- Text Size +
July 22, 2010
Time: 10:00am
Location: Holiday Inn’s pool area
Emotion: determined

So today I called my boss and told him I quit. He wasn’t very excited about that but he understood why. I was now trying to figure out where I would be moving too…Sean has offered me his house in Orlando. But the custody battle is being held here in Palm Beach, so I must find a way to stay here till then.

I am bound to take care of Evelyn like she was my own and that means my plans are no more. Now I will revolve on Evelyn’s every need. I would like for her to be near her parents too… well so we can visit them once in a while.

I know this all has altered my life completely but I am thirty one it is time for me to settle I guess. I am thinking that it would be nice to have a real family. I don’t know where I will get the husband but I am not in a hurry.

I am thinking about renting a truck to bring down my stuff and probably put it in storage till I find a place. I still have to break the news to Evelyn of my short trip up to Wisconsin, but I hope she will be ok with it. Lately I have been really good at being with Evelyn for most part of the day.

Talking about that today I am picking her up from school. It will be nice going into Central Elementary School my old school. I know it will bring many memories back. Memories have been drowning my mind lately from my many adventures with Emmy, Sean and Alex.

Last night I dreamt about when Emmy had snuck out of the house to see her boyfriend back in the day and I had to sneak in to her room and cover myself from head to toe so mom and dad would not notice she was gone and think she was asleep… the was the advantage of having a connected bathroom. Man the many things I kept secret for Emmy just as she did with me.

She was the one to cover for me when I went to Alex’s prom and ended up not coming home on time because lets just say that day my cherry got popped. I am actually surprised we waited that long to be together… but that was Alex he never pressured me.

God I miss Emmy, who will I go to now for advice? I know I have more siblings but Emmy was my Batman and I was her Robin. Anyway I have to go and find a job… I know just the place to go to. I’ll let you know later how that went.

Mattie

*******

Mattie smiled as she removed her sunglasses walking into the restaurant. She saw a gorgeous blond greet her, “Hi actually I am here to see Brian,” Mattie smiled.

“Is this business related?”

“Well sort of see Brian is a good friend of mine and I wanted to talk him. But I’ll come back when he is here… sorry will you just tell him Mattie came looking for him.” Mattie told her as she turned to leave.

“Oh my god your Mattie?” Leighanne said as she looked at her carefully and excited.

Mattie stopped and turned to look at the blond carefully, “Yeah do I know you?”

“Well not technically, I am Leighanne.” She extended her hand.

Mattie was still very confused as she took her hand, “Hi Leighanne.”

“Sorry I am Brian’s fiancé and I know about you from him. He didn’t lie when he said you were gorgeous.” Leighanne said.

“Uhm thanks I guess…” Mattie said trying not to laugh at Leighanne's country accent.

“But please have a seat he should be here soon he's at the bar with Alex.” Leighanne said.

“Well actually I’ll just go over there, it was nice meeting you.” Mattie said shaking Leighanne’s hand. “I didn’t know he was engaged.” She said shyly as she walked out.

*******

“So you are really tanned,” Brian said as he helped Alex with the accounting.

“Yeah I went out on my boat,” Alex said trying to not bring out more about that conversation.

“You should’ve called me, Leighanne and I would have gone with you…unless you didn’t want company.” Brian said.

“Uhm it was a spur of the moment thing… it wasn’t planned.” Alex said looking a little nervous.

“Uhuh,” Brian said smiling… “Did you and Sharon make up?” he asked giving him a sly smile.

Alex shrugged and rolled his eyes, “No not yet… I invited Mattie and Evelyn so you they could get distracted. They need that a lot right now.” he rambled fast.

“Mattie?” Brian asked as he took a bottled water from the mini fridge in the office. “She’s still looks good doesn’t she? Better I would say,” Brian said grinning.

“Ok Brian your engaged.” Alex said smiling at his comment. “She may look good but she is in the past and it’s not like she is going to be here long. She is only here till she gets full custody of Evelyn.”

“History tends to repeat itself,” Brian said and then he stood hearing the doorbell to the bar in announcement of someone coming in. “Sorry we are closed till twelve,” Brian said quickly smiling when he saw who stood there. “Well we do make exceptions.”

“Who is it?” Alex yelled.

“Come on in give me a sec,” Brian said walking to the back office. “Talking about the devil she is here,” Brian said grinning even more.

“So I went to the restaurant and I met Leighanne!” Mattie yelled as she placed her tote on one of the pool tables.

“Yeah what you think? A real southern belle isn’t she?” Brian said coming back smiling.

“Yeah she is really nice…” Mattie said as she went to grab a pool stick. “So I came to talk to you…”

“Yeah about what?” Brian said as Alex joined them.

“Hey Mattie,” he said as he watched her arrange a pool table to play. “Any of you two willing to loose against a lady?” she asked arching her eyebrow.

“I was never good at that,” Brian said looking at Alex. “Why don’t we see the teacher against the student?”

“Well I am no rookie anymore,” Mattie said grabbing a pool stick throwing it to Alex who caught it.

