- Text Size +
“Good morning,” Mattie said as she gave Alex a warm smile. “Sleep well?”

“Morning,” Alex said stretching and wincing as he felt the pain on his neck, “My neck is killing me…” he laughed as he rubbed it.

“Yeah sleeping like that does that to your neck,” Mattie said as she pulled up the drive thru window paying and taking the McDonalds bag. “I got us breakfast, I just hope you still like the same things…” she said handing him his coffee cup.

“Thanks,” AJ said smiling at her, she remembered what he liked. “Did you get the strawberry jam for my sausage biscuit?”

“Of course wouldn’t want you to get all insulted if I got you the grape jam instead.” She told him handing him the McDonalds bag.

“Thanks, so where are we?” Alex said as he looked at his window into the road.

“Owensboro Kentucky,” Mattie said as she began to take speed back on the highway. “We are about to leave Kentucky and into Illinois.”

“I can take the wheel into Illinois if you want…” Alex said as he prepared his sandwich applying enough strawberry jam on his biscuit.

“Just finish your breakfast,” she told him as she took a drink from her orange juice.

“Ok,” Alex said as he bit into his food.

********

“Chicago?” Mattie asked as she looked out the window it was getting dark and she recognized the city. “I must’ve of been tired,” she yawned as she redid her hair not that she could really tie it wasn’t long enough.

“Yep…” Alex said as he grinned, “You snore,” he said giggling.

“I do not!” Mattie said with a face of horror.

“Yeah you do… not that loud but yeah you snore.” He winced when he felt her punch him. “Watch it you hit like a man it hurts.”

“Good,” Mattie said for once she laughed a hardy laugh.

********

[Music blaring]

I got soul but I’m not a soldier
I got soul but I’m not a soldier
I got soul but I’m not a soldier
I got soul but I’m not a soldier

I got soul but I’m not a soldier
I got soul but I’m not a soldier

Time and truth and hearts

Yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah
Oh, don’t you put me on the back burner
You know you gotta help me out, yeah

“I am so sorry I bet that’s Heather,” Mattie said as she opened the door to her home and running to turn off the music.

“Mattie!” Heather said startled her hand raising to her chest and blushing when she saw Alex at the door. “Fuck you brought someone with you!” she ran toward the restroom. She was dancing in her underwear and a tiny shirt.

“Oh my god Heather!” Mattie said shaking her hand as she saw the mess she had on the very empty living room. “What happened to my furniture?” she asked as she began to pickup the mess.

“You told me to get rid of stuff so I had a garage sale!” Heather yelled from the restroom.

“Oh,” Mattie said picking up an empty bottle of vodka. “Sorry Alex please have a seat on my very plush carpet.” She said not being able to hold her laugh as she realized Alex was still puzzled by the show he had just seen.

“So I guess that’s your roommate?” he finally managed to say as he took a deep sigh. He’s a guy of course he had to see and it wasn’t bad at all.

“Something like that,” Mattie said as she continued to pickup popcorn and god knew what from the floor, “Heather please tell me we still have a vacuum cleaner,” she said as she walked to a trash can and dumped what she held.

“Nope sorry I got fifteen bucks for it,” Heather said coming out better dressed in a floral cotton skirt and a white cotton shirt. “Hi,” she told Alex as she gave him a flirtatious smile.

Alex cleared his throat, “hi,” he extended his hand and shook her hand.

“You must be related to Mattie because I see you like tattoos too.” Heather said looking at his hands. “You can’t be her brother though cause I’ve seen pictures to all of them… are you her cousin?”

“Nope nosey he’s not my blood relative,” Mattie said coming back from the kitchen with a broom and dust pan handing it to Heather, “You did it you clean it.” She said as she handed her the broom and dust pan with an annoyed face.

“Oh my god don’t tell me you already hooked up back in Florida? Well I have to say he’s sexy,” Heather said winking at Alex.

Alex only grinned turning shades of red and rubbing the back of his neck. He cleared his throat ready to answer but was cut off by Mattie.

“NO!” Mattie answered quickly. "He’s a really good friend of mine and he’s here to help me lug my stuff down to Florida. Enough interrogating its late and we have to rest for tomorrow so come on clean up!” Mattie said giving Heather the look that told her she would tell her later.

“It’s ok she has to have questions,” Alex said as he sighed once Heather got busy with her task.

“Yeah well she has no right to ask, so the restroom is that way if you want to freshen up or shower before hitting the sack. We have a lot to do tomorrow.” Mattie said pointing toward her restroom.

“I’m going to say yes to the shower let me just get my bag from the truck,” Alex said heading back out to the truck.

“Ok,” Mattie said nervously.

*********

“Spill it,” Heather said as she took a seat next to Mattie on the floor.

“I can’t believe you sold my bed,” Mattie said putting away her diary knowing she would get a chance to write after all. “Why are you so interested? You can’t jump on it Heather…” Mattie said using her friends own terminology.

“Why not? You said he is nothing to you…” Heather said looking toward the door that led to the restroom.

“Oh my god your crazy… he has a girlfriend.” She whispered to Heather who only smiled even more. “Its like the saying in Vegas goes, except it would be like… what happens in Madison stays in Madison.” She winked at Mattie.

