- Text Size +
Mike walked into the house late Saturday afternoon, finding the rest of his band mates sitting around talking. “What’s going on? What have I missed?”

“Well, Carly and I finished a song thanks to the help of Dan. And we have been just talking about set lists and site stuff. You haven’t missed too much, we’ve been waiting on you for schedule talk.” Alissa informed.

“Sorry I’m late. I had lab time at school.” Mike sat on the floor near Dan and Carly.

“What time is it?” Dan asked to no one in particular as he looked over at the VCR clock. “Damn it’s only one? Feels like it should be much later.”

“We keeping you?” Carly raised an eyebrow.

“No, but I will admit I’m getting antsy with no shows lined up.”

“We all are.” Mike sighed.

The five made out their Band calender in a well used day planner they use only for the band. Putting a line through days they can’t perform due to work or other plans. This way they can sit down and call clubs and not have to worry about over booking themselves. It’s been the best thing they’ve come up with when it comes to organizing the band. “So basically we are going to have more week day shows this month then weekend.” Carly commented while looking over the planner.

“It doesn’t matter, just as long as we get to play.” Ken enforced.

“True.” she shrugged.

The phone rang, Dan reached for the phone, “Make some noise.”

The caller chuckled, “Good song, can I speak with Kenny?”

“Yeah, hold on.” Dan reached his arm out towards Ken, “For you.”

Kenny grabbed the phone, “This is Ken.”

“What’s up man? This is Ned from Rooney.”

Ken got a smirk, “Not much. How’s it going on your end?”

“Partying like a rock star. Look here’s the thing. Rooney needs a strong opening act for some up coming dates. It’s only three shows but we’d like you guys to open for us. What do you say?”

Ken’s eyes got wide, “Uh I’ll have to talk that over with the band. First where are these shows?”

That got the attention of the rest of the room, all excited having any show at this point. They stared down Ken who listened to everything the caller had to say. Kenny finally put the person on hold and filled the band in. “Alright do we have this next week clear? Cause we can book three gigs out of state right now. Two Georgia dates and one Alabama date. We’d have to leave tomorrow to perform tomorrow night in Athens, Georgia.”

Carly looked down at the planner, “Well the only thing is two of us have to work on Monday, but that’s the only day that’s a problem. Dan can you get that day off?”

“Yeah I’ll work it out.” He nodded.

“Alright, well I’ll just switch with someone or call in sick so yeah we can book those days.” Carly smiled.

Ken brought the phone up to his ear, “Looks like we can do it. Thank you so much for this opportunity.”

“No problem man, We’re looking forward to having you on the tour. See you tomorrow.” Ned smiled.

“See you tomorrow.” Ken hung up the phone.

“So who was that?” Alissa curious to whom would want them out of state.

“Oh, no one really. Just Ned from Rooney.” He smiled at the end of his sentence.

Carly and Alissa’s mouths dropped. They looked at each other then screamed. “AHHHH! OhMyGod! We’re Opening For Rooney!!” They got up to jumped up and down while holding hands and squealing about. The guys all smiling and just as excited but playing it cool.

Carly and Alissa pounced on Kenny giving him kisses and hugs showing their thanks for taking that call. “I can’t believe this. Can you believe this!?” Carly sat back catching her breath.

“It’s unbelievable. Dude, did he say how he got our number?” Mike asked.

“Our website.” Ken smiled.

“Oh God, we need to practice.” Alissa’s face got flushed, “We’re not ready, This is Rooney, we’re opening for Rooney.”

“Alright girl, before you puke, remember this is exactly what we wanted.” Ken fanned Alissa with his hand.

“We have to get packed, and rehearse. So what first?” Dan pushed up off the couch.

“Rehearse.” everyone agreed.

The band rehearsed for an hour making sure each song they planned on doing tomorrow night will be 110% ready. “I think the best thing for us to do now is go pack and get to bed early. We have to drive to Georgia tomorrow and our sound check is at one in the afternoon so we have to leave here early.” Ken took charge.

“Yeah, I agree. I’m gonna pack then post on our site the tour dates. So the fans around the area will be able to come out and see us.” Mike informed his plans.

“Sounds all good. Come pick me up as early as you need to. Just give me a call a head of time.” Alissa couldn’t take the smile off her face. “This is going to be the best week of our lives.” She announced before getting in her car.

Everyone went their ways to get ready for the biggest tour of the bands life. Only three gigs but the most important gigs they will be playing in the bands history to date. The pressure was kicking in and all was feeling the nerves. The next morning came very early, The van pulled up to Alissa’s apartment at four-thirty in the morning. She was barely awake as she piled her two bags into the van. She crawled all the way into the back seat of the van where she got to stretch out and have the seat to herself. Falling right back asleep. The only two awake in the van were the two up front, Ken and Dan.


“How much farther?” Mike asked as he yawned.

“Well it’s a seven hour drive. And we’ve only been on the road for two so figure it out.” Dan grumbled, while they waited for Ken to fill the gas tank.

“Dan you want me to sit up there so you can sleep? I can keep Ken awake for awhile.” Carly offered.

“Yeah, I could use the sleep.” Dan climbed out of the front seat, making his way to the back seat where Carly and him had to squeeze pass each other. Carly sat in the drivers seat figuring it’d be a good break for Ken also.
The drive felt very long since it’s been awhile from the last time they did a trip to Athens. Everyone taking turns behind the wheel. Making sure all had a good rest so they would be fresh for the show that evening. As they pulled into the parking lot of 40 Watt, the club they will be playing tonight, Everyone perked up. “Looks like Rooney is already here.” Carly smiled.