“Let’s see if you learned anything from me.” he said giving her a daring smile.

“So what did you want to talk to me about?” Brian said as he watched them begin to play.

“Well I wanted to ask you to hire me… I need a job since I have decided to move down here for Evelyn’s sake.” Mattie said as she pocketed two more balls.

“Really? Well I’d love to hire you but not for the restaurant since we are fully staffed. But I know Alex is need of a bartender aren't you Alex?” Brian said looking at Alex who attentively watched Mattie’s every move.

“Yeah but maybe she doesn’t want to work at a bar Bri,” Alex said as he finally took his turn.

“I’ll take what I can get, it might be temporary while I win custody then I might move to Miami with Anna lee… Howard offered me a job there as his assistant.” Mattie said as she watched Alex concentrate on pocketing another ball only to miss and hit one of her balls. “Thanks but I don’t need your help,” she told him as she played her turn.

“I think someone needs lessons from the student now,” Brian said laughing at Alex only to get the middle finger from him.

“Ok so when can you start?” Alex asked.

“Well first I have to back home and get my stuff down here and find a place to rent.” Mattie said as she tried to pocket her last ball missing.

“Aren’t you in need of a roommate as well?” Brian asked only to get a glare from Alex.

“You are?” Mattie asked remembering how nice his house was.

“Yeah…” Alex said as he pocketed another ball.

“How much do you want?” Mattie asked as she watched him carefully pocket another one.

“Well it’s the master bedroom with a walk in closet and its own bathroom… four fifty including bills.” Alex said as he tried to pocket the eight ball only to miss.

“I might be interested; Evelyn seemed to like you a lot. Plus like I said it will be temporary.” Mattie said as she pocketed her last ball and then went for the eight ball. She bent down low eyeing the ball not realizing she was giving Alex a sight to see. She jumped up excitedly as she pocketed the eight ball… “I won!”

“Looser,” Brian said laughing at Alex who was surprised by Mattie who hugged him excitedly.

Mattie pulled back quick clearing her throat, “So does this mean I have a job when I come back?”

“I say yes what about you Brian? I have to run it with my partner you know…” Alex said rolling his eyes.

“Heck yeah of course, welcome to the team… you know I have a big Ford F350 I bet me and Alex can drive up there with you. Help you get it down faster… and you would save money on renting a truck. Right Alex we can go with her… Leighanne can handle the bar and restaurant with Dan’s help.”

“OH its fine I don’t want to impose like that I am already pulling strings with the whole job thing.” Mattie said blushing a little.

“What are friends for?” Brian said slapping Alex on his shoulder, “What do you say Alex we can leave Friday morning and be back by Sunday or Monday.”

“Sure why not,” Alex said smiling a little.

“So its settled we leave Friday,” Brian said.

“Thanks guys this means a lot to me,” Mattie said getting a little teary eyed. She surprised Brian with a hug and then Alex. “I have to go because I have to pick up Evelyn from school today but I’ll call you to plan everything for the trip.”

“Yeah definitely see you later,” Brian said waving as he saw take her tote and walk to the door.

“Later,” Alex said just before she disappeared.

“What the hell was that?” Alex asked as he playfully hit Brian with his pool stick.

“What are you talking about?” Brian asked trying to sound confused at Alex’s insinuation.

*******

“Hello?” Mattie answered the phone as she saw it was her sister Josie.

“I was just calling you to tell you that I already picked up Evelyn she got sick the nurse called mom.” Josie said.

“What why didn’t you guys call me? It was my turn to pick her up. I am on my way to get her.” Mattie said angrily.

“She is sick just let us care for her.” Josie said a little annoyed.

“I will be there and I am taking her to a doctor,” Mattie said hanging up angrily. Why were they being like this to her she could handle a sick kid?

******

July 22, 2010
Time: 11:00pm
Location: park bench at Woodworks. {I know it’s late… but I am in the friendliest town in Florida no danger.]
Emotion: worried

I have to say that I am glad to have people that still believe in me like Brian and Alex. They have been my saviors at this moment. I have managed to get a job with them and a place to stay till I win custody of Evelyn… well I still have to think about that a little bit more.

I am sure that if I tell Evelyn though she will have no problems staying at Alex’s though. She hasn’t stopped asking about him or Cleo. Talking about Evelyn she has a major case of ear infection and high fever. I was able to take her to the doctor and get that taken care of. But she will miss a day of school, she is not complaining though.

I guess I could use that day to let her know of my decisions. I can’t imagine myself not being here for her she is now my focal point in my life. I have yet a lot of parent skills to learn but I am sure Sean can help me with that, I don’t know about Anna lee she is pretty new at the whole parent thing. Besides James is still just a baby… all she worries about is diapers and feeding him on time.

I wonder how I will be when I have a kid of my own, will I be a good mother. Well I will have practice by then with Evelyn. I have been thinking maybe I don’t need a man to be happy and maybe not even to have a baby of my own… not that I will do that soon.

I have to go I promised Evelyn that I would order her pizza and take it to her.

Mattie.