she again parked her rental in the same bar she had just been in a couple of days back. She stopped to tie her shoe lace and adjusted her very tight skinny jeans. She finally walked into the skulls and bones, “One glass of Jack Daniels one ice,” please she said as she took a seat on the same stool she had the other night. She smiled as she got a glance of who she assumed was Brian’s butt.

“Mattie?” Alex said as he stood up form under the counter adjusting his pants.

“Alex,” Mattie said turning shades of red. “How are you?”

“I am good working, so one Jack Daniels coming up,” he said as he moved about as a bartender.

“Thanks,” Mattie said as she put her long bangs behind her ear. “So no Brian today?”

“Nope he’s at the restaurant today. Were you looking for him?” Alex asked as he handed her the glass.

“Uhm, not really it was just that I had seen him here the other night I didn’t know you guys rotated.”

“We don’t I just had something to take care of so I asked him to tend the bar.” Alex said as he watched her. “How’s your family?”

Mattie only grumbled and took a gulp of her drink, “peachy,” she said sarcastically.

“I assume that means things are not well.” Alex said bringing the bottle of Jack and pouring more in her glass.

“Thanks,” she told him smiling at him. “You look different,” she told him as she extended her hand and touched his now well trimmed beard.

“Should I take that as a compliment?” he arched his brow as he pulled out a glass for himself and pour some Jack for him.

“Yes, a compliment you definitely toned up and then all these tats.” She said chugging down the rest of her Jack. “More please,” she told him.

“I don’t know do you have a designated driver?” Alex said with a small smile playing on his lips.

“I can get one if I need too,” Mattie said pointing to her empty glass.

“Fine,” Alex said pouring her more. “Now back to the previous conversation I wouldn’t talk I see a quite a few tattoos on you too.”

Mattie shrugged and took a sip of her freshly poured drink. “Do you really need the glasses?” she asked him.

“Naw they just make me look cool,” Alex rolled his eyes. “Look at you your eyes look like they are about to start up a storm. Mattie what’s wrong?”

No sooner had he said it when the tears began to come down her face freely, Mattie sighed and wiped her cheeks. “Everything is wrong Alex, Emmy was not supposed to die and I wasn’t supposed to get custody of Evelyn. Now there’s this war against me… my mother wants to take her away from me.” she let out a sob.

Before realizing what he had done Alex was hugging her and she was crying her heart out. “Shh its ok… your strong Mattie and you deserve to get Evelyn… Emmy trusts you. I’m so sorry…” he held her tightly as she continued to sob her hot breath hitting his neck as she clung to him. He inhaled her aroma and she still smelled so good. This hug brought back so many memories.

*******

“Thanks for bringing me to the hotel.” Mattie said as she faced Alex. “I’m sorry for ruining your shirt.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said as he handed her the keys to her rental.

“How are you getting home?” Mattie asked as she took the keys.
“I texted Brian and he should be here soon, I’ll just wait in the lobby.” Alex said as they walked in.

“You don’t want to come up?” Mattie asked biting her lip why did that question sound to wrong in her head.

Alex smiled and laughed lightly as he saw the face Mattie had, “Yeah ok… if it won’t bother you.”

“No not at all,” Mattie said sighing relief that Alex had not taken her question the wrong way.

*******

“Yeah I remember that,” Mattie said laughing lightly about the memories both Alex and her were sharing with each other.

“Remember when I surprised Brian at basketball? He thought he was going to beat me and I surprised him beating his ass. You were making fun of him all the way home.” Mattie said laughing. She was having fun remembering her child hood.

“Yeah… so enough about the past.” Alex said as he finally felt comfortable enough to lay beside her on her bed. “How is Madison?”

“Great, I have my own apartment and a job at the University as an assistant to a literary professor who used to be my professor. I love the snow even if I do have to admit I do miss the sun once in a while. How about you?”

“Hmm, well I took a few semesters at a community college in Palm Beach for business administration with Brian and now we have a restaurant and a Bar.” Alex said all at one.

“I like the name of the bar,” Mattie said as she turned to the he side propping her head on her hand so she could see Alex. His shirt had risen and she could not help notice the tattoo on his belly button. “Nice,” she said pointing to it.

Alex blushed as he pulled down his shirt, “It was one of those stupid spur of the moment this things… it happened a long time ago.”

“I bet,” Mattie said giggle.

“Really it was don’t tell me you did not get one of your tattoos and then realized it was a stupid idea?” he asked as he faced her.

She only rolled her eyes and giggled more, “So how about kids? Do you have any?”

Alex laughed, “No… I haven’t found the one person I can look at and say yeah this is who I want to be the mother of my children. I do have this girlfriend though and we’ve been steady for over two years. I think its getting serious well till a couple of days earlier… when she called it off. She needs space,” he said rubbing the back of his neck. “You?”

“Nope single and free as a bird, but I do have Evelyn to fight for. I am going to make sure I do my best for her.” she sighed as she got her purse. “I need a smoke,” she said looking through her purse.

“Yeah me too,” Alex said and dug through his pockets and realizing he hadn't checked his phone to see if Brian was out there. “Shit, Brian.” He said as he saw the six missed calls and four text messages.

“What time is it?” Mattie asked looking at her watch. “No fucking way its past one in the morning, do you think he’s still out there waiting for you?”

“According to the last text message, hell no.” Alex said laughing a little.

“I’ll take you I am pretty sober by now,” Mattie said grabbing her keys.

*******

July 20, 2010
Time: 10:00am
Place: 2009 scion about to turn on car and head to look for a lawyer
Emotion: stressed and tired (I need to sleep more)

I will only write a little bit since I have to go look for a lawyer because the faster I do the sooner I can go on with my new life that will include my niece. After dropping of Alex at his house (long story will tell you later) and promising to bring Evelyn over so she could ride his boat to distract I left. He had given me the name of some lawyer his mother knew and now here I am on my way to see him.

I spoke to Evelyn she wants to see me, I told Sean I would go pick her later and she will spend the day with me. I know mom will have a cow but I don’t give a rat’s ass anymore. I feel like I am alone in this even if Sean and Anna lee are here for me. What can possibly make mother think I could not care for my niece.

I think she is angrier than Mrs. Vanderbilt, was I really that bad when I was younger? If I can remember correctly that was Josie the one the skipped and what not. I only stood for what I believed and I did sneak out once or twice with Alex but nothing happened those two times that is.

Maybe I am adopted and that’s why I get singled out. No I have my father’s eyes and my unfortunately my mother’s hips and butt. I want to comprehend why she is so mad with this decision I would never keep Evelyn away from her. I know she means a lot to mom, I might even consider moving back to Florida for Evelyn’s happiness. I should stop torturing my brain on this and go and this meeting the lawyer thing out of the way.

I’ll let you know how it went. I might take a bit though since I will also be spending time with Evelyn. I hope everything goes smooth today… I don’t want t be mad I really don’t.

Mattie

******

“Hey sweets,” Mattie said as Evelyn hopped into the back of her rental. “why the sad face?”

“I miss my mommy and daddy,” Evelyn said as tears began to fall down her face.

Mattie felt a lump on her throat and tried to calm down to not cry in front of her. “Sweets she’s here with you all the time in here,” she touched her chest where the heart would be.

“I know but that way nana Louise would not be mad at you and I would be able to see more.” Evelyn said as she pouted and her tear’s continued to fall.

“Tell you what lets not talk about that and how about we go on a boat ride? See the gators and flamingos on the lake?” she smiled at her hold her tears as best she could. “I promise Evelyn everything will turn out fine.”

“Ok,” Evelyn said wiping her little hands on her face.