- Text Size +


Nick had a long talk with his father that night, and he knew as he got up the next morning what he had to do; he had to end things with Mary, it was the only way. Even though it had never been said during their talk, Nick had a feeling that his father was embarrassed by his actions. What kind of son was he to shame his family over a married woman? 

He went to the O’Hara’s at a time he knew Sheila would be gone for tea and Jonathon would still be at work. 

“Just couldn’t stay away?” Mary grinned as she opened the door but her smile dropped when she saw the serious and determined look on Nick’s face. 

“We have to talk,” The statement may have been cliché but it was direct. 

“Oh, okay,” May ran a nervous hand through her hair as she lead Nick through the house and out to the garden where she had been reading before he’d come calling, “What’s wrong?”

Nick took a deep breath, mustering the courage to do what he knew was necessary. Neither of them heard Sheila enter the house from the garden at that very moment. Her friend hadn’t been feeling well so she returned home early, surprised to see Nick’s bicycle sitting out front, since there was no scheduled lessons for that day. For that reason she was extra quiet when she came in the door. She checked the sewing room and found it empty, then moved about the house until finally spotting the two of them sitting outside. Sheila crept closer, being quieter than ever before in her life, and listened. 

“We can’t do this anymore,” Nick finally spoke, looking down at his hands. He knew that if he looked at her she would use her ability to win him over and then he’d never be able to break up with her. 

Mary played with her glass of iced tea, wondering what had changed since the day before when he was professing his love to her, “Do what?” She asked with faux naivety. 

“This relationship, this affair, all of it, It has to end now before someone gets hurt.”

“What you’re doing right now is hurting me,” Mary whispered with her voice full of tears. 

“It’s not all candy and roses for me either Mary but someone has to take responsibility here and think beyond dreams. You’re married and I can’t risk my father’s reputation knowing that nothing is ever going to happen with this. I want to be able to love you wholly, in front of everyone, and be loved in return but it’s just not what’s in the cards for us,” Nick was trying to be gentle but he knew by her angry tears that he was not getting off that easily. 

“You’re more concerned about reputation then you are about us! If you really loved me you wouldn’t care about things like that! You shouldn’t care what other people think!” 

“That’s not fair!” Nick snapped. He reached over and took her chin in his hand, turning her to face him, “I want nothing more than to be able to not care. You’re hiding just as much as I am. It’s because I love you that I worry about things like this, I don’t want anyone to get hurt if it can be avoided. I don’t want anyone to treat you badly if they find out either.”

Mary nodded her head and through her tears she silently wished she could make time stop, and just stay here with him forever. Nick had always treated her like an adult, it was one of the many things that she loved and respected about him so she didn’t want to act childishly and throw a fit. No matter how badly she wanted to. She quickly moved from her seat into Nick’s lap, kissing him deeply. She knew it was probably the last time and wanted to make it last. 

“You’re right,” she whispered as she pulled away, her fingertips touching his lips lightly. 

“I’m sorry,” he returned. 

Inside, Sheila could hardly believe her eyes. She finally could take no more of their adultery and stepped out of the shadows. 

“You should be sorry!” both Mary and Nick turned at the sound of her voice, “You, you whore!” Sheila sneered at Mary before turning on Nick, “And you! I should turn you into the police for taking advantage of a poor, defenceless, young girl! You both disgust me! Mary, go in the house!” the older woman barked out orders, grabbing Mary’s arm while pushing her towards the French doors. As soon as it was just her and Nick outside, she approached him slowly and methodically, sizing him up. He opened his mouth as if to say something but before he could she attacked. He hand snaked out with lightening fast speed and before he knew it she’d slapped him across the face. Nick was genuinely surprised by her strength, his hand coming to rest against his reddening cheek. 

“If I ever see you near this house again I will have you arrested. If I ever find out you’ve had any contact with Mary, I will have you arrested. As for your father’s reputation – consider it ruined,” Sheila’s face was stone cold as she threatened the young man. People like him were like rocks in her shoe – annoying and completely insignificant in the end, “I’m sure you can show yourself out,” she sneered, walking back towards the house. 

“Yes ma’am,” Nick whispered, still holding his face as he walked out the back gate, then towards his bicycle. He sat for a few minutes in front of the house, trying to figure out what had just happened. If he hadn’t come over, if he hadn’t wanted to break up, if he had only waited, then things would be different. He would still be with Mary, they would be happy and he wouldn’t feel all the shame that he felt at that moment. He had let Mary down, as well as his father and he felt terrible about it. He felt more terrible though about the other feelings he was having. The ones that were telling him above anything that he’d made a mistake. He was never going to get over Mary, because he was always going to want her back.