“Don’t Heather I am warning you… he is off limits.” Mattie said more seriously.

Heather looked at her closely and began to laugh hysterically, “Oh my god you already slept with him!”

“No! We have not!” Mattie said as she tried to hush her friend.

“Quit lying is he good?” Heather asked trying to keep her laughs down.

“I told you we have not slept with each other,” Mattie said in a hushed tone.

“But you want too then?” Heather said as matter of fact.

Mattie grabbed her pillow and threw at it at Heather, “Why is your mind always in the gutter… talk about living liberally.”

“There is something here and I can sense the friction… here let me read your hand.” Heather said pulling on Mattie’s hand.

“No you know I don’t believe your crap, you are just a hoax. Remember I know that.” Mattie said pulling her hand back.

“You have offended me deeply and for that good night,” Heather said looking hurt. “I have been right the last two times I read your hand! I’ll see you in the morning if I feel like forgiving you.” she walked out and into the other room.

“Heather!” Mattie said opening her door going after her only to bump into Alex who was coming out of the bathroom squeaky clean.

“Is everything alright?” He asked as he held onto Mattie so she wouldn’t fall.

“Yeah I was just going to ask her something when I bumped into you… sorry.” Mattie said finally pulling away from his grip and clearing her throat. “I fixed you a place for you to sleep in the living room… sorry I have no furniture.”

Alex laughed. “Its ok it will be like when I used to go camping.” He sighed and looked at her, “You might want to wake me I am a very heavy sleeper and the fact that it is two in the morning won’t work in helping me up early.”

“Ok,” she told him going back toward her room. She sighed heavily grabbing something for her shower.

********

The shower had definitely helped she walked out still towel drying her hair and that’s when she saw Alex was still wide awake leaning on a wall. “Hey can’t sleep?”

“Not really my neck is killing me,” Alex said as he saw her walk up to him taking a seat next to him.

“I think I can help,” she told him as she kneeled, “Here turn around I’ve been told I can give a good massage.”

“Ok…” Alex said nervously not sure if it was a good idea but soon he couldn’t think any more and a small moan escaped his lips. “My god yes right there,” he said as he felt her fingers do there magic on his neck and shoulders.

Mattie smiled and did her best as she massaged him. She was silent as she did her task smiling once in a while when he would moan. “There that should help.”

“Yes it did,” thanks Alex said clearing his throat. “Thank you so much, well we should try and get some sleep, if not we will have to rely too much on red bull.”

“True good night or should I say good morning?” Mattie said as she stood up and walked away.

“Yeah good night,” Alex said as he finally laid down sighing closing his eyes.

******

[Flashback/dream]

“Hey…” Alex said in a hush tone as he sneaked into Mattie’s room through the window.

“What are you doing here? Mom is going to kill me if she comes in right now and sees you here,” Mattie said as she brushed her hair.

“I just wanted to check on you and make sure you were ok, she didn’t look to happy about you coming home an hour late.” Alex said walking to her door and locking it.

“I told you Emmy got my back, she got a little suspicious but Emmy is a good damn liar,” Mattie said smiling. She walked up to him and kissed him.

“I love you,” Alex said wrapping his arms around her. He pulled her toward her bed not once parting the kiss. “Maybe I should go,” he whispered letting her go.

“No stay… the door is locked.” Mattie said wrapping her arms around his neck kissing him bringing him down with her to the bed…

[End of flashback/dream]

Alex moaned as he felt lips on his neck and someone straddling him he smiled, these dreams were starting to feel very real. He might as well enjoy remembering the past. He took her face and brought her lips to his.

He moaned as he felt her hands slide down to his pants starting to unbutton his pants. He smiled and as real as it felt he didn’t want to open his eyes in fear of loosing his dream. “Mattie, you feel so good…” he whispered.

“Mattie?” Heather said a little loud stopping what she was doing. Sitting up straight looking at Alex.

Alex opened his eyes quickly trying to adjust to the dark and realized who was on top of him. “Oh my god Heather!” he said nervously standing up buttoning his pants back up. “What are you doing?”

“Sorry I was just giving a warm welcome but it’s clear you already have someone in mind.” Heather said as she put her bra and night shirt back on. “So you’re playing the good friend and hope that she sees past it and hook up with you?” she asked a little disappointed she didn’t get what she wanted.

“No it’s not like that! God uhm that was a huge mistake… she gave a massage earlier and I was dreaming that she still was giving me a massage… then I felt well you know. My god…look between Mattie and me there is nothing going on. I just… please don’t tell her about this.” Alex said rubbing his face, he definitely wasn’t sleeping anymore.

Heather eyed him curiously, “Ok I won’t say a word but in return you tell me how you know Mattie… I promise I won’t tell a soul.”

“But what if she hears us?” Alex said looking toward the door that led to Mattie’s room.

“She won’t she sleeps with her iPod on the only way she can get a descent sleep.” Heather said.

Alex sighed heavily and looked at her again. “Fine, but can I have something to drink first?” Alex asked.

“Yeah give me a minute,” Heather walked to the kitchen.

He could hear her about the kitchen and he felt like the good time to run but where. He had no choice but to tell even if it was apparent Mattie didn’t want her to know about there past.
Chapter End Notes:
Ok here is another let me know what you think...