- Text Size +
“I’m so nervous.” Alissa fidgeted.

“Don’t. If you get going then I’m gonna start freaking out.” Carly grabbed her stomach.

“Girls, stop. Just think of it as another gig.” Kenny pulled into the parking lot of The Social.

They all climbed out of the van, Dan and Kenny grabbed their guitars from the back of the van, while the rest walked for the door. Alissa opened the door and took a deep breath, being prepared to see her favorite band. When they entered the club, they saw two guys in suits sitting in the middle of the club watching a band on stage. Alissa’s brow creased “That’s not Rooney.”

“Maybe they’re in the back.” Mike shrugged.

Carly walked up to Jose a friend of the bands who manages the club. “Hey Carly, glad to see you guys made it.”

“Of course we made it. But, where’s Rooney?”

“Oh.. Well, I guess they’re not in town yet. So they sent people ahead to choose the opening act for them. You guys still get to audition if they don’t choose two bands before seeing you.” Jose explained.

Carly frowned, “Well, I guess that makes it less nerve racking.” she walked over to her friends, they all turned to look at her.

“So?” Alissa asked.

“They’re not here, those two guys are doing the picking.” Carly said with a shrug.

“Oh.” Alissa frowned.

“Come on girls, this is about us getting a big gig, not about meeting some band.” Dan set his guitar down.

“We know that Dan.” Carly got annoyed.

“I’m just making sure you got the right mind set.” He sat down on a bar stool in the back of the club. Mike and Kenny taking seats with him. Carly and Alissa stood a foot away to have a better view of the stage, leaning up against the banister that divided the pit from the rest of the small club. Their view is perfect for sizing up their competition. “They’re pretty good, you think they’re local?” Alissa asked Carly.

“I’ve never seen them before, probably from South Florida.”

“Thanks that’s all, next!” one of the suits announced using his hands as he spoke.

“I wonder how their connected to Rooney.” Alissa whispered.

“Probably executives of the record company or something. Someone who doesn’t know what really works for the band.” Carly spoke with negativity, making Alissa feel more nervous about their chances.

As the next band walked on to the stage, Alissa and Carly looked at each other, “They’ll get it.”

Mike walked up to the girls, “Shit, why didn’t we know Dysfunction was going to be here?”

The girls just frowned, their biggest competition in the Central Florida area was now on stage performing for the spot Infinite needed. “They’re gonna get this gig, they always get our shows.” Mike got mad.

“Chill out. There’s two spots open so we still have a shot.” Alissa spoke without taking her eyes off the stage.

“Thank you, next!” the guy shooed the band off stage. Alissa raised an eyebrow looking over at Carly. They both smiled in hope.

The next band came on and pierced everyone’s ears, the feedback was bad but the bad guitar playing was worse. It only took seconds for them to be called off the stage, making it Infinite's turn. “Next!” he called out.

“That’s us.” Dan hopped up out of his seat, grabbing his guitar. Kenny right behind him, Carly twirling her drumsticks in her hand while following the two, Alissa right behind her. Mike going for the keyboards that were set up thanks to Jose. Alissa looked over her shoulder at Carly who started the count off, “1!.. 2!... 3!..” She started the beat and the song began. Alissa playing off the two guys as much as she could with them keeping straight faces. The band did half a song before being stopped, they did great and were feeling good and confident.

“Alright, give us a minute so we can discuss some things and we’ll announce the two acts for tomorrow night.” The younger guy spoke before walking off with the other suit.

Mike broke down his keyboards while they waited. Kenny and Dan placing their guitars back into the cases. Alissa paced while biting on her lower lip, Carly twirled a drumstick as she sat on the edge of the stage. “I hate waiting.” Alissa sighed.

“The hard part is over.” Carly smiled twirling both drumsticks.

The two guys walked back out, not taking their seats, they stood in the middle of the room, with all six bands gathered around the room. “Alright we made a decision on what Rooney is looking for, the two bands that are playing tomorrow are... Dysfunction and Built By Design. You’ll need to be here tomorrow by two o clock if you want a rehearsal time. Thank you for all who came out.”

Infinite congratulated the two bands, the guys of Dysfunction enjoying their win against them as usual. The five walked out of the club and piled their stuff into the van and headed home, all quiet and down. “Well it was a good shot. We just have to keep trying.” Kenny finally spoke.

“Yeah, I guess.” Carly gloomed.

“I can’t stand those guys from Dysfunction what is it about them that is so much better then us?” Alissa showed her annoyance.

“They are an all guy rock band.” Carly replied.

“What, since there’s two girls in this band it’s not as good?” Alissa growled.

“In most peoples minds, yes.”

“It has nothing to do with you being girls. It’s about what Rooney was looking for, and it wasn’t us. Why they like harder Rock groups opening for them is beyond me. But that’s obviously what they were going for.” Mike joined the conversation.

