- Text Size +
“This is our last day on the Rooney tour. Y’all sad it’s over? Or ready to go home?” Mike asked as he drove down the interstate towards Birmingham, Alabama.

“I’m gonna miss being on the road. But, I’m also ready to not have to sit in this van for a long period of time.” Dan answered.

“I’m going to miss it all, the traveling, the performing, the bands. It’s kind of sad we had such a short time to enjoy this.” Carly frowned as she stared out the window.

“Yeah, I’m gonna miss it all too.” Ken added.

“How about you Alissa?” Mike looked in the review mirror.

Alissa looked up from staring out the window, “It’s kinda sad. We’re making friendships with these people and now we’re gonna have to say goodbye.”

“Yeah, but this doesn’t mean it’s good bye forever.. Right?” Carly looked towards the rest of the people in the van for reassurance.

“It doesn’t have to be. But with the schedules we all live, it won’t be like you get to hang with them.” Dan answered.

“Yeah.” Carly frowned.

Three hours later the Infinite van pulled into the Zydeco club parking lot. As they all emerged from the van their bodies felt stiff and beaten up. “Good God, now we have to hurry up and do sound check.” Alissa sighed.

“Life as a rock star.” Carly smiled as she hopped out of the back of the van.

“Hey guys, you made it.” Taylor waved as he was going inside.

“Barely.” Alissa laughed.

“Long drive isn’t it?” He chuckled before he disappeared into the club.

Alissa moved in between Dan and Carly to grab her messenger bag in the back of the van. She placed it on her shoulder and moved away from the van staying in her own world. Until she saw Robert, she smiled “Hey handsome.”

He looked over, slowly a smile formed, “Beautiful.”

She walked up to him, he placed a hand on her back guiding her into the club, “Have a good drive?”

“Sure.” Alissa chuckled, “As good as a long trip can be in a cramped van.”

“I remember those days. Try driving through the desert in a cramped van.” he smiled. Robert removed his hand from her lower back and moved away, “I’ll see you later.”

She smiled and watched him go, Taylor looked over at her and smiled, She smiled back. Carly walked up behind her “We going to do sound check?”

Alissa looked over at Carly, “Yeah. Looks like we’ll have an audience.”

“Cool with me.” Carly smiled big.

“Hello Ladies. Now, how do you two do it?” Ned placed an arm over each of their shoulders as he stood in between them. Both girls looking up at him with smiles. “Do what?” Carly asked.

“Look so beautiful after a long road trip.” He winked.

Both girls giggled like school girls, “It’s a gift.” Alissa cracked before moving from his arm.

Ned still hanging on Carly, “What other gifts do you have?” He raised his eyebrows playfully at Carly.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” She flirted.

“Move away from the drummer Ned. We need her on stage.” Dan cracked.

Carly followed Dan to the stage, Infinite did a sound check like any other. But played off the fellas who watched. Everyone from Rooney except Louie was watching. Along with Carrick from Everybody Else. It helped with the energy on stage. Usually there was no effort in sound check, it was just enough singing and playing to get the gist of what the sound would be that evening. Today it was a whole other show.

After the thirty minute sound check the band stepped off stage. Alissa sat at a table in the corner, she wanted to watch Everybody Else do sound check and maybe hang with all the guys of both bands. She wanted to make sure to make the best of the last day. Carly walked over to Ned and Matt taking a seat across from Ned.

“Good Sound Check, felt like I got a free concert.” Ned smiled.

“Glad you enjoyed it.”

“So what’s the plan for you guys after today?” Matt asked while resting his arms on the table.

“Sadly we have no plans. But, I’m sure some shows will pop up. Ken will make a few calls and book something.” Carly smiled.

“Have you guys sent any of your demos to record companies?” Ned asked curious.

“We sent to three, but was rejected. I think it hurt our morale for the band pretty harshly. So we’re focusing on becoming stronger with our sound and then we’ll try again. I just think we tried to get signed too quickly.”

Both guys just nodded in understanding, “We’re gonna miss having you guys around here.” Ned smiled slightly.

“We’re going to miss all of this, trust me. We were all talking about it on the way here. It’s a sad day that’s for sure.” Carly frowned.

“Awe, come on, it’s not that bad. You’ll have more great gigs.” Ned reached over to rub her arm before leaning back in his chair.

“Of course.” Carly smiled.


Alissa watched Everybody Else do most of their sound check, she looked over to see that Carly was having fun talking with Ned and Matt. She thought about joining them but wasn’t sure if Matt was still in a bad mood. Alissa got up from the table and headed for the backstage area, when she got close to the door, she heard voices so she stopped.

“How’s things going with Alissa?” Taylor asked the other man in the room.

“What things?” Robert asked confused.

“Aren’t you two.. I mean, it seemed you two were enjoying each others company a lot.” Taylor tried to word things right.

“Yeah, we’re enjoying each others company.”

Alissa smiled as she leaned on the wall near the cracked door, listening to the conversation. Not feeling guilty at all for eavesdropping.

“So you’re interested in her?”

Robert just looked at Taylor trying to figure out what he was getting at, “If you mean as a friend yeah. I think Alissa and I could be really good friends. She’s a cool girl.”

