- Text Size +

He knew she was doing on purpose, he just knew it because it was so typical of a spiteful, hateful, evil bitch. Every time he would start to drift off to sleep she would start yelling again. He’d given up going down there long ago, not having the energy anymore to go running down the hall to yell at her.

‘Why couldn’t this music guy’s kid been a boy? Why did it have to be a woman?’ Nick grumbled to himself, the other guys were probably snoring away in their bedrooms upstairs and he had yet to sleep at all. AJ and Howie both worked in the evening, and Brian had the day off so he didn’t expect to see any of them downstairs any time soon. 

He finally relented and got up; throwing on a random hooded sweatshirt that had been lying on the back of the chair. Nick rubbed his eyes as he made coffee, throwing the filter and the coffee into the maker before dramatically pressing the button. Once it was made he poured out two mugs, topping his off with cream and sugar. He thought for a moment then walked over to the locked door, unbolting everything before putting the mask back on.

“Do you want some coffee?” he asked the girl who was now lying on the mattress (Brian had been smart enough to remove everything from Nick’s room save for his mattress– where his stuff was now remained a mystery.)

“What kind of kidnapper are you?” Elena asked, finding this guy so bizarre. It was like he wanted more than anything to be a tough guy but at the same time was offering her beverages and snacks like it was tea time at Buckinham Palace. (If Buckingham Palace smelled like sweat socks and stale beer, that is.)

“Do you want coffee or do you want nothing? Take your pick.”

She sighed and sat up on the mattress, “Yes, fine, I’ll have some. I take milk.”

“I only have cream,” Nick informed her.

“You don’t have milk?” she asked, genuinely surprised.

“No, I don’t. This isn’t a fucking restaurant!” he could not believe the audacity of this girl. Sure she was rich and probably pampered but seriously, when your kidnapper is offering you luxuries you don’t complain. 

“I’ll take what you have, keep your panties on!” Elena barked and she saw him visibly flinch. She was a good reader of people, and she knew exactly what type of person he was. He wasn’t in charge of this operation, he wasn’t the kidnapper he was the sidekick. The sidekick never thinks for his or her self. They’re told what to do, and Elena knew that this guy definitely spent a lot of time getting told what to do. Those were the types of people she crushed on a daily basis. 

He shut the door then grabbed the mug that he’d poured for her (resisting the urge to jerk off into it) and left it just inside the room. 

“How will I see the mug?” Elena questioned.

Nick let out a frustrated sigh and shrugged his shoulders, “How do blind people drink coffee?”

“Touché,” she said, hoping she would have been able to trick him into getting her some light. Maybe he wasn’t as big of a pushover as she thought. 

“What?”

She chuckled, “It’s French, it’s used to acquiesce a point as true.”

Nick scoffed, “Yeah I knew that, I meant what for…oh never mind! Here’s your coffee I’ll be back to check on you later.”

Elena moved to grab the mug as he closed the door and she smiled to herself as she heard him bolting it back up. If her father wasn’t going to pay her ransom (like she knew he wouldn’t) then she would just have to get herself out and she knew exactly how she could do it. She didn’t know who the real kidnapper was like but she had a feeling she could wear that guy down in no time. If there was anything valuable she’d learned from her father it was how to be cutthroat and find the weaknesses in even the best of people. 

“What the hell does acquiesce mean anyway?” Nick grumbled to himself as he sipped his coffee at the table. 

He couldn’t believe she’d managed to manipulate him so well, and so quickly. He wasn’t sure if he should mention it to Brian because he didn’t want to seem like even more of a chump than he normally was. The girl had seen his tattoos (probably somehow memorized them) and could completely confuse him with her fancy, educated words. He’d expected her to be frantic and scared but he was fairly certain he was more afraid of her than she was of him. She was too smart for her own good (or maybe his own good) and that worried him. He didn’t want to have to use plan B. 

When they were thinking up the arrangements for the whole thing Nick had suggested just using a room, no restraints. He, of course, didn’t want to hurt anybody. Regardless of that Howie had gotten things like handcuffs and blindfolds just in case things got out of hand. The only thing they had that Nick wasn’t allowed to touch was Brian’s gun. It was off limits, and only a last resort. Brian for some reason didn’t trust Nick with that kind of firepower. Maybe it was that time when they were kids and Nick shot Brian in the face with a pellet gun that deemed the younger man unreliable. Sometimes when Nick noticed the scar on Brian’s cheek he laughed to himself secretly, and didn’t feel guilty.

“Good morning,” Brian said and Nick jumped a foot out of his seat with shock. He hadn’t heard anyone up, let alone anyone enter the room.

“Actually it’s after noon,” Nick pointed out, “Why are you up?”

Brian shrugged, “Just couldn’t sleep,” he said as he opened the fridge.

“There’s coffee.”

“There’s no milk,” Brian interrupted, turning to look at Nick, “Why didn’t you buy more?”

“I didn’t use the last of it!” Nick defended, “Whoever finished the container should have bought more.”

“Whatever Nick,” Brian rolled his eyes, “Just get off your ass and go get some today. I’ll give you a list.”

Nick glared at Brian’s back as he turned away and sighed. Nick do this, Nick do that, Nick buy milk, Nick watch the girl, Nick don’t leave your dirty underwear on the bathroom floor, all they had were demands. He felt like Cinderella, the next step was for him to be on the floor washing the individual tiles with a toothbrush. He needed to start standing up for himself, he’d let them rule his life for…well, all of it.

“Why don’t you go buy milk?” he asked, puffing his chest slightly as if to show Brian he meant business. 

Brian simply rolled his eyes at the blonde, taking a bite out of a piece of bread, “Shut up. Just go buy milk,”

“Yeah okay,” Nick nodded with a sigh, so much for standing up for himself. 

“Have you checked on her?” Brian asked, motioning towards the door.

“Yeah, I brought her some coffee earlier, she seems okay,” the blonde shrugged.

Brian eyed him suspiciously for a moment, “Don’t let her get the upper hand okay? I know how you can be, especially with women. Don’t let her take advantage of you. We’re giving you this opportunity to prove to us that you’re going to be a valuable salesperson at Tiger River Spa and Jacuzzi.”

“Tiger River?” Nick asked, holding back his laughter.

“AJ came up with it; both Howie and I liked it.”

“I think that name is stupid,” Nick said honestly, “Thanks for asking for my input.”

“We just figured you’d never be able to make up your mind on a name anyway,” Brian shrugged.

“Wow, you sure are lucky you’re my best friend or I might start to question the amount of confidence you have in me.”

Brian reached over and ruffled Nick’s hair with a smile, “You love it, besides even if you did get mad what would you do? Second guess me to death or just apologize to me for getting angry?”

“I’d try to second guess you to death first,” Nick warned, trying to sound stern. 

“Ooh, I’m scared. I’ll make you out that grocery list.”

Nick nodded and put down his mug, getting ready for another day of being Cinderella.