- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay finally a banner...hehe I tried. :)

*****
I woke up with a horrible headache, but I had duties. I got dressed and went to find Miss Fanny who I found sitting in the garden with Sir James. I smiled as I saw that he really did care for his niece. “Good morning,” I curtsied and smiled at Fanny who played with her porcelain doll.

“Good Morn,” Sir James said acknowledging me. I watched him clear his throat and stand up from where he sat with Fanny. “I must go I have business to tend to in Lime, I shall be back for Lunch. I would like to speak to you Miss Phillips after we eat, I will see in my study room I will make sure Mrs. Potts shows to it.” He told me in a very insipid tone and without more he walked away in haste.

“He seemed in a very amicable state just earlier,” Fanny said as she watched her uncle disappear.

“Well he is a very busy man Fanny…” I told her as I turned to look at her. “Now why don’t we start our first lesson?”

“I have no choice I have promised my uncle that I would be his pride by becoming a very proper lady he can show among London’s most important people of society. He has promised me to take me to London once I am eighteen.” I smiled at Fanny she was only six, she had a long way to go.

“Well then we shall start today’s lesson with Decorum.” I told her taking her hand as we walked back to Longborn.

*******

“Father,” Mr. James said as he walked into the dinning room kissing his father’s forehead. He handed one of his servants his hat and gloves as he walked to his chair not before kissing young Fanny as well. “How was your day my dear Fanny…did you learn anything from Miss Phillips?”

“I did sir, I learned more equations and Decorum. She is also teaching me how to play the piano forte sir… she plays like an angel she does uncle.” Fanny said excited.

Sir James only turned to look at his niece’s governess. She was plain and she seemed shy but at the mention of compliment for her playing a small pink shade was now forming on her bony cheeks. “Is that so? Well you must play for us Miss Phillips.”

Anne cleared her throat and took a deep breath, “Sir Miss Fanny is over stating my ability to play the piano forte… I am not as good as she says. I play rather well sir.”

“I would have to see for myself then, Fanny never lies to her uncle.” He said as he began to eat.

*******

“He is ready to see you,” Mrs. Potts said as she accompanied Miss Phillips to the master’s study room. “Miss Phillips can I ask a favor of you?”

“Yes of course anything,” Anne answered looking at the elderly woman with concern.

“You see Sir James is not the young boy I saw grow up here in Longborn. He has become cold to other people and he does not realize how hurtful his words could be. I ask of you to not be haste in judging him… his wife’s death and Mrs. Georgiana’s death have affected him deeply. Be patient and remember that he is rarely here so please promise me you will not leave if he scares you. He will come to acknowledge you and soon you will see the Alexander we see.”

“I have been through many things Mrs. Potts and I have no family so I should know how Sir James feels… need not to worry I will not get scared away easily.” Anne answered with a genuine smile. “Now shall we go we would not want him to get impatient do we?”

“No of course not, right this way.”

Anne sighed heavily as Mrs. Potts opened the door to where Sir James waited for her. “Sir James,” Anne said curtsying as she went into the large study room. Quickly her eyes went to the large portrait of a beautiful woman with the most greenest of the eyes almost emeralds they seemed with her beautiful red hair.

“Please do sit down and stop staring at my late wife like that. You can see why I keep it here…” Alexander said standing up from his chair and walking to his wife’s portrait.

“I do apologize sir but your wife was beautiful.” Anne said glancing down to her hands.

“I assume Mrs. Potts has talked to you about my life so I hope to have your discretion on that Miss Phillips. Now I have called you to instruct to you my expectations for you and my niece progress. I have agreed to pay you thirty pounds a year and expect for my niece to get the best education for that amount. I have supplied you with your own room and access to most of my estate. I say most because I do have one rule I forbid you the north part of Longborn…no one is allowed in the part of the estate. Do we have everything clear?”

“Perfectly understood sir.” Anne said standing up ready to leave.

“We are not finished Miss Phillips please sit.” Alexander said taking a seat in front of her. “I have something to say… I am not mean and I have nothing against you but you have to understand that my soul only bears anger and morns the loss of my wife as well as my sisters. I apologize ahead of time if I happen to hurt your feelings at some point.” Alexander said looking up his eyes meeting Miss Phillips eyes.

“Sir you have nothing to apologize about, I should know. I have dealt with such feelings when I know of no family and was raised by the hard hand of the man that ran the orphanage I called home till your letter came and saved me from it. I can only thank you for giving me such opportunity sir.” Miss Phillips gave him a smile and then sighed. “May I say something to you sir?”

Alexander smiled and only nodded as he heard her question. Somehow he did not feel anger at her forwardness and something about the way she stared at him gave him some peace of mind.

“As you have stated yourself Mrs. Potts has confided in me your tragic story…and sir I have learned that all this has happened five years ago. Do you not think as such you should move on? Do you think your late wife would want you to be like this?”

Alex stood up angrily and began to pace, “I have not asked for your opinion in this matter Mrs. Phillips…we are through talking you may leave! Now!”

Anne was startled and quickly she exited his study room. She did not how to take this sudden outburst from his part she was only trying to help his poor soul…Sir Alexander was only seven in twenty and still could find happiness if he would let go of his past she knew that.
Chapter End Notes:
ok here is chapter three let me know what you think.