- Text Size +

Sheila finally died in June of 1943. While Nick was on a boat headed to Sicily, Mary was burying not only her mother in law but her past as well. With the help of Robert she had been more than prepared for that day. The day after the funeral Jonathon was served with divorce papers (no need for judges to be involved because she wanted nothing), and she moved into her new home – Mary and Nick’s that is. Robert had helped her out with getting the mortgage for a small house within walking distance of Robert, and Nick’s job. Robert had opted not to bring Nick’s things to the house. Trying to be somewhat traditional, he wanted Nick to have at least proposed before they started living in sin. 

Now that Mary was on her own she was subject to things like food rations, a setback she’d been able to avoid at the O’Hara’s. Money really could buy you anything and now Mary was determined to make some of her own. The money she’d saved had gone towards the fees for her divorce and was also going to furnish their home. She needed a job; luckily it was not too difficult for a woman with her lack of experience to find a job nowadays. Most of the men were gone so almost everyone was looking for help. She wanted Nick to come home and see her accomplishments and be proud of her. She was excited at the prospects that lie in front of her and was quickly engulfed in the world of employment. She got the first job she’d interviewed for, a position at the library stacking books. The man in charge was impressed by her knowledge of books as well as her figure in the fitted dress she’d chosen to wear that day (admittedly one of Nick’s favourites as well). 

So far everything was falling perfectly into place. She was no longer subject to the O’Hara’s tyranny, and she had found a new family who loved and appreciated her. She received letters from Nick once (sometimes twice) a month depending on how busy he was and the speed of the mail and looked forward to his return every day. Mary longed to be a perfect wife for Nick and do all the things she’d been taught in etiquette school as a young girl; part of which, for her, meant brushing up on the skills he had taught her about sewing while he was away. After all, she needed something to do during the day once she was back to being housewife. Now all she needed was the “husband” back in one piece. 

The first accessory for the new house was a blue star service banner in the window, so everyone would know she had a loved one in the war. There were very few people in the upscale end of town who didn’t know that her flag and Robert’s were for the same person. In this neighbourhood though, very few people knew of her and merely saw her as a proud military wife. 

After a day full of painting and decorating Mary got dolled up then headed down to the cinema to meet Robert and watch the newsreel. He was also treating her to a picture. It was an older film, Camille, starring Greta Garbo. Robert had said Nick would love it if she saw the picture – it was his absolute favourite. 

Robert paid the half dollar for them to get in and they settled into their seats just as the news started. The invasion of Italy was first on the reel, and the reporter talked about how the First Infantry had encountered heavy resistance on the way in, and had many injured. The next shot on the screen made Mary and Robert both thankful and worried equally. As the voice described the scene of a young soldier temporarily deafened by a blast as he saved a comrade, video of Nick appeared on the screen. It was apparent that some people in the audience recognized him because gasps could be heard from other people watching the tape. He was filthy; his face caked with mud, and even with the fuzzy black and white picture there was no mistaking the blood coming from his ears. Just as quickly as he appeared, he was gone and the news moved on to something else.

“He’s alive,” Robert said reassuringly, patting Mary’s shaking hand. 

Mary could feel eyes on her from around the theatre as she resisted the temptation to get up and leave, “For how much longer though?” she whispered rhetorically, wrapping her arms around her body.