“Is that all she sees out of it?” Taylor raised an eyebrow taking a sip of his Snapple.

“Yeah, we’re just friends. We would never work as anything else.” Robert chuckled shaking his head.

Taylor just kept his mouth shut and took another drink. Robert looked back at Taylor, “Why you ask?”

“No reason man, was just curious.”

Alissa stood there no longer with a smile. Her heart was breaking and no longer was she wanting the day to drag so she could enjoy each second. Now she just wanted to go home. She walked back out to the main room of the club, not looking up just focusing on the ground as she walked quickly out of the club.

“Where’s Alissa going in a hurry?” Matt asked as he watched her disappear out of the venue.

Carly looked over her shoulder not seeing Alissa anywhere, “What?”

“Alissa just rushed out of here.” Matt said matter-of-fact.

“I guess I should go check on her.” Carly stood up from the table, “Catch you guys later.”

“Latta.” They both responded.

Carly made her way out of the club and looked towards the van but didn’t see Alissa around or in the van. She looked around the parking lot and noticed the back of Alissa walking away from the club. Carly jogged towards her, “Hey wait up!” she called out. Alissa kept walking, not slowing her pace. “Alissa, Wait up!” Carly called out again while quickening her pace to catch up.

“What’s going on?”

Alissa stared at the ground as she kept walking, “Nothing.”

Carly creased her brow, “It’s something, come on spill.”

“I’d rather not talk about it. I’d like to be alone if that’s okay.”

Carly grabbed Alissa’s arm, “Come on, you can talk to me.”

“I feel like an idiot. And I’d rather not talk about it.” Alissa looked up at Carly, she wasn’t crying but Carly could tell she wanted to.

Carly looked back with sympathy, “We’ve all been there, you can talk to me about anything.”

“I thought Robert felt for me the way I do him, turns out all I could ever be is his friend.” Alissa frowned, a little anger in her tone.

Carly frowned, “He told you this?”

“No, I heard him tell Taylor. I’d die if he would have said it to my face.” Alissa brushed her hair behind her ears, as she walked over to the building nearby. She leaned against it, Carly followed.

“What happened to, ‘Friends can turn into something more?’ Isn’t that what you told me about Ned?”

“Ned didn’t say ‘It could never work as anything else.’ you still have hope. My hope was crushed into small little pieces.”

“You never know. Things change.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Alissa sighed.

Carly frowned, she didn’t know what to say, or do. This wasn’t her area, it was Kenny’s he was the one that always had the right things to say when ever one of them needed a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen. She wish he was there to help. The two girls stood there in silence, “Can I be alone for a minute? Please?” Alissa asked softly.

“Of course.” Carly walked off feeling bad she couldn’t help Alissa. When Carly walked back into the club she noticed Matt, Ned and Taylor all sitting around the table sharing a laugh about something. Carly scanned the room, not seeing any of the guys of her own band, she sighed.

“Carly , come on over.” Matt called out to her with a smile.

She smiled back, before she took a step she scanned the room one more time, no luck. She walked over to the table. “What you three talking about? Looks like you’re having some fun.”

“Just stupid stuff.” Ned smiled.

“Stupid stuff is always amusing.” Carly gave a half smile. She looked over at Taylor though he didn’t notice. She looked back at Ned who was just smiling away.

“Hey have you seen Alissa?” Carrick interrupted the four.

“She split.” Matt answered, his tone not very friendly.

“Actually she took a walk. I think she’s wanting some peace of mind time.” Carly added.

Carrick nodded, crossing his arms and chewing on the inside of his cheek, “So what’s up?”

Matt just starred at him, though no one could tell with his dark shades covering his eyes. Carly shrugged, as Taylor went to answer, “Not much man. Have a seat.”

“No thanks, uh, I’ll catch you guys later.” Carrick walked out of the club.

“What’s his deal?” Taylor chuckled.

“He’s Alissa’s shadow don’t you know?” Matt said annoyed.

Taylor looked at Matt then over at Ned who just gave him the ‘Don’t ask?’ look. Taylor then looked at Carly who was looking back at him. “No didn’t know that.” Taylor finally responded breaking away from Carly’s stare. He looked back at her confused. But she was no longer looking at him.

“Alissa has gotten a lot of attention these past three days from a lot of you boys. It’s hard to keep track.” Carly spoke.

“We don’t get girls around often enough. So we’ve caught ourselves swooning over you two.” Ned smiled.

“Is that what it is?” Carly raised an eyebrow.

“Not really, but it sounded good.” Ned smirked.

Carly rolled her eyes with a chuckle, “Whatever you say.”

“So Carrick and Alissa are..?” Taylor asked but not completely finishing his sentence.

“No, they’re just friends. Though I think Carrick wants more.” Carly responded.

“What does she want?” Matt asked.

“What is this? The Gossip Mill?” Carly laughed.

“Sorry.” Taylor smiled, “Didn’t mean to come off like I wanted gossip.”

“It’s cool.” Carly smiled back.

Matt wanted an answer but he wasn’t getting it, “I’m gonna.. I gotta do something.” Matt got up from the table and walked out of the club, all three looked at each other though no one spoke.