- Text Size +
“I have to say something,” Sean said as he hugged his sister. “FINALLY!”

Mattie laughed whole heartedly as she fixed her flower. “Finally.” She repeated as she looked at him. “I still can run.” She said biting her lip.

“You wouldn’t,” Leighanne said as she hand her the bouquet.

“Yeah I am not letting you run this time… I don’t think I can handle more years of an Emo Alex.” Brian said as he walked in with his crutches he still managed to look good, “Wow you look nice… very you.”

“Thanks that’s the point.” Mattie said turning around to show off her very contemporary dress.

“So I better go I have to be up there with Alex. I can’t wait to see his reaction… the good thing is I will be there to pick his chin up or at least try.” Brian said as he leaned in and hugged her.

*****

Alex hugged his mother as she stood by him. “I am glad she finally came back, I like her.” Denise said kissing her son.

“I know… she is great isn’t she?” Alex said smiling.

“Yes and the ceremony is about to start so I am going to head to my seat. Love you and oh my god I don’t want to cry yet.” Denise said as she wiped the tear that had escaped already.

“Mom that’s impossible you always cry at weddings.” Alex chuckled.

“All right,” Brian said as he walked toward Alex and Denise with his crutches. “She’s coming.”

No sooner had Brian said that when the music began… he smiled as Denise kissed her son one more time before heading to her seat. “Nervous?” he asked Alex who was looking toward where his bride would be coming from.

“No I’ve been waiting for this moment for far too long.” Alex said as he smiled when Evelyn came out in a beautiful dress throwing rose petals.

Then Leighanne and Anna Lee the only bridesmaids came out. He turned and smiled at Brian who was staring at now noticeable baby bump on his wife. “Ok maybe I am a little nervous.” Alex finally whispered before he heard the gasps from the guests.

That’s when he spotted her coming down the isle in the arms of Sean. He took a deep breath, his heart was beating fast. “Wow.”

He felt Brian’s pat on his shoulder, “Yeah very her.”

“I love her… just like she is.” He whispered as he continued to stare at her.

******

“Now the bride and groom will read there vows,” the judge said. “Matilda…” he said looking at Mattie.

Mattie smiled at him and then looked at Alex. “I Mattie Benson FINALLY take you Alexander McLean to be my husband. I promise to be there for you always in the good or bad. I just now realized just how much you mean to me… I have a very strong feeling Emmy helped me find you again. I love you and well I am ready to become old and grumpy by your side.” Mattie said chuckling a little. “I had a much more elaborate speech but after I saw you and my eyes locked with yours I lost any recollection of it, Except for that I love you and I am glad you gave me a second chance.”

Alex chuckled and smiled at Mattie… “Well I knew that if I didn’t write it down I would forget so,” Alex said as he dug through his pocket to pull out a paper. “Here it is.” He said flashing his paper.

He cleared his throat and looked at the paper… “Matilda Benson my Mattie I still remember the face you made that first day of school in homeroom, the face that made me realized you were going to be special to me. I remember the first time I saw you in a dress and I told you looked hot, I got a punch to my stomach, I know that sounds horrible to most of you but that’s when I realized that I was in love with Mattie. My last two years of high school are the best years I remember about my teenage life. While my friends dated a different girl every week I was hung up on you… I remember our first kiss. At one point though I thought I hated you… when you broke up with me right before your graduation. I didn’t loose hopes though because I knew that what we had was real so I let you fly free… my beautiful monarch butterfly left but when I saw you again. I knew you had come back to me. It’s like the phrase goes… where there was a fire the ashes remain. I’ve been ready for this moment and now FINALLY here you are in front of me, so here in front of all these people I want to promise you that I will be here for you. To care for you when your sick, to love you when you need me to, to take care of you economically, to the best father to our kids, and most of all to grow old with you. I love you Mattie now my waiting is over so I am happy to finally say it. I Alexander McLean take you Matilda Benson to be my wife.”

Alex smiled as he wiped the tear that streamed down Mattie’s face. “By the power invested in me by the State of Florida I declare you husband and wife. Mr. McLean you may kiss your wife.” The judge finally said.

Mattie smiled as she leaned up to him closing her eyes as he captured her lips. She could hear the clapping but at that moment all she cared about was the kiss that said so much. “I love you.” She heard Alex tell her as he finally broke the kiss.

*********

“This was some party for a Tuesday.” Alex told Mattie as they waved to the crowd that now walked them to the limo that waited for them.

“Yeah it is.” Mattie said as she stepped into the limo.

“Alex, Aunt Mattie.” Evelyn screamed as she ran up to them. “I wanted to give you this.” She said handing them a paper. It was a drawing, “See this is uncle Alex, you, Rocky, Cleo and me. One big happy family.” She told Mattie. “I can call him Uncle now right?”

“yes,” Mattie said as she stared at the picture. “What’s this?” she asked as she pointed to the stick figure that was supposed to be her.

“Oh that’s a baby bump like the one Leighanne has.” Evelyn said with a smile. “I have to go my grandma said you were in a hurry. “Have a nice honeymoon.” She said kissing her aunt and Alex.

“Well that was interesting.” Mattie said as she handed Alex the drawing.

“That only means we have a lot of work to do during our honeymoon.” He winked at her as he folded the paper. “We will have to do a lot of practice… I mean the kid is practically telling us she wants a brother or sister.”

Mattie laughed as she playfully slapped his arm. “Practice… that sounds fun and we won’t have interruptions.”

“OOOOH so true…” Alex said pulling her onto his laps. “I love you.”

“Me too… so where are you taking me?” she asked before she kissed him.

“Oh you’ll see.” Alex said smiling at her mischievously…
Chapter End Notes:
Finally... I finished it. :) I'd love some feedback.