- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok since I keep coming back to this idea in my head... I had to do it. Yes another historical story... I would love for you opinion... It's quite different to Summer Romance but it does take place in the same time, the 1800's. Hope you enjoy and I would love your feedback!

******
I was brought up in an orphanage where discipline was the number one rule. I had no friends and learned to live with the most simplest of commodities. Well I had one friend who I lost when she died of typhoid fever leaving me all alone.

I wanted to leave this wretched place as soon as I became of age. For one I could not stand our guardian a very horrid pompous man that only was good to discipline us all. I knew I would not stay long after I turned of age and soon began to advertise myself as a governess. The only thing I was grateful of learning in the orphanage, I knew French, German and everything needed to be a governess.

I was blessed when I received the letter from Sir Alexander James of Longborn asking for my service. I obliged right away and was set to have a carriage come for me. I have not been out of this orphanage except for church and that was only a mile away in Hartford.

I was glad to leave this place and after some research in maps I realized that Longborn was a very big estate outside of Lime. I was going to be far away from this place and I honestly could not wait.

I said bid farewell to the people I learned to live with and was now on a two day Journey to Longborn were I would be the governess to young lady name Fanny Collins. I knew she was young and according to the letter a very stubborn spoiled girl that needed to be well bread.

I arrived at Longborn at midday and was greeted by the help. Lady Greta Potts was a very robust lady with a very inviting smile. She was the one to show me around and the one to apologize for Sir James not being present upon my arrival. “He is in London on business you see… but he did ask me to make sure you felt welcomed.” Mrs. Potts told me as she helped me get settled in my room.

I was still admiring the room it was nothing compared the orphanage I felt a little overwhelmed but I took a deep breath and calmed my nerves. The bed to me looked almost royal I almost did not want to sleep in it.

“Now,” Mrs. Potts told me bringing me back from my thoughts. “We do expect you down for Brunch and there you will meet Fanny… she is a very adoring child she just has not had a mother or any lady to bring her up right. I am sure you will help with that that is why Sir James hired you.”

I smiled and nodded as she walked out leaving me to my new room. I smiled as I realized that I really had been blessed and I was ready to explore Longborn it was quite grandiose.

*****

“Fanny I want you to meet Anne Phillips,” Mrs. Potts said as she held the hand of a young girl that looked no more than six years of age. “She is your governess and she will teach you how to present yourself as a well brought up young lady. Like Sir James wants you to be.”

“She is very plain Greta,” Fanny said as she eyed Anne.

“Well child she has just arrived today and has not had a chance to rest. Now need I remind you that you must be in your best behavior? Or Sir James will not get that pony you wanted.”

“Fine,” Fanny said bowing to Anne with a smirk. “I will oblige I was only commenting on her appearance.”

“Well Fanny do not worry about me you are the one that needs to stand out and that you shall. I will teach you many things from French to play the piano forte.” Anne told the young girl as she realized what the letter had meant about young Miss Fanny Collins.

“Well now that you have been acquainted why do we not head to the dinning table?” Mrs. Potts said smiling as she led the way.

*******

I knew had a lot to work on as I met the people that lived in Longborn. Fanny Collins was actually going to be hard to mold. I was also introduced to Robert James father of Alexander James who I still have to meet.

Mr. Robert James is quite ill and is only brought down to eat. He has a nurse by his side all the time a very quiet lady by the name of Jane Pierce. Aside from them the rest of the people here in Longborn are servants.

I had expected to be treated as a servant but learned that I was to dine and be at Fanny’s side at all times. I Anne Phillips now had a something new in my life. I had so many questions already and could not wait to have them answered. I was sure Mrs. Potts would be the one to answer them.