- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Eight – December 31 – Kevin

“Daddy got me lots of mooovies!” Mason said. He practically shoved a copy of Toy Story 3 in Kristin’s face. She took it and held it out.

“I’ve got this for you too.” She looked up at me and handed the case to me.

“Maybe you should keep this at your place.”

“Sure,” I said. I didn’t feel like arguing. Instead I knelt down and placed my large hands on Mason’s small shoulders.

“You be good, okay buddy? I’ll see you really soon.”

“I love you, daddy,” he said quietly. I pulled him into a large bear hug and closed my eyes.

This was always going to be the hardest part.

“Let’s go sweetheart,” Kristin said. “Santa left you presents to open at the apartment.”

Mason looked at me and then at Kristin.

“Santa lives in Ken-too-ky.”

Kristin gave me a look but I didn’t feel the need to explain. Instead I kissed Mason’s forehead and stood up.

“Let me know if Mason needs anything,” I said. Kristin nodded and grabbed his bags.

“I will,” she said.

And just like that they were gone.

I didn’t stand around to dwell. I hailed a taxi from the airport to a hotel near Les Deux, the club where we would be making our big announcement. A tuxedo was already ready and waiting. As I dressed I couldn’t help but think how much better the evening would be with a date.

A brunette. From Kentucky.

I straightened my tie and did my own hair. Unlike Nick who loved to spend hours in a chair getting primped, I preferred to do it myself. And, I must admit, I don’t do a bad job.

At nine o’clock a limo waited outside my hotel to take me to Les Deux. I could have walked there, but the music execs wanted to make sure we all arrived in style.

I realized quickly that not much had changed in five years. I was still the first Backstreet Boy down the red carpet. I met up with the executives.

“So glad to have you on board, Kevin.”

“It’s going to be great to have all five of you back together.”

“Good to be back,” I said. We talked briefly; a few of them had seen my performance in Chicago. After awhile I excused myself and grabbed a bottled water from a passing waitress.

“Well, look what the cat dragged in.”

I turned around to see Brian, Leighanne, and Baylee. I laughed as Brian slapped my back. I pulled him in for a hug.

“How was your Christmas?”

“Great, yours?”

“Can’t complain.”

“How long have you been here?”

“Since eight thirty. That’s the time we all agreed to meet.”

“Baylee dropped a spoon down the garbage disposal while it was still running. It’s not easy trying to fix your disposal when you’re in a tux.”

I picked a piece of wilted lettuce off of his lapel and laughed.

“So I see.”

A little while later, Howie, Leigh, Nick, and Olivia wove their way up to us. Leigh and Olivia’s eyes widened when she saw me.

“Surprise,” I said, smiling.

“I didn’t expect to see you here!” Leigh said happily.

Well, I had to fly Mason back to spend New Year’s with Kristin and I, er…” I trailed off, realizing that if I said any more that I would give away the surprise.

“It’s always good to see you,” Olivia said. Nick pulled her close.

Brian launched into a conversation about kids; my heart panged. I missed Mason already. Brian had Baylee; Howie had James…even Nick had a little one on the way. And they were all here to celebrate.

“So when are you making the announcement?” I heard Olivia ask.

“Eleven,” AJ said.

“Do you know what it is?”

Olivia was staring at me. I blinked rapidly, trying to get my thoughts back into the conversation at hand. I smiled.

“I plead the fifth.”

I heard Brian clear his throat. “I think we’ll make our announcement right now.”

I arched an eyebrow. “Your announcement?”

Brian looked at Leighanne; she smiled.

“Brian and I are expecting,” Leighanne said.

“Expecting what?” AJ blurted.

Nick and Olivia laughed. Rochelle smacked him. I stared at Leighanne in surprise. Now that they said it, I noticed how much fuller her face was. Her dress hid anything well.

“What do you think?” she said.

“You dog,” AJ said.

“When are you due?” Leigh asked.

“July,” Leighanne said.

“Are you excited Baylee?” Rochelle asked.

Baylee folded his arms across his chest.

“We’re working on it,” Brian said with a smile. He placed his hands on Baylee’s shoulders.

“Well, congratulations,” I said with a laugh. I did one of those ritualistic male handshakes with Brian before pulling him in for another hug. I kissed Leighanne on the cheek.

“I can never have enough second cousins,” I said with a laugh.

“Don’t say that. This is the last Brian Littrell special,” Brian said. Everyone laughed.

After awhile the group broke up. I hung out with Brian and Leighanne, visiting with Baylee. I couldn’t believe he was eight years old already.

Around eleven, everyone managed to reorganize. Baylee and James were taken back to Brian’s condo. We formed a circle just like old times.

“We ready?” Brian said. He stuck his hand in the middle of the circle. Nick’s hand shot out.

“Ready.”

AJ, Howie followed suit. The guys looked at me; I put my hand in the circle.

“C’mon girls you too,” I said.

Leighanne, Leigh, and Olivia’s hands fell upon ours.

“One…two…three…Backstreet!”

At that moment, the executives took the stage. The crowd turned their attention towards them at the tap of the microphone. Olivia turned on a video camera.

“We’re happy everyone could be here to ring in the New Year at Les Deux. On behalf of the entire Universal Music Group, we would like to introduce our newest recording artists who will record their 8th studio album in 2011. Ladies and gentlemen, Brian Littrell, AJ McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, and Kevin Richardson!”

We bounded up onstage. It felt right, being flanked by my brothers on all sides. I heard loud whistles erupt from the crowd. Howie got to the microphone first.

“On behalf of the entire group, I want to thank Universal for taking us on,” Howie said. “We’re also thrilled to announce the return of our fifth member, Kevin.”

I laughed and raised my hand in a quick wave.

“We’re going to take 2011 and make sure we can produce the best album possible. It’s time to make the music we want to make and Universal is helping us pave the way,” Howie concluded. AJ grabbed the mic.

“So without further ado, let’s ring in the New Year the right way. Backstreet’s Back!”

The rest of the night was a blur. I shook so many hands and received so many well wishes. For an hour, the five of us slouched in chairs and reminisced about all the stupid things we had done on the road. It felt good.

I only wished that Addy could have been there with me.