- Text Size +

‘Sewing is boring,’ Mary repeated to herself for the third time in an hour. She’d had five lessons, each as dull as the next. Mary knew that Nick had been serious about teaching her to sew, she just never realized how serious. From the moment he arrived at her door until the moment he left the sewing machine would be going. The only time she stopped was when he was giving her the next instructions. It seemed that her streak of getting her way was coming to an end. 

Where Mary believed that Nick just wasn’t interested, he actually had different motives for his actions. His first visit had been completely supervised by the elder Mrs. O’Hara. He could sense that she didn’t want him there and was checking up on them. As each lesson came and went the older woman seemed to be looking in on them less and less and by this point, six weeks in, she finally decided to leave for her daily tea and bridge game. Nick was now worried about what was going to happen while they were alone. 

Mary had been trying, although poorly, to seduce him for months. During their lessons she’d lightly touch his back or arm and lean in very close while he spoke. She had also managed to wear the most revealing clothes in her wardrobe. He never let her know it but she was driving him crazy. Crazy with lust, that is. He was afraid that once they were alone Mary would make her move and he wouldn’t be able to tell her no. He didn’t want to deny her, but he had no plans on becoming a home wrecker any time soon. 

When the front door closed they both knew that Sheila was gone and anything could happen. Mary grinned and Nick immediately picked up the pattern they’d been working on, studying it like he’d never laid eyes on it before. 

“Looks like we’re all alone,” Mary said coyly, her hands playing with a piece of fabric. 

“Certainly seems that way,” Nick agreed without taking his eyes away from the pattern papers in front of him. 

Mary sighed loudly. She’d thought about this moment many times. In her head Sheila left and they would drop what they were doing and start tearing each other’s clothes off. 

‘What would the women in the books do?’ She questioned silently, knowing she could be as wild or daring as any one of the fictional romance heroines. Excusing herself to get a glass of water Mary ran to her room then grabbed her favourite silk robe and set her plan into motion. 

“Must be a really tall glass,” Nick muttered to himself as he waited for Mary to return. He was about to get up and see what was keeping her when she suddenly appeared in the doorway and cleared her throat.

He was frozen in shock, not from her magician-like entrance but because she stood before him in nothing but a small silk robe. He wasn’t sure what to do, his body was telling him to bow down at her feet and do her bidding but his brain was saying ‘RUN!’ He didn’t even get the chance to think before the robe hit the floor and all thoughts of leaving flew out the window. 

Nick was in awe, Mary was more beautiful than he had originally imagined. Perfect ivory skin, soft curves, and just a little bit fleshy – the way he loved his women. ‘Snap out of it!’ he scolded his overactive libido, ‘she’s married!’

“What are you doing?” he finally asked with a shaky voice. 

Mary loved his reaction but had worried momentarily that they would end up standing there all day in silence while he stared, “Do you want me to cover up?” she asked innocently, biting her lip. 

“No! Yes! Oh, all right, no, but you’re married so yes!” a jumble of words fell from his mouth quite ungracefully. He stepped towards her and picked up the robe then placed it back around Mary’s shoulders. 

She sighed, disappointed. Then men in her books would have never turned down an offer as good as the one she’d just presented to him. “Married?” she scoffed; “You’ve seen more of me today than my husband has since, well, ever!” 

“It’s just not right,” Nick calmly spoke. He could hardly believe that a man like Jonathon would pass up someone like Mary. He had the perfect woman and he was passing up the opportunity. He then realized what he’d been thinking, the perfect woman? No, Mary was the perfect girl. She was just that, a girl. She was perfect because she hadn’t had time to garner imperfections. She was young, naïve, and inexperienced. She also has money and was used to getting things she wanted. For some reason though, she wanted him.

“Why not?” she asked and her question broke him from his revelations. 

“Adultery is a sin,” Nick answered with a shrug, “Besides, I’m not sure I can give you what you want.”

“What is it that you think I want?”

Nick paused, knowing he would need to choose his words wisely, “I think you’re looking for someone who can teach you things... more than just about sewing but about relationships, about sex, and maybe even about love.”

“You’re wrong,” Mary said, her eyes glossy with tears she refused to shed, “I’m not looking for someone. I was looking for you.”

Nick never imagined he would ever be in a situation where he was telling a half-naked girl all the reasons why they shouldn’t be together. “What makes you think I can teach you those things? I’m about as inexperienced as you are in some ways. I’ve been in one serious relationship, in 1930 with a girl I didn’t love who I only ever held hands with. Nine years ago, when I was a year older than you are now, that hardly makes me worth learning from. Speaking of which, I’m too old for you.”

“I’m not asking you to be an expert, nor did I expect it!” Mary said, becoming more frustrated and embarrassed by the second. “Age is a number and I don’t like you because I wanted to learn from you. I just like you. I’ve never felt this way about anyone. I liked you from the moment I saw you. You’re different from everyone I’ve ever met! I didn’t marry Jonathon because I love him. I did it because my parents told me to. If I had a choice I would have married someone like you. If we’d met before, I would have married you. I can’t describe the way I feel except to say I feel like I’ve known you my whole life.”

There was something about her that made it impossible to let her down. Nick didn’t know how to say no to her. Her words were so sweet and honest that he knew she would be able to change his decisions no matter what she said. 

“I feel that way too,” he admitted, tired of trying to pretend he wasn’t interested, “I was drawn to you that first day. I couldn’t stop thinking about you.”

They both breathed a sigh of relief after openly admitting their feelings. There was a few seconds of silence before Nick stepped forward again and slowly brought his hands to Mary’s face. His thumbs gently caressed her skin and he looked into her eyes. 

“Enough of this,” Mary grinned and grabbed Nick by the shirt collar. Pulling him flush against her she pressed her lips against his tightly. The kiss was chaste and after a moment Nick pulled away. He had been worried about what Mary expected but now that she had taken charge he was not going to hold her back. 

“Maybe there is something I can teach you after all,” he whispered. Nick caressed her jaw then went in for another kiss. This time though, he pressed the tip of his tongue against her bottom lip, encouraging her to open her mouth. Once she did he deepened the kiss, loving the feel of her soft tongue against his. He refrained from touching her barely covered body and kept his hands on her face. He merely wanted to take this moment to enjoy their passion. 

When they pulled apart again Mary had a dreamy look in her eye and swollen lips. She slowly smiled, pressing a hand to her chest as she spoke, “I do believe you just helped me commit a sin,” she joked flirtatiously. 

“I’m not actually Catholic,” he replied while running a hand over her hair. 

“Good, because we’re about to do it again,” she pulled him into an embrace, her lips quickly seeking his out.