- Text Size +
“Where are we?” Evelyn asked Mattie as they walked up the porch to Alex’s house.

“This is the house to an old friend of mine,” Mattie said as she knocked on the door. She bit her lip with anticipation she had enjoyed her time with Alex it seemed they could be descent friends not awkwardness at all.

“Coming,” Alex said as he took hold of his pup Rottweiler she was strong. “Hey,” Alex smiled as he saw Mattie standing there.

“Hey, nice puppy what’s his name?” Mattie said bending down to pet the pup.

“Her name is Cleopatra. Cleo for short,” he said turning to look at the little girl that stood beside Mattie. “You must be Evelyn?” he said ruffling her dirty blond hair.

“Yes,” Evelyn smiling at him, “I like Cleo she is pretty.”

Alex smiled at her and opened the door wide so they could come in, “Thanks Cleo is a beauty, and she’s a German Rottweiler.”

“Nice house,” Mattie said as she walked into the living room with her bag in hand. “I really appreciate you inviting us on your boat. Since when are you a sailor?”

“Well believe it or not I went to Vegas and won it to my surprise. Now I have a boat, I actually do get a little sick but it’s not too bad. Let me just go get dressed appropriately and we will head out. You two are not going dressed like that are you? Put on a bathing suit the sun is warm and you’ll get a tan.” He said as he disappeared into what Mattie assumed was his bedroom.

“Well he underestimated us didn’t he?” Mattie said as she pulled her Ed Hardy shirt over her head showing her bikini top. “I’ll leave the shorts on,” she smiled at her niece who was now in her rainbow colored bathing suit. She couldn’t help but laughed as Cleo attacked Evelyn licking her whole face with just one lick.

“Ew Aunt Mattie Cleo just licked my whole face,” Evelyn said laughing as she hugged Cleo. “Aunt Mattie if I go live with you do you think we can get a dog? Not as big as Cleo if you don’t want too.”

“We’ll see,” Mattie said as she saved her niece from Cleo’s paws.

*******

July 20, 2010
Time: 6:30pm
Location: SS Matilda…watching the sunset.
Emotion: confused and worried.

I am sitting here and watching how much fun Evelyn is having with Alex. Alex is so an awesome sidekick to Evelyn. Not once have I seen her sad since we got here. I can’t help to think back to when Alex and I were a couple. I loved him… even when he was a mere scrawny geek, now I remember why. He is such a romantic and he is easy to get along with.

I have managed to laugh and feel happy most of today. I did see that lawyer he recommended me and I have high hopes of winning Evelyn’s custody. Yet as I sit here writing I am confused. Alex named his boat after me… he looked so cute as he saw the look I made when I read the boats name.

It made Evelyn laugh to the point of tears, when I told her that was my real name. Now she keeps teasing me by calling me Aunt Matilda. I asked him why he named his boat after me and he only shrugged. I am going to ask again later he has to have an explanation… maybe he is one of those guys that name there most prized possessions after each ex they have. I used to date a guy like that well not really date but you know.

I have to he is walking this way and I just don’t want to explain this to him. I’ll tell you everything later.

Mattie

********

“I’m hungry!” Evelyn said as she got a coke from the cooler Alex had on the boat. “Could you open it for me?” she asked Alex.

“Sure can sweetie,” Alex said as he took a seat next to Mattie who had just finished writing something. “What was that?” he asked after handing Evelyn the coke.

“I’m going to get a luncheable ok?” Evelyn said already opening one and sitting far away enjoying her lunch.

“Don’t eat too much now we’re going to dinner at grandmas later,” Mattie said as she turned to look at Alex who was still staring at her curiously.

“Well?” Alex said getting more comfortable.

“Well what? You tell me why you named your boat Matilda and I will maybe tell you what this is,” Mattie said as she padded her tote where her diary was safely kept.

Alex shrugged, “I remembered how much you hated your name and I won this boat only a couple of months after you left to college. I was pissed at you… so I named my boat Matilda.”

“Pissed at me?” Mattie asked curiously.

“Well yeah, if I recall you had dumped me pretty bad.” Alex said remembering that day clearly.

[Flashback]

“Hey,” Alex said he climbed into the window. “I didn’t get a call or anything today so I had to come see you.” he bent down to kiss his girlfriend.

“Sorry it’s just been a crazy day,” Mattie stood up locking her bedroom door so her mother or father wouldn’t just barge in. They would kill her if they knew Alex would sneak up to her room at late hours and well they didn’t just talk sometimes.

“Yeah so crazy you couldn’t make a little time for me?” Alex asked as he took a seat on her bed pulling her into his laps.

Mattie giggled when she felt Alex’s hand begin to massage thigh, “Not tonight Alex…” she kissed him passionately.