“Think they’re awake?” Alissa laughed, knowing that most likely they weren’t.

“It’s one-thirty they probably are just now waking up.” Mike entered the conversation.

“Let’s make sure we still have sound check time. We’re thirty minutes late.” Ken frowned, showing his worry.

The band emerged from the van, all stretching their bodies and happy to be out of the vehicle. Carly, Alissa and Dan hung around the back of the van. The back doors open showing their instruments and luggage. Dan sat on the edge of the bumper, resting his arm on one of his amps. “At least we made it.”

Carly and Alissa smiled over at him, “Yep.” both looking back over at the bus.

He chuckled, “Hoping to see someone?”

“No.” Carly stuck her tongue out at Dan.

Ken and Mike joined the three at the back of the van, “Let’s unload they’re allowing us to do sound check. The other band ended up taking our time so we could have their time once we got here.”

“Who’s the other band?”

“Everybody Else.”

Alissa’s mouth dropped, “What? No way.” she began to bounce with giddiness.

“I thought they only did California shows.” Dan creased his brow.

“Looks like their getting out.” Mike shrugged.

“This is so cool. They’re an unsigned band as well. And great music, I can’t wait to see them live.” Alissa still in the middle of her excitement.

“Well, she’s happy.” Carly laughed.

“Look who’s talking.” Ken teased.

The five walked into the 40 Watt club once owned by one of the guys from REM. A club with much musical history. Bigger then it appears on the outside, a typical stage size for small clubs. But the rest of the place made up for the small stage. Two bars, a back lounge, and for the performers there was three dressing rooms along with a third bar in the back lounge. The main club floor was a good size for about eight hundred people to squeeze in, the ceiling had streaming light bulbs hanging, giving you the feel of being out in the middle of a street party. Alissa saw a tall skinny guy near the stage, when he turned around she knew it was Carrick the lead singer of Everybody Else. She smiled as she and the band we’re heading for the stage to set up their equipment. “Who’s the drummer of the band?” Mike the drummer of E.B.E. asked coming out of no where.

Carly lifted her drumsticks, “That would be me.”

“Ned doesn’t like having to break down and reset up his drums before doing a show. So if it’s alright with you, all three of us use his drums, you can adjust them to fit your style. But he’d be happy if we just use his drums so there’s no long stage set up in between acts.”

“That’s fine, I can play any drum in front of me.” Carly smiled.

“Anything else we need to know?” Dan asked as he stepped on the stage with guitar in hand.

“You use your own amps, mics, guitars, etc. Rooney’s pretty easy to open for, they want everyone to have a good time and have a good show.” Carrick responded with a smile.

“Cool, thanks.” Dan nodded.

“By the way, We’re Infinite. That’s Dan over there. Ken, Mike and you’ve sorta met Carly already. And I’m Alissa.”

“I’m Carrick and that’s Mike. We have a third but he’s missing at the moment.” Carrick chuckled.

“It’s nice to meet you both. I’m a big fan of your band.” Alissa smiled.

“Really? Didn’t know anyone knew we existed outside of Cali.” Mike smiled back.

“You’d be surprised, to be honest I didn’t know who you were until I found Rooney. But like most of their fans, I came across a lot of great California bands thanks to them.” Alissa explained.

“It’s good to know. They’re good friends of ours, Rooney and us have been struggling musicians for years. So that means, a lot of duo shows around L.A.. This is our first tour outside the state of California. We’ve only done one show so far on this tour. And we had a pretty good response. Is this your first time playing for Rooney?” Carrick staying in the conversation.

“Yep, we met them a few days ago, and now we’re opening for them. It’s all a little surreal.” Carly chuckled.

“I know what you mean.. Well we’ll let you get set up and see you later.” Mike and Carrick walked off, leaving Infinite setting up their amps and mics, talking with the sound guy to adjust the sounds to their liking before really starting sound check. With Carly not having to set up her drums it didn’t take as long as usual for them to start sound check.

“How much time do we get?” Alissa talked into the mic over at Paul, the sound guy.

He looked at his watch, “Rooney doesn’t do sound check for another two hours.”

“Great, well if it’s okay I’d like to do at least three songs.”

He motioned for her to do her thing. “You guys ready?” Alissa asked the band.

“Ready when you are.” Carly twirled a drumstick in her right hand.

“Let’s do ‘Mystery’, ‘Lonesome’, and ‘Moment’.” Alissa made eye contact with each member of the band, making sure everyone was cool with the songs. Sound check went pretty well, only a few glitches with feedback and Alissa messing up on the words of Lonesome. Sound check only took thirty minutes to get through, they were all happy with the sound. Breaking from the stage and wandering the club, Carly and Alissa headed outside to enjoy the sun while the guys went to find the dressing room they’ll be using for the day. “I still can’t believe we’re here opening for Rooney.” Carly smiled over at Alissa.

“It’s so crazy. I wish they’d come alive so we can thank them for having us.” Alissa took a seat on the cement parking lot, leaning up against the black brick wall of the club.

“I want to watch their sound check.” Carly spoke honestly.

The two girls passed the time chatting about various things while waiting for Rooney to come off the bus just a few feet away, there was a few Rooney fans wandering around outside, Carly and Alissa blending in well with them, the Georgia sun was feeling good against their skin, and both were unable to stop smiling, happy to be living out their dream.