- Text Size +
Mattie tried to concentrate on the road and was a little annoyed at Heather who was very much in her own world… she had borrowed her iPod and was busy humming along. That was not good because now she had Alex’s attention.

She could feel his stare on her and he would shift on his seat quite often clearing his throat. She turned and gave him a nervous smile before turning back to looking at the road ahead. She reached to get her red bull taking a sip; she cleared her throat and went to place it back on the cup holder.

She gasped when she felt his hand pulling her hand to him. She allowed him to intertwine his fingers with his. He gave her a grin as he squeezed her hand, “much better,” he said a she eyed behind to see Heather was now sleeping the iPod on full blast. When he saw that he took her hand and brought up to kiss it.

“I have this whole conversation played in my head about last…night,” Mattie said licking her lips as she continued to stare at Alex and her hand intertwined. “I plan to be able to say it...”

Alex put his finger to his mouth and taking off his sunglasses he turned to look at her. “I know you are not yourself right now… so let’s just say I understand. No matter what I am your friend with benefits apparently.” He chuckled giving her a sincere smile. Slow things between them had to be taken slow. But that still didn’t stop him from feeling the hole he carried in his heart begin to start to heal after almost eleven years.

Mattie chuckled… “You will always be my friend too and maybe just maybe there will be benefits along the way. But we will talk just not here,” she turned her head slightly toward Heather.

“Yeah later we’ll talk,” Alex said smiling a little as he realized she was ok with there hands being intertwined.

*******

“I’ll have the bacon cheeseburger with tater tots and a milkshake Vanilla.” Mattie said as she looked at the menu.

“Hungry?” Alex said coming back from the men’s room. He smiled as Mattie made room for him to sit next to her in the booth.

“Yes very… If you recall we have been working our asses off.” Mattie said.

“True… I’ll have the same but no milkshake instead a large tea.” He said just as Heather came back too taking a seat in front of them.

“Did you guys already order?” She asked as she looked at the menu making a face of horror. “My god do you have anything that does not have meat?” she asked the waitress.

“Fries and the garden salad.” She answered.

“Well I’ll have the garden salad and a water.” Heather said handing the menu back to the waitress. “The next stop I am choosing where we are eating…” she made a disgusted face.

“I don’t know…” Mattie said making a goofy face toward her.

Heather eyed them cautiously and then a smile spread on her face, “Mattie you bad girl…” she said laughing hardily.

Mattie’s eyes widen but tried to not to blush not working. Alex only smiled and too began to blush.

“Last night while I was gone… you two did the nasty didn’t you?” Heather said pointing to Mattie then to Alex. “I knew it…see I told you.” she said looking at Alex. “I told you I was physic.”

“No she is not she is a hoax,” Mattie said looking at Alex.

“She read my hand the other day… and she sort of mentioned something like this would happen,” Alex whispered into Mattie’s ears. “I thought she really was just being weird.”

“Hey I am not weird,” Heather said sticking out her tongue.

“For a twenty four year old you are pretty annoying and childish,” Mattie said staring at her friend.

“You two will end up being married mark my words!” Heather said eyeing them. “You should see your aurora’s they are looking more alive more shades of green not like when you guys arrived.”

“Your order is ready,” the waitress said giving everyone there order. “Here’s the ketchup.”

“Ma’am can I get some mustard please,” Mattie said smiling at her.

“Regular or what kind?” the waitress asked.

“Regular please…”

Alex chuckled and looked at Mattie, “I see you still like mustard on everything…”

Mattie smiled and stuck her tongue out at him. “What can I say…”

********

July 27, 2010
Time 1:00am
Location: Tallahassee Florida… finally in Florida.
Emotion: hopeful

I can’t help maybe start to believe Heather about her being physic. Maybe because in some bizarre way I want or yearn to be married and Alex would not be a bad candidate, he brings a smile to face just to think of him.

I am thankful he didn’t pressure me for an explanation. I do have one I just don’t know how to explain it with out sounding stupid. I think we will be fine… maybe we could be more than friend’s maybe. I still remember him telling me about Sharon.

I know they are on a break but what I don’t know is how deep his feelings for her are. I mean I broke his heart and it’s been almost eleven years since we actually saw each other. I have had my share of boyfriends since him and yet I have to admit no one has made me feel like he has.

Anyway I can’t wait to arrive, I want to see Evelyn and tell her I love her. Evelyn is a fresh new start for me and I plan to make the best of it. I have actually brought her a few souvenirs from all the states we crossed. I know for sure when she is older I am taking her to Wisconsin so she can experience snow in December not like here…

Well I have to go I think I need to relieve Alex from driving. He looks exhausted and could use a nap. Later.