“I won’t get to see you again till next weekend,” Alex said kissing her neck. “I head back to Palm Beach for school, just two more years that’s all.”

Mattie moaned a little as she allowed Alex’s lips to roam down her neck and to her breasts. “Alex please mom is on guard tonight and she might hear us.” She whispered finally bring his face up to meet her gaze. “We have to talk,” Mattie said standing up pulling on a shirt and some shorts. “Let’s go,” she extended her hand to him as she climbed out the window.

Alex sighed and followed her, “do you want to go down by the canal?” he asked her as he helped down the roof.

“Yeah that’ll be fine,” she said as he put her hair in a ponytail. She smiled as they walked fast so they wouldn’t get caught.

“Ok so what’s wrong babe,” Alex said as they both took a seat on the plush grass. “You’re not pregnant are you?”

“No… its about me leaving for college. I know you think its better for me to stay here and go to Florida State but I’ve been thinking really hard. I want to go to University of Wisconsin.” She bit her lip as she saw Alex’s vain on his neck pop out.

“Ok well it’s what you want but what about us? I won’t be able to see you till holidays and we have to adjust to phone sex,” he giggled a little at that.

“Alex!” Mattie said punching playfully. “You know Alex…” she said biting her lip.

“Hmm,” Alex said still trying to digest this whole new idea; she had made up her mind and she was going to move to Wisconsin. What about him?

“Aren’t we a little weird? I mean look at us we’ve been dating since high school we didn’t experience our teenage life to the fullest.” She continued.

“I don’t think we’ve missed out on anything really and we’re still technically teens.” Alex said not liking where Mattie was taking this.

“Yeah I know but now with me in Wisconsin and you here… I don’t think it will be the same.” She managed to say as Alex pulled his hand from hers.

“Where are you going with this?” he asked as he stood up rubbing his face.
“Alex please don’t make this harder than it is.” Mattie said as she threw a rock into the canal. “I just think we should take a break and just see where it takes us.”

“Are you… no wait Mattie what do you feel for me?” Alex asked as he went up to her taking her lips with his. “I love you…”

“Do you even know what love is?” Mattie asked as she pulled away. “I have only been with you Alex and now we are going to be apart. I can’t drag you with me and I am not staying here.”

“Do you like someone else?” Alex asked as he paced.

“What? No… not yet. Alex I just want a chance to experience life my way.”

“You know what? Fine go and do all the college life but don’t come back expecting me to just take you back… Mattie what we have is unique. I love you… do you? Love me?”

She felt angry at him, how could he not understand her? She was one to never bite back what she thought and right at that moment anger dominated her. “No I don’t Alex. Just go back to school and forget you ever met me!” Mattie said as she turned away and began to walk back to her house. Tears of anger and confusion coming down her face.

[End of flashback]

Mattie felt horrible as she remembered how she broke it off with Alex. She wanted to tell him just how much she had suffered after that. But again she was to proud to admit that he had been right and that for the first two years all she did was try to forget him with as many dates she could get. Till the scar she had caused her own heart healed.

“I’m sorry,” Mattie said biting her lip.

“Hey you did what you had to do. I mean you were young and you were right we were too young to know what we really wanted.” He said clearing his throat, “But let’s not duel on the past. You’re doing great your going to be a great mother to Evelyn and well I am doing well too…”

“Yeah,” Mattie said sighing. “I am writing my first diary I was told it would help me, plus its part of a project professor Collins gave his class and I thought I could try it.”

“Interesting,” Alex said as he realized the sun was gone and it was better for them to head back. “We should get going.”

“Yeah,” Mattie said as she saw that Evelyn had fallen asleep with her coke in hand. “Awe poor Evelyn,” she stood up and careful not to wake her she took away the trash and the can of coke. She cradled her in her arms as Alex turned the boat back to return home.

Thirty minutes later Alex had docked and after insisting in helping her with Evelyn they walked up to his house. He opened his door and carefully laid her on his plush couch. “I hope you enjoyed the day.”

“I did,” Mattie said finally realizing she had gotten pretty tanned. “I think Evelyn really likes you now.”

“She’s a great kid.” Alex said rubbing the back of his neck. “Want something to drink?”

“No I’m good thanks I should take her home I don’t want to get into trouble right now when I am trying to win her custody.” She looked around and then she asked, “Could I use your restroom to change though?”

“Yeah down this hall two doors down on the left,” Alex said as he watched her walk away. He was trying to be a good friend but was it wrong to admit he still loved her? He was brought back from his thoughts when the phone rang and Sharon’s number appeared. Sharon his on and off again girlfriend, “hello?”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews... keep them coming. hope you like the new chapter.