“Did anyone find out where that Built by Design band was from?” Dan asked.

“Yeah, Tampa. They’ve been together for six months. Lucky break I guess.” Alissa answered.

They pulled up to the house, all piled out of the van. “I’m going to head home you guys.” Alissa said with a frown.

“Oh come on, don’t go home yet. We have to have a pity party. Don’t leave me alone with these guys.” Carly locked her arm with Alissa’s dragging her towards the house.

“Hey you’re the one that moved in with two guys not me.” Alissa chuckled.

“Mike you’re staying too right?” Carly asked as she looked over her shoulder seeing him unload his keyboards.

“Yeah I’ll stay.” He smiled.

“Great, we’ll have ourselves a party. Pig out and get drunk party.” Carly chuckled.

****

Alissa moaned as she opened her eyes, “Oww, my head.” she whined. She looked around seeing she never made it home the night before, her body ached from sleeping on the couch. She sat up slowly and found Mike was on the floor and she just missed stepping on him. She felt nauseous so she laid back down, “Uhhhhhhhh.”

“You going to puke?” she heard Mike muffle from the floor.

“It could be possible.”

“We gotta get to work in fifteen minutes Alissa.” Dan stumbled out of his bedroom.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Alissa held her head, then her stomach, not sure which felt worse.

“No I’m not. Come on get moving.” He went into the kitchen and put together his hangover relief concoction.

Alissa stumbled off the couch trying not to step on Mike, but fell on him instead. “Ugh. Damn girl.”

“Sorry.” She pushed off him to stand up and walked for the bathroom. When she came out Dan stood there holding the most disgusting looking drink. She scrunched her nose, “I’m not drinking that. I just need coffee.”

“If you say so. But, we don’t have time to make coffee, make it at work.” Dan headed out of the house. Alissa followed him out, “I’m not driving, you can drive. And bring me back here tonight.”

“Fine.” Dan rolled his eyes and got into his car. Alissa closed her eyes the whole way to the record store the two have worked at for three years. Dan just recently getting promoted as day manager. Making Alissa have an easier schedule then before, thanks to her connection. They worked at an underground store that carried Vinyl, CD’s, and Cassettes of rare to find music.

The afternoon was a tough one for Alissa who kept downing coffee trying to get rid of the hung over feeling. Dan feeling he had to say I told you so, would remind her she declined his drink this morning every hour on the hour as if it was a game to him. She wanted to kill him. “You should let me go home. You don’t need me here.” Alissa pouted.

“Hell no, I’d be bored if you went home.” He chuckled.

Alissa rolled her eyes, “You’re mean.”

He just smiled, “If I was mean, I could turn the music up a few more notches.”

“Please don’t.” Alissa held her head at the thought.

The phone rang and she groaned, “The Jukebox, this is Alissa how can I help you?”

“Hey girl!” Carly spoke cheerfully.

“Why are you so happy?”

“Well Kenny and I plan on going to see Rooney tonight, figured if we can’t perform we should at least enjoy the show. So did you want to go with us?”

“Duh, of course I do. I want to kidnap Robert and take him home with me.” Alissa smiled at the thought.

“Cool, so you’re coming back here after work right?” Carly threw a twizzler at Kenny who was tormenting her.
“You’re such a dork, that’s why I broke up with you.” she chuckled.

“What?” Alissa got confused.

“Not you. Kenny.” Carly laughed.

“Oh, what was the question again?”

Carly laughed, “You gotta sober up girl, you’re seeing Rooney tonight.”

“I know.” She sighed. “I’ll be at your house after work. I’d be there earlier but Dan the man won’t allow me to go home early.”

“How would you get there? I drove you remember?” Dan raised his brow.

“Oh that’s right. I’m stuck.”

“Excuse me, you can talk to him later, I’m on the phone here.” Carly brought Alissa back to her.

“Yeah, what do you want?” Alissa chuckled slightly.

“Nothing. Just wanted to see if you wanted to go, you do, so that’s all. Talk to you later.” Carly hung up the phone.

“How is it her and Kenny didn’t have to work today? I thought Disney slave drove their employee’s.”

Dan laughed, “Good question.”

“You gonna go with us to see Rooney tonight?”

“Y’all going?” Dan creased his brow.

“Kenny, Carly and I are.” Alissa smiled.

“Nah, I’d rather crash early.” Dan nodded.

The day went by slow, along with Alissa’s hangover recovery. Once Dan and her got home, she found Carly and Kenny all ready for the nights concert, “Get ready so we can head out, it’s going to be nasty traffic on I- 4.” Kenny explained.

“Alright, Carly can I borrow some clothes?” Alissa asked.

“Help yourself.” Carly motioned for her to go, Carly was busy watching a movie to give too much attention.

Alissa grabbed some clothes took a quick shower and the three left by six. They were on their way to enjoy a night with Rooney.