Mattie.

*******

“Aunt Matilda!” Evelyn said as she ran to her leaving her teacher’s side.

“Evelyn… please it Mattie.” I told her hugging her.

“So you’re the famous Aunt Mattie,” the blued eye very tanned and young teacher said as he approached them.

“Yeah…” Mattie said with a little curiosity to the way the teacher seemed to already know about her.

“I’m sorry where my manners, I’m Nick Carter Evelyn’s art Teacher.” He extended his hand giving her a grin. “She just loves to talk about you and how great you are, I was beginning to think you were part of her imagination… since she has been put through a lot this year.” He said.

“No I am pretty real,” Mattie said looking at Evelyn who smiled at her teacher.

“Aunt Mattie you should see Mr. Carter’s drawings there freaking awesome!” she said giggling.

“I bet he is an art teacher,” Mattie said smiling at him. He was one of those guys that you just couldn’t help smile at because he was so god damn handsome. He was a pretty boy; she assumed he was like that since his childhood.

“So she told me your moving down here again,” Nick said as he looked at her.

“Yeah I see she shares to much information,” Mattie said messing with her hair.

“Hey Evelyn,” Alex yelled from his car. He had driven Mattie to pick her up from school they were both sleep deprived but it meant a lot to her and so he offered to come pick her up.

“Alex!” Evelyn said running toward his car leaving Mattie and Nick standing there.

Nick’s grin sort of disappeared when he saw Alex. “So I see she likes her uncle too.”

Mattie laughed at his comment, “Not my husband just a really good friend.” she extended her hand to him. “It was nice meeting you Mr. Carter.”

“Nick, please call me Nick.” He smiled and then he spoke again, “I hope you will come to the talent show we are having… I don’t know if Evelyn told you she is participating with magic tricks.” He raised his brows to emphasize his comment.

“Ooh, no she didn’t but I might just be here.” She told him turning to see Alex and Evelyn laughing about something.

“You know family can participate in the talent show.” Nick said grinning.

“Haha, yeah I am not going to do that but thanks for the insight. I really have to go.” she shook his hand one more time walking back to the car.

**********

“Heather?” Alex yelled as they entered his house.

“Over here,” She yelled from the kitchen. “While you two went to pick up Evelyn I cooked some spaghetti meat free and a nice salad.”

“It smells good,” Evelyn said looking at her. “Is that your girlfriend Alex?”

Alex began to laugh, “No sweetie,” he said eying Mattie who was laughing hysterically.

“Evelyn that is my friend and roommate from Wisconsin she moved down here with me.” Mattie said finally controlling her laughs.

“Oh,” She walked up to her and smiled, “I’m Evelyn and I like your long pretty red hair.”

“Well thank you,” Heather said shaking her hand. “I’m Heather and I can tell you and me are going to be good friends. So how about we eat?”

Just then Cleo ran in a big pink bow around her neck. “What is that?” Alex said eyeing his dog.

“She needed something to bring her eyes out,” Heather said as she called Cleo who obediently went to her wagging her nearly nothing of a tail.

“I think you should definitely be a dog trainer,” Alex said as he watched Cleo obey something she didn’t do quite often.

********

“Yeah a talent show and I am going to do magic tricks Uncle Sam is showing me.” Evelyn said excitedly as they lounged in Alex’s living room after lunch.

“Wow your uncle Sam’s magic tricks…” Mattie said rolling her eyes remembering her brother Sam’s old magic tricks.

“You know Aunt Mattie you could join the talent show too,” Evelyn said as she got on her lap.

“Uhm no… sweets I am talentless.” She gave her a sad look.

“Well how about you Alex will you be in the talent show?” Evelyn asked smiling at him with anticipation.

“I don’t know…” he said smiling nervously.

“You could sing,” Heather said looking at him. “I get that you can sing well… I get that from your energy.”

“Yeah me too,” Evelyn said looking silly.

“Oh no we have another physic,” Mattie said tickling Evelyn.

“I don’t know…” Alex said.

“Please Alex? I will practice with you…” Evelyn said walking away from Mattie to sit on Alex’s lap. “Please with a cherry on top?”

“Only because you added a cherry on top…” Alex said smiling at her. “So I guess now I also have to practice my singing.”

*******
Chapter End Notes:
ok... here is the next hope you like it. Can you sense the drama coming? lol.